A comfortable hooded flannel shirt jacket can become your best friend when the weather starts to take a turn in those late fall, early spring months. I like the Legendary Whitetails Berber-Lined Hooded Flannel Jacket because I think the Berber lining is the most comfortable lining I’ve ever worn in a shirt jacket.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best hooded flannel shirt jackets:
- Legendary Whitetails Berber-Lined Hooded Flannel Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Dickies Men’s Hooded Relaxed Fit Flannel Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Wrangler Authentics Flannel Shirt Jacket with Hood (click here to view)
- Legendary Whitetails Maplewood Hooded Flannel Jacket (click here to view)
- CQR Men’s Hooded Quilted Lined Flannel Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Gioberti Men’s Hoodie Plaid Checkered Flannel Button Down Shirt (click here to view)
- Legendary Whitetails Men’s Backwoods Hooded Flannel Jacket (click here to view)
- *Big & Tall* King Size Boulder Creek Flannel Shirt Jacket with Hood (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Legendary Whitetails Lumber Jane Hooded Flannel Shirt (click here to view)
- *Women’s* LL Bean Scotch Plaid Zip Front Hoodie Flannel Shirt (click here to view)
As I mentioned above, I like the Legendary Whitetails Berber-Lined Flannel Shirt Jacket because I think the lining is more comfortable than all other shirt jackets that I have tried. This jacket uses Berber fleece and provides nice warmth during those cool fall and spring days, and can even keep me warm on mild winter days. Here’s a look at mine:
Another thing I like about this Legendary Whitetails hoodie flannel jacket is it has a snap-button front, which makes it much easier to wear than a jacket with traditional buttons. No, this jacket can’t take on extreme temperatures, but I think it is one of the warmest shirt jackets I’ve ever worn, and it even keeps me warm on mild winter days.
I also like to wear the Legendary Whitetails Maplewood Jacket. It has a little bit different design than the jacket above. This Maplewood jacket has both a zip and a button-front, and will be the better option if you personally prefer a zip-front jacket. It uses 130 grams of insulation and is also quite warm compared to most shirt jackets.
Here’s a look at mine:
Overall, this type of lining feels more like a traditional jacket, and I like the lining of the first Legendary Whitetails jacket a bit more, because I like Berber fleece. But both of these hooded flannel shirt jackets provide nice warmth that can, in my opinion, handle even mild winter days. If you prefer a zip-front hoodie flannel jacket, this second option will be best.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best hooded flannel jackets so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying these types of hooded flannel jackets.
Best Hooded Flannel Shirt Jackets
Legendary Whitetails Berber-Lined Hooded Flannel Shirt Jacket
Legendary Whitetails is a great brand to consider if you are looking for a shirt jacket to wear. They make mostly outdoor casual gear, and these shirt jackets are very popular and can function as a hooded work jacket or simply as a casual jacket.
Here I am wearing my Legendary Whitetails Men’s Camp Night hoodie flannel jacket:
This is the current price of this Legendary Whitetails hooded flannel shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Style – This is one of the few lined shirt jackets on the market that also has a built-in hood (we cover another hooded option next). This shirt jacket blends in easily as a casual jacket you can keep by the door and wear practically anywhere. Here is mine:
- Type of Lining – Soft, thick, 100% Berber lines the inside of this cotton flannel jacket while fleece lines the hood. This jacket also uses Poly-fil insulation for added warmth. This jacket keeps me warm on cool spring and fall days, and even some winter days. No, it’s not warm enough to take on extreme temperatures, but it is quite warm for a shirt jacket.
- Non Bulky – This jacket, despite providing nice warmth, is not too bulky or too heavy. My size medium weighs 2.11 pounds and the body of the jacket measures at 1.72mm in thickness.
- Design – This jacket does have hand-warmer side pockets. It also has two chest pockets that are perfect for stashing essentials. Reinforced elbow patches help this jacket stand up against the great outdoors and give it a unique rugged casual style. This jacket has a snap button front which makes it easy to get on and off.
I love this jacket. The Berber fleece lining is very warm, and in my experience, this fleece is a bit warmer to wear than a flannel lined shirt jacket. This jacket blends in nicely with jeans and a t-shirt and is a jacket I can leave by the door during the spring and fall and wear practically anywhere.
Click here to buy of this Legendary Whitetails hoodie flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). In my experience, this jacket fits true to size. It is machine washable.
