A dependable quilted shirt jacket can become that first line of defense when the cold weather starts to set in. I like the Filson Quilted Hyder Shirt Jacket because the outer fabric is water-resistant and stands up strong to the wind, and the jacket is insulated with PrimaLoft insulation for added warmth without the bulk.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best quilted shirt jackets:
- Filson Quilted Water-Resistant Hyder Jacket (click here to view)
- Flint and Tinder Men’s Quilted Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Wrangler Men’s Lined Quilted Flannel Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Relwen Men’s Quilted Lined Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Wellen Men’s Seawool Bubble Quilted Jacket (click here to view)
- L.L. Bean Men’s Quilted Snap Overshirt (click here to view)
- *Big & Tall* Boulder Creek® Quilt Lined Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Dickies Quilted Plaid Flannel Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* L.L. Bean Quilted Quarter-Zip Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Levi’s Women’s Diamond Quilted Jacket (click here to view)
All of these shirt jackets have the quilt design on the outside of the jacket. If you are looking for a flannel shirt jacket that has a quilted inner lining, then visit our article about the best insulated shirt jackets.
Obviously, not all shirt jackets are made the same. For example, the outer shell fabric can have a huge impact on what type of climate and environment the shirt jacket can handle.
The Filson shirt jacket and the Flint and Tinder shirt jackets on the list above use a waxed outer shell fabric that allows the fabric to be water-resistant, and also helps add wind and abrasion protection. More casual styles of shirt jackets will use simple cotton outer shell fabrics that are soft and comfortable, but not water-repellent or abrasion-resistant.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best quilted shirt jackets so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying these types of shirt jackets.
Best Quilted Shirt Jackets
Filson Quilted Water-Resistant Hyder Shirt Jacket
Filson is a clothing company based in Seattle WA that has a deep-rooted tradition in providing heavy-duty dependable workwear. Their founder, C.C. Filson, opened shop in 1897 and, at that time, specialized in making ultra-tough, ultra-dependable clothing for stampeders heading north for the Klondike Gold Rush.
Modern day, they’ve transitioned into a company that provides a wide range of outdoor gear (not just workwear). Their gear can be worn by fisherman, loggers, miners, engineers, explorers, and even just everyday folk looking for rugged casualwear.
Here’s what my Filson Quilted Hyder Shirt Jacket looks like:
Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This Filson shirt jacket is made with a cotton/nylon outer shell blend that has been treated with what Filson calls a “dry-hand feel wax” to help make the fabric water-resistant and “virtually windproof”. Overall, this is not a stiff fabric and is quite comfortable to wear. Here’s a look at my Filson Hyder Shirt Jacket:
- Design – This Filson shirt jacket has a rugged, but casual design that blends in nicely anywhere from a field to a barstool. It features two flap-close chest pockets with a snap button-front design. The collar is accented with Moleskin cotton to add a bit of warmth in a way that stands out.
- Non-Bulky Warmth – This quilted shirt jacket uses PrimaLoft for insulation, which is a synthetic insulation. The thing I like about synthetic insulation is it provides warmth without being too heavy or bulky. I feel like this jacket keeps me warm in just about everything except the bitter cold. My size medium Filson Hyder Jacket weighs 1.71 pounds and measures at 1.79mm thick:
- Sizing – In my experience, this Filson shirt jacket fits true to size. It does have a drop tail that will finish below the waist. Here’s a look at my size medium Filson Hyder Jacket compared to a size medium Hanes t-shirt:
Overall, this is a rugged shirt jacket that has the durability needed for an outdoor environment, but is still stylish and quite comfortable to wear. Because it is insulated, it will provide more warmth than most other shirt jackets on the market today.
Flint and Tinder Men’s Quilted Waxed Shirt Jacket
Flint and Tinder offers a waxed quilted men’s shirt jacket that is very similar to the Filson jacket we just discussed. Probably the biggest difference, from a design perspective, is this Flint and Tinder jacket uses a contrast orange inner lining to make the inside of the jacket stand out a little bit more than the Filson jacket above.
This is what the Flint and Tinder Quilted Waxed Shirt Jacket looks like available at Huckberry.com (affiliate link takes you to Huckberry.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This Flint and Tinder jacket uses a cotton canvas shell that, like the Filson shirt jacket above, has been was treated to make it water-repellent, and help it stand up better to wind and abrasions. Just like the Filson jacket, this Flint and Tinder jacket has the quilted pattern on the outside of the jacket.
- Design – This Flint and Tinder shirt jacket has a rugged, but casual design that blends in nicely anywhere from a field to a barstool. It features two flap-close chest pockets with a snap button-front design. A couple design differences compared to Filson: this jacket does not have a moleskin cotton collar, and this jacket has a orange contrast inner lining.
- Non-Bulky Warmth – This jacket uses PrimaLoft for insulation. As we discussed earlier, PrimaLoft is a synthetic insulation that is very good at trapping heat, but is non-bulky and lightweight. This jacket uses soft polyester as the inner lining fabric.
Again, the overall design of this quilted shirt jacket is very similar to the Filson jacket above. The main differences are this jacket does not use a different type of fabric on the collar, and this jacket uses an orange inner lining that adds contrast to the jacket.
