I like zip shirt jackets because they are easy to take on and off, which means I don’t have to sit there and wrestle endlessly with buttons. I own the Legendary Whitetails Maplewood Zip Flannel Shirt Jacket and like it because it uses 130 grams of Poly-fil insulation to keep me warm even on colder winter days. If you prefer wool, the LL Bean Zip Front Shirt Jacket below also uses insulation for added warmth.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best zip up shirt jackets:
- Legendary Whitetails Men’s Maplewood Flannel Zip Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- LL Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Legendary Whitetails Men’s Berber Lined Zip Flannel Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Zenthace Men’s Sherpa Lined Full Zip Hooded Plaid Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Express Long Sleeve Zip Up Denim Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* LL Bean Scotch Plaid Zip Front Flannel Shirt (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Zenthace Sherpa Lined Zip Up Plaid Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
One of the first things you will need to consider is whether or not you want an attached hood for your zip front shirt jacket. Like I mentioned at the top, I prefer the Legendary Whitetails Maplewood Zip Flannel Shirt Jacket because I think it is warmer than most other shirt jackets. And, yes, it does have a built-in hood for added warmth. Here is mine:
I also like the fact that the Legendary Whitetails jacket not only has the full zip front, but it also has a button closure so I can protect the zipper from moisture when needed. This jacket has a quilt-lining with Poly-fil insulation for warmth, but overall is not bulky or heavy.
In this article, let’s take a closer look at the best zip shirt jackets so you can find an option that fits your needs. I also want to discuss several things to consider when buying these types of shirt jackets.
Best Full Zip Shirt Jackets
Legendary Whitetails Men’s Maplewood Hooded Zip Flannel Shirt Jacket
Legendary Whitetails is a great brand to consider if you are looking for a flannel shirt jacket to wear. They make mostly outdoor casual gear, and these shirt jackets are very popular and can function as a hooded work jacket or simply as a casual jacket.
Here’s what the Legendary Whitetails Men’s Maplewood Hooded Flannel Shirt Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Legendary Whitetails zip up shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This 100% cotton yarn-dyed flannel hooded jacket features a quilted satin-lined body, which allows for easy on and off. The hood is made of a double-lined fleece.
- Closure – There is a zippered entry placket as well as a button closure sure to keep the warm in and the cold out. This is one of the few flannel jackets that have both a zip and button front.
- Insulation – This jacket is very warm for a shirt jacket. I use it even on some colder days. No, it won’t replace a heavyweight winter jacket, but for a shirt jacket, it is quite warm. The body is filled with 130 grams of Poly-fil insulation for additional warmth.
- Non Bulky – One thing I love about using this type of insulation is it provides warmth without being bulky. As you can see below, the body of my jacket measures at only 1.52mm in thickness. Overall, my size medium weighs only 2.06 pounds:
- Pockets – Two chest pockets allow for storage of a cell phone or wallet while side hand-warming pockets make blustery days more bearable. A slot on the left chest pocket ensures that pencils and pens stay put.
This will be one of the warmest zip shirt jackets on this list. In general, most shirt jackets are for fall/spring, but this jacket has 130 grams of poly-fill insulation, so it’s more than just a spring jacket. If you prefer warmer shirt jackets, you can read more by visiting our article about insulated shirt jackets.
No, this won’t be a jacket that can handle sub-zero winter environments, but depending on your own personal comfort level, you may be able to use this jacket on certain winter days as well.
Ultimately, how active you are on the job, and how you personally handle the cold, will determine how suitable this jacket is for you in winter. Like most shirt jackets, this jacket has that unique versatility that allows it to fit in both casually and on the job.
Click here to buy this Legendary Whitetails flannel hooded jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket is machine washable.
LL Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket
L.L. Bean is well-known for their wool guide shirts, and they do offer a zip-front version as well. Wool jackets are great because they stay warm even when wet, and wool itself is naturally water-repellent, which provides even more weather protection to the jacket.
Click here to view this L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This zip up shirt jacket is made with a wool/nylon 11-ounce fabric blend that needs to be dry cleaned. It has a squared bottom hem.
- Insulation – This L.L. Bean wool zip shirt jacket is insulated with 40 grams of PrimaLoft insulation for added warmth and comfort. In my experience, this amount of insulation is good for mild winter conditions, and also functions nicely as a layer under a winter jacket for more extreme conditions.
- Design – Yes, this is a zip front shirt jacket. Their are two exterior chest pockets, and two hand-warmer pockets. It has an attached exterior wool cape that helps insulate the shoulders in wet conditions, and can help keep moisture out of the pockets.
Click here to buy this L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Zip Front Shirt Jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com). If you prefer wool, and want to read about more options, visit our article about the best wool shirt jackets.
Legendary Whitetails Men’s Berber Lined Zip Flannel Shirt Jacket
The first Legendary Whitetails zip shirt jacket that we discussed above had an attached hood. If you don’t want a hood, this will be a nice option for you. Here’s what this Legendary Whitetails Berber Lined Zip Flannel looks like:
This is the current price of this Legendary Whitetails zip shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Design – This zip up shirt jacket is made with 100% cotton flannel and is lined with Berber fleece. It has snap-button cuffs that are very easy to adjust. This is a collared jacket with no attached hood.