Wrangler Authentics Men’s Flannel Shirt Jacket with Hood
Wrangler is a well-known name in workwear, and they do have a popular hooded flannel shirt jacket. This is another lined hooded flannel jacket that will provide nice warmth on cool fall and spring days.
Here’s what this Wrangler flannel jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Wrangler hooded flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Type of Lining – A black, diamond-quilted polyester lines this 100% brushed flannel, relaxed-fit jacket. The hood is lined with a soft, jersey knit providing a blend of warmth and comfort.
- Pockets – In addition to the two chest pockets, this jacket has two side pockets perfect for protecting hands or stashing car keys.
- Sleeve Lining – The sleeves are also lined with the quilted polyester that lines the body of the jacket. A roomy cut in the arms allows for unrestricted movement.
- Front Closure – Heavy-duty plastic buttons on the front and on the cuffs provide durability and ensures that warmth stays trapped inside. These are not snap buttons.
- Unique Features – An extra roomy cut makes this jacket ideal for layering on chilly days. Available in sizes up to 3XL, there is something available for almost everyone.
Click here to buy this Wrangler hoodie flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket has a relaxed fit that won’t hug tight against your body. It is machine washable.
Legendary Whitetails Men’s Maplewood Hooded Zip Flannel Shirt Jacket
This is another Legendary Whitetails shirt jacket that I own. This insulated shirt jacket is a bit different than the Legendary Whitetails Berber fleece lined shirt jacket we discussed at the top because this jacket uses just synthetic Poly-Fil insulation to line the jacket. This type of insulation is good at trapping heat without being heavy or bulky.
Here’s what the Legendary Whitetails Men’s Maplewood Hooded Flannel Shirt Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Legendary Whitetails hoodie flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This 100% cotton yarn-dyed flannel hooded jacket features a quilted satin-lined body, which allows for easy on and off. The hood is made of a double-lined fleece.
- Closure – There is a zippered entry placket as well as a button closure sure to keep the warm in and the cold out. This is one of the few flannel jackets that have both a zip and button front.
- Insulation – This insulated shirt jacket is very warm for a shirt jacket. I use it even on some colder days. No, it won’t replace a heavyweight winter jacket, but for a shirt jacket, it is quite warm. The body is filled with 130 grams of Poly-fil insulation for additional warmth.
- Non Bulky – One thing I love about using this type of insulation is it provides warmth without being bulky. Fleece and flannel lined shirt jackets are also non-bulky, but in my experience, this type of synthetic insulation is usually even thinner. As you can see below, the body of my jacket measures at only 1.52mm in thickness. Overall, my size medium weighs only 2.06 pounds:
- Pockets – Two chest pockets allow for storage of a cell phone or wallet while side hand-warming pockets make blustery days more bearable. A slot on the left chest pocket ensures that pencils and pens stay put.
Just like the first Legendary Whitetails Berber Lined Jacket, this Maplewood jacket is one of the warmest shirt jackets I have tried. The big difference here is this jacket has a zip-front which might make it easier to take on and off for those of you who hate wrestling with buttons.
No, this won’t be a jacket that can handle sub-zero winter environments, but depending on your own personal comfort level, you may be able to use this jacket on certain winter days as well.
Ultimately, how active you are on the job, and how you personally handle the cold, will determine how suitable this jacket is for you in winter. Like most hoodie flannel jackets, this jacket has that unique versatility that allows it to fit in both casually and on the job.
Click here to buy this Legendary Whitetails hooded flannel shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket is machine washable.
Dickies Men’s Hooded Relaxed Fit Hooded Flannel Jacket
Dickies is popular because they make dependable workwear for a wide range of jobs. One cool thing about this Dickies jacket is the flannel fabric is treated so that jacket is water-repellent.
Here’s what this Dickies hooded flannel jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Dickies hooded flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Design – This relaxed fit, hoodie flannel jacket has a 100% cotton flannel shell and a quilted lining for warmth. It has two lower side seam pockets are accompanied by two chest pockets with snap-flap closures.
- Front Closure – A front-zip and snap-front closure does wonders to keep the chill outside where it belongs, and makes this hooded flannel jacket very easy to take on and off.
- Water-Repellent – This is one of the few flannel jackets on the market today that has fabric treated to be water-repellent. No, don’t expect this jacket to take on a monsoon and keep you dry, but it will be capable of repelling light rain and snow.
Click here to buy this Dickies hooded flannel shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket is machined washable.