This Flint and Tinder jacket also has an internal zip-close pocket for storing essentials, and the Filson jacket does not have an internal zip pocket. Overall, both of these jackets have a rugged, casual design that adds weather protection due to the wax finish.
Click here to buy this Flint and Tinder shirt jacket available at Huckberry.com (affiliate link takes you to Huckberry.com). This jacket has a regular fit that runs true to size.
Levi’s Men’s Stretch Cotton Diamond Quilted Shirt Jacket
This Levi’s jacket is quite different than the first two shirt jackets we discussed. The Filson jacket and the Flint and Tinder jacket were waxed shirt jackets built to handle more rugged environments.
If you are looking for more of a casual shirt jacket built solely for comfort and style, this Levi’s shirt jacket will be a nice option. It is made with stretch cotton fabric so that it provides a comfortable and flexible fit.
- Material – This Levi’s shirt jacket is made with a stretch cotton fabric blend so that it has a flexible fit that moves with you as you move. It has a cotton flannel lining for added warmth.
- Design – This Levi’s shirt jacket has some significant design differences compared to the first two options. First, this outer fabric is not waxed, which means this jacket is not water-resistant. But it also means this jacket will be a bit more comfortable to wear, and easier to clean. Also, this jacket has both a snap-button and a zip front. The other two jackets above do not have a zipper.
This jacket has a drop-tail design which adds extra coverage on the backside of the jacket. It has a traditional collared design with adjustable sleeve cuffs.
Other Quilted Shirt Jackets to Consider
- Patagonia Men’s Silent Down Shirt Jacket – This Patagonia shirt jacket has a quilted, puffer design with down insulation that makes it very unique compared to most shirt jackets on the market today. It uses 700-fill recycled down and the polyester shell is water-resistant. Despite being a puffer jacket, it is designed like a shirt with two flap-close chest pockets and a snap-button front.
- Express Quilted Men’s Shirt Jacket – This Express quilted shirt jacket is another casual option that uses a comfortable stretch cotton material that has a flexible design. It has a horizontal quilting which makes the pattern a bit different than some of the other options on this list. A snap button-front with chest pockets and straight hem gives it a traditional design.
- Women’s Dickies Quilted Flannel Shirt Jacket – This Dickies women’s insulated shirt jacket has a quilted exterior made of brushed flannel and is jersey lined for warmth. It features a snap-button front with two chest pockets and two hand-warmer pockets. Rounded hem provides coverage below the waist. Click here to view this Dickies women’s insulated shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
6 Things to Consider When Buying Quilted Shirt Jackets
Obviously, the warmth of a shirt jacket is greatly impacted by whether or not it has an insulated lining. Not all quilted shirt jackets will have a lining.
An unlined shirt jacket is best used for mildly cool fall and spring days. Although lined shirt jackets may not be warm enough to take on extreme temperatures, in my experience they are warm enough to handle certain winter days that aren’t brutally cold.
This is why I like the Flint and Tinder and Filson shirt jackets at the top of the list because they use PrimaLoft insulation to add warmth in a way that is non-bulky and lightweight. If you actually prefer mild jackets, and want to see other quilted options, visit our article about the best quilted bomber jackets.
Another way to add warmth to your shirt jacket is to buy a jacket that has an attached hood. Unfortunatley, it is very difficult to find quilted shirt jackets that have an attached hood.
If you are interested in a shirt jacket that has a hood, you may need to consider buying a flannel shirt jacket. Again, most of these options will not be quilted on the outside, but many of them do have an internal quilted lining. To see options, visit my article about the best flannel hooded shirt jackets.
One benefit to buying a waxed shirt jacket is it provides extra weather protection that most shirt jackets do not provide. The wax treatment makes the fabric water-repellent, and adds protection against light precipitation. It also makes the jacket stronger against wind and abrasions.
Both the Filson shirt jacket and the Flint and Tinder shirt jacket on the list at the top of the page use a waxed fabric that provides weather protection to the garment. Wool is naturally water-repellent and might be another nice option if you need a jacket that can take on the occasional light rain shower (shirt jackets made with wool).
Other Shirt Jackets to Consider
If you don’t like your options when it comes to quilted shirt jackets, there are plenty of other options on the market today to consider. To view more options, visit our shirt jackets articles linked below:
Button vs Zip Shirt Jacket
Most shirt jackets have a button-front design, but there are exceptions. For example, the Levi’s stretch cotton quilted jacket on our list has both a button and zip front. Click here to view this Levi’s zip-front shirt jacket (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
If you want more zip-front options, visit our article about the best zip front shirt jackets. If you frequently use work gloves, and prefer buttons, finding a shirt jacket that uses snap buttons may be best. For options, visit our article about the best snap flannels.
Will you be using this quilted shirt jacket for work? If so, buying a jacket with a durable exterior will be very important (shirt jackets made with canvas).
Many shirt jackets on the market today are made with cotton flannel, and don’t offer abrasion resistance. This is another reason why I like the Filson Hyder Shirt Jacket at the top of our list.
The Filson shirt jacket is made with a cotton/nylon fabric blend, that has Filson’s “dry-hand feel wax” treatment added to the exterior, which makes it more durable than cotton flannel.