The nice thing about wool work jackets is not only do they provide warmth, they also provide water-repellent protection. I like the Filson Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket because it has multiple pockets for storage, and it is made in the USA using premium 24-ounce Mackinaw Wool.
Filson first introduced this wool cruiser jacket to their line in 1914, so they have over a century worth of experience making this jacket. According to Filson, the Mackinaw wool fibers used in this jacket can be bent and flexed 20,000 times without breaking.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for best wool work coats and jackets:
- *Best Overall* – Filson Men’s Wind-Resistant Wool Work Jacket (click here to view)
- Best Cruiser Style – Filson Men’s USA Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket (click here to view)
- Best Western Style – Schaefer Outfitters Arena Western Wool Jacket (click here to view)
- Best Packer Coat – Filson Men’s USA Lined Wool Packer Coat (click here to view)
- Best Shirt Jacket – Filson Men’s USA Unlined 100% Wool Jac-Shirt (click here to view)
- Best Zip-Front – L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Wool Zip-Front Guide Jacket (click here to view)
- Best Rancher Style – Schaefer Outfitters Big Country Wool Rancher Coat (click here to view)
- Best Parka Style – L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Guide Wool Parka (click here to view)
- Best Women’s – L.L. Bean Insulated Maine Guide Wool Parka (click here to view)
- Best Women’s Shirt Jacket – Pendleton Wool Quilt-Lined Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Best Women’s Chore – Schaefer Outfitters Big Country Wool Rancher Coat (click here to view)
Obviously, there are a wide range of wool work jackets and coats. Some have extra insulation, and some do not. If you are working in a mild climate, a wool shirt jacket might make the most sense.
It can be difficult to find a wool work coat that also has an attached hood. Filson does offer their Mackinaw Wool Jacket in a version that has a removable hood (this jacket is linked in the list above).
Most wool jackets and coats will need to be dry cleaned, but there are some that use a wool fabric blend that is machine washable. Sometimes wool blend garments do not offer as much natural water protection, so be sure to read the descriptions on these jackets.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best wool jackets for work so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying these types of wool work coats and jackets.
Best Men’s Wool Work Jackets
Filson Men’s USA Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket
Filson is a clothing company based in Seattle WA that has a deep-rooted tradition in providing heavy-duty dependable workwear. Their founder, C.C. Filson, opened shop in 1897 and, at that time, specialized in making ultra-tough, ultra-dependable clothing for stampeders heading north for the Klondike Gold Rush.
Modern day, they’ve transitioned into a company that provides a wide range of outdoor gear (not just workwear). Their gear can be worn by fisherman, loggers, miners, engineers, explorers, and even just everyday folk looking for rugged casualwear. They offer many wool work coats and jackets.
This is what the Filson Wool Cruiser Jacket looks like available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to filson.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This Filson wool work jacket is made using 24-ounce Mackinaw wool. Filson’s Mackinaw wool comes from a small herd of sheep in the northwestern United States and Canada. Filson claims that their wool will absorb as much as 30% of its own weight in moisture without becoming damp, and they say the wool can be bent and flexed 20,000 times without breaking.
- History – This Filson jacket was first introduced in 1914 as the C.C. Filson Wool Cruising Shirt, and through feedback and improvements has, over time, developed into this warm cruiser jacket (what is a cruiser jacket). This jacket is still made in the USA. If you prefer Cruiser/Trucker style wool jackets, visit our article about the best wool trucker jackets.
- Pockets – This Filson jacket has four front-side snap-close pockets to give you plenty of storage space. One of the chest pockets is slotted so it can store small tools and other essentials. The two botton front-side pockets also open from the side to act as hand warmers. There is an internal chest pocket, and a pass-through back pocket.
- Weather Protection – This Filson wool jacket is wind-resistant and can insulate in both wet and dry conditions. The wool fabric is naturally water-repellent to help keep you dry on those cool, rainy days.
Click here to buy this Filson wool work jacket available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com). This jacket needs to be dry cleaned.
Filson Made in USA 100% Wool Jac-Shirt
If you are looking for a wool work jacket for mild temperatures, this Filson shirt jacket is a nice option. Just like the Filson Cruiser we discussed above, this Filson Wool Shirt Jacket has been part of the Filson line for many decades.
This is what the Filson Wool Shirt Jac looks like available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to filson.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This Filson wool shirt jacket is made using 18-ounce wool. It is made with 100% wool and does not use a wool blend. This jacket is warm enough to be worn as an outer layer on its own, but also functions nicely as a layer underneath a work jacket. It is sewn in Filson’s Seattle facility using imported parts.
- Insulated Version – This shirt jacket is unlined. But Filson does offer a fully-lined version of this wool shirt jacket. This is what the flannel-lined version of this Filson Wool Shirt Jacket looks like available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to filson.com).
- Design – This Filson shirt jacket has a rugged, but casual design that blends in nicely anywhere from a field to a barstool. It has a straight hem that looks good untucked. It features two flap-close chest pockets with a traditional button-front design. This is a Filson classic – they first introduced this wool shirt jac to their line of apparel over 50 years ago.
- Weather Protection – This Filson wool shirt jacket is wind-resistant and can insulate in both wet and dry conditions. The wool fabric is naturally water-repellent to offer additional weather protection.
Click here to buy this Filson wool shirt jac available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com). This jacket needs to be dry cleaned. To read about more shirt jackets, visit our article about the best wool shirt jackets.
LL Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket
It can be difficult to find zip-front wool work jackets. If you prefer a zip-front design over a button-front design, L.L. Bean does offer their popular wool guide shirt in a zip-front version.
Click here to view this L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This zip up wool jacket is made with a wool/nylon 11-ounce fabric wool blend that needs to be dry cleaned. It has a squared bottom hem.
- Insulation – This L.L. Bean wool zip shirt jacket is insulated with 40 grams of PrimaLoft insulation for added warmth and comfort. In my experience, this amount of insulation is good for mild winter conditions, and also functions nicely as a layer under a winter jacket for more extreme conditions.
- Design – As we discussed above, this is a zip front jacket. Their are two exterior chest pockets, and two hand-warmer pockets. It has an attached exterior wool cape that helps insulate the shoulders in wet conditions, and can help keep moisture out of the pockets.
Click here to buy this L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com). This wool jacket needs to be dry cleaned.
Best Men’s Wool Work Coats
Wool work coats are nice because they often finish past the waist for extra weather protection. Some wool work jackets (for example, the Filson wool cruiser jacket at the top of my list) will also finish past the waist, but coats often provide more coverage than jackets.
Here are two wool work coats for you to consider:
- Schaefer Outfitters Big Country Wool Rancher Coat – Schaefer Outfitters is a US-based outdoor workwear brand that makes a wide range of ranch-style clothing, including this wool rancher coat. This wool work coat is made in the USA using 24-ounce wool and is lined with premium-grade taffeta. It has a leather collar, plenty of pockets for storage, and features both a zip and snap-button front. Click here to view this Schaefer Outfitters wool work coat (link takes you to SchaeferOutfitter.com).
- Patagonia Men’s Woolie Chore Coat – This Patagonia wool chore coat has a casual, yet functional design with multiple front-side pockets for storage. It is made with a recycled wool blend that has nylon added to help improve the overall durability of the coat. It has full button-front design and features an internal chest pocket which gives you a place to store your phone or other essentials. This coat will finish around the hips. Click here to view this Patagonia wool work coat (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com).
Best Women’s Wool Work Jackets & Coats
- L.L. Bean Women’s Insulated Maine Guide Wool Parka – This L.L. Bean women’s wool parka is made with a wool/nylon fabric blend. The nylon helps add a bit of durability to the jacket. One thing that is nice about this parka is it has an internal zip-close pocket, which gives you a nice place to store essentials. This parka is insulated with PrimaLoft insulation for warmth. This is a zip-front coat, which makes it unique. Click here to view this L.L. Bean women’s wool work jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com).
- Patagonia Women’s Wool Canvas Out Yonder Work Coat – This Patagonia women’s wool work coat uses a blend of wool and canvas to create a coat that is both durable and comfortable. It has a drop tail design that finishes past the waist. Canvas on the sleeves helps add abrasion resistance. This jacket is insulated for warmth and features a zip and snap-button front. Click here to view this Patagonia women’s wool work coat (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com).
- Filson Women’s Mackinaw Wool USA Trapper Coat – This Filson women’s wool trapper coat is made in the USA using premium 24-ounce Mackinaw Wool. It has a shearling-lined collar that provides warmth, and style, around the neck. The body of this coat is flannel-lined for warmth. This coat has two flap-close front pockets, and an internal zip-close pocket. Click here to view this Filson women’s wool work coat available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
4 Things to Consider When Buying Wool Work Jackets
Even unlined wool jackets and coats can provide adequate warmth on a cool fall or spring day. But if you need something for winter, buying an insulated wool jacket will be your best option. For example, many wool jackets will either use a lining for warmth (like flannel), or they will use a synthetic insulation to add warmth (like PrimaLoft).
Also, some wool work jackets (like the Filson’s Double Mackinaw Hooded Jacket) will use a double layering of the wool to help add extra insulation. Click here to view that Filson Double Mackinaw Jacket available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
Although wool is naturally water-repellent, that doesn’t mean it will keep you dry in a heavy rain storm. If you are working in consistently wet conditions, a waterproof jacket would be a better choice. To read about options, visit our article about the best insulated waterproof jackets.
To read specifically about merino wool, visit our article that discusses the warmth of merino wool.
Wool has many good qualities that are useful for workwear, like being naturally water-repellent and stain-resistant, but one drawback to using wool for a work jacket is wool may not be durable enough for all jobs. If you need something ultra durable, would a canvas work jacket or a denim work jacket be a better option?
If you want to do a deeper diver on options, visit my article about the best work jackets.
One thing about wool work jackets and wool work coats, is they are very comfortable to wear. Many shirt jackets are also comfortable to wear, and might be a nice alternative to wool if you are searching for a mild work jacket. To read about options, visit our articles linked below:
- Best fleece lined shirt jackets
- Best Sherpa lined shirt jackets for warmth
- Best Snap Flannel Shirt Jackets
- Best corduroy shirt jackets for fall
- Best zip front shirt jackets
- Best flannel shirt jackets with hood
- Best quilted shirt jackets
- Best Corduroy Jackets with hood
Almost all wool work coat and jackets feature both external and internal pockets for storage. I think the internal pocket is important because it gives me a safe place to store essentials like keys, wallet, and phone to keep them out of the elements.
One thing I really like about Filson’s Wool Cruiser Jacket is it has a lot of pockets for storage. It has four flap-close pockets, two hand pockets, a slotted pocket, an internal pocket, and a back pass-through pocket. If you need storage, I think that’s your best option.