- Lining – This zip front shirt jacket is lined with soft Berber fleece. Below is a look at the Berber lining on my Legendary Whitetails jacket. It is very soft against the skin, and provides nice warmth.
- Pockets – This jacket has plenty of storage space, including two large chest pockets. There are side seam hand-warmer pockets and also an internal pocket to give you a place to safely store essentials.
Click here to buy this Legendary Whitetails zip front shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket is machine washable.
Other Zip Up Shirt Jackets to Consider
- Zenthace Men’s Sherpa Lined Full Zip Hooded Plaid Shirt Jacket – This Zenthace zip flannel shirt jacket has a warm Sherpa lining, and also has that Sherpa lining in the sleeves. It has an attached hood that is knit lined for warmth. Snap sleeve cuffs are easy to adjust when needed. Nice for cool spring/fall days, or as a layering piece in the brutal cold. Click here to view this Zenthace zip up shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Express Long Sleeve Zip Up Denim Shirt Jacket – Looking for a denim zip shirt jacket? This Express denim shirt jacket is unlined, which means it’s best used in more mild conditions during the spring and fall. This jacket has one chest pockets and adjustable button cuffs. Click here to view this Express zip front denim shirt jacket (affiliate link takes you to express.com).
- Women’s LL Bean Scotch Plaid Zip Front Flannel Shirt – If you are shopping for a women’s zip shirt jacket, this L.L. Bean Scotch Plaid Flannel Shirt Jacket is a nice option. It is made with high-quality Portuguese cotton flannel. This is a hooded shirt jacket, but it is not lined, so it is best used in mild fall and spring conditions. Full zip front with a rounded hem that provides some warmth below the waist. Click here to view this women’s zip flannel shirt jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Zip Shirt Jackets
Yes, shirt jackets provide warmth, but don’t expect them to take on brutally cold winter conditions. If you buy an unlined zip flannel shirt jacket, expect it to provide warmth only in mild conditions. I like to use lined shirt jackets that provide more warmth and can even handle certain winter days. But still, they don’t replace a heavyweight winter jacket.
If you are looking for a warm shirt jacket to use for winter temperatures, choosing an insulated shirt jacket might be best. For example, the Legendary Whitetails Maplewood Plaid Flannel Jacket that I own uses Poly-fil insulation for warmth:
One thing I love about shirt jackets is they also act as great layering pieces during the brutal winter months. But just don’t expect these zip up shirt jackets to take on extreme conditions and keep you warm. If you like warmer shirt jacket, visit our article about the best Sherpa lined shirt jackets.
Another way to add warmth to your shirt jacket is to buy a shirt jacket that has an attached hood. As I mentioned earlier in the article, I own the Legendary Whitetails Maplewood Jacket that does come with an attached hood. I appreciate the extra warmth. To read about more options, visit our article about the hooded flannel shirt jackets.
But if you don’t want an attached hood, I’d recommend the L.L. Bean Men’s Maine Wool Guide Jacket which uses PrimaLoft insulation for added warmth. Click here to view this L.L. Bean shirt jacket that doesn’t have a hood (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com).
Are you planning to wear this shirt jacket casually? If so, a corduroy shirt jacket might be another good options. To read more, visit our article about the best corduroy shirt jackets.
Almost all zip shirt jackets come with chest pockets for storage. Some options, like the Express Denim Shirt Jacket on our list, may just have one chest pocket, but most options have two chest pockets.
The biggest thing you will need to consider regarding pockets, is do you want handwarmer pockets? Even though most shirt jacket come with hand-warmer pockets, not all options do, so be sure to confirm the jacket you choose has hand-warmer pockets if you prefer them.
Will you be using this zip front shirt jacket for work? If so, would you be interested in something more durable? These insulated shirt jackets often have soft outer shell fabrics which, yes, are very comfortable, but aren’t abrasion resistant.
If you need something durable, canvas shirt jackets are made with durable cotton canvas outer shell fabric that is more abrasion-resistant than other materials. To read more, visit our article about the best canvas shirt jackets.
I also like to wear the Filson Hyder Jacket which uses a durable, quilted outer shell fabric. To read more, visit my article about the best quilted shirt jackets.
Button Front vs Zip Front Shirt Jackets
One of the huge benefits of a zip up shirt jacket is it is much easier to get on and off than a button-front shirt jacket. Wrestling with the buttons can be a pain. But there is one exception that might work for you. Have you considered a snap-button shirt jacket? Snap buttons are very easy to take on and off, even if you are wearing gloves.
For example, I like the Filson fleece lined shirt jacket. It has a rugged outdoor style, and is made with durable cotton canvas and a 7-ounce fleece lining for warmth. And, yes, it has snap buttons for an easy on/off. Click here to view this Filson shirt jacket (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com). These snap button shirt jackets act as a nice alternative to zip shirt jackets in case you don’t like your zip options.