Other Hooded Flannel Shirt Jackets to Consider
- L.L. Bean Men’s Scotch Plaid Flannel Hooded Shirt – L.L. Bean is a well-known name in outdoor performance and casual wear. What makes their hooded flannel jacket unique compared to the other options we have discussed above, is this jacket is not lined. This will be best for mild spring and fall temperatures. It has an easy-to-use snap-front design and uses a comfortable brushed flannel exterior. Click here to view this L.L. Bean flannel jacket (affiliate link takes you to llbean.com).
- Gioberti Men’s Hoodie Flannel Button Down Shirt Jacket – What makes this hooded flannel jacket unique is the hood is removable, so on mild days when you don’t need the hood, you can simply take it off and wear the jacket like a flannel overshirt. This jacket has a traditional button-front design with chest pockets. Click here to view this Gioberti hoodie flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Legendary Whitetails Men’s Backwoods Hooded Flannel Shirt – The first two Legendary Whitetails jackets we discussed above both had warm linings. This jacket does not, and truly fits more like a hooded flannel shirt. It uses a midweight fabric that will provide warmth on spring and fall days. It uses a snap-front design and features a stylish Western yoke to give it a unique design. Click here to view this Legendary Whitetails hooded flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Women’s Hooded Flannel Shirt Jacket
Columbia Women’s Canyon Point Ii Shirt Jacket
There aren’t as many hooded flannel shirt jackets available for women as there are for men. If you are woman looking for a hooded flannel jacket, Columbia has a nice option.
Here’s what this Columbia Women’s Canyon Point Ii Shirt Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Columbia hooded flannel jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This hoodie flannel jacket is available in multiple colors. It is unlined, so it will be best for mild temperatures.
5 Things to Consider When Buying Hooded Flannel Shirt Jackets
Yes, hooded flannel jackets provide warmth, but don’t expect them to take on brutally cold winter conditions. If you buy an unlined hoodie flannel jacket, expect it to provide warmth only in mild conditions. I like to use lined shirt jackets that provide more warmth and can even handle certain winter days. But still, they don’t replace a heavyweight winter jacket.
If you are looking for a warm shirt jacket to use for winter temperatures, choosing an insulated shirt jacket might be best. For example, the Legendary Whitetails Camp Night Flannel Plaid Shirt Jacket that I own uses a warm berber-fleece lining:
One thing I love about shirt jackets is they also act as great layering pieces during the brutal winter months. But just don’t expect these zip up shirt jackets to take on extreme conditions and keep you warm. If you like warmer shirt jacket, visit our article about the best insulated shirt jackets and our article about the best Sherpa lined shirt jackets.
One drawback to hooded flannel shirt jackets is they provide little protection against precipitation. They can get wet in a hurry. That’s why I like the Dickies Flannel Shirt Jacket on our list at the top of the page because the fabric is treated to make it water-repellent.
No, a water-repellent jacket can’t take on a monsoon and keep you dry like a waterproof jacket can, but they will hold up against a light rain shower.
If you need something that will keep you dry, wool is naturally water-repellent. To read more, visit our article about the best wool shirt jackets. You also have the option of wearing a work hoodie. To view options, visit our article about the best water-repellent hoodies.
Almost all hoodie flannel shirt jackets come with hand-warmer pockets, but it’s always best to confirm. Most shirt jackets also have dual chest pockets for storage.
These two chest pockets give you a nice place to store small essentials like your phone, tools, or your glasses. If you choose the L.L. Bean wool insulated shirt jacket on our list, please be aware that it does not come with handwarmer pockets.
Durability of Hoodie Flannel Jackets
Yes, these types of hooded flannel shirt jackets make for great casual jackets (if you are looking for more casual options, visit our article about the best corduroy shirt jackets). But will you be using this jacket for work?
If so, would you be interested in something more durable? These hooded flannel shirt jackets often have soft outer shell fabrics which, yes, are very comfortable, but aren’t abrasion resistant.
If you need something durable, canvas shirt jackets are made with durable cotton canvas outer shell fabric that is more abrasion-resistant than other materials. To read more, visit our article about the best canvas shirt jackets.
I also like to wear the Filson Hyder Jacket which uses a durable, quilted outer shell fabric. To read more, visit my article about the best quilted shirt jackets for cold weather.
Denim is another durable fabric, and although there aren’t a lot of hooded denim jackets on the market today, there are a few options to consider.
Button vs Zip Shirt Jacket
Most flannel shirt jackets have a button-front design, but there are exceptions. Our list does contain several zip-front options. Obviously, zip front hooded flannel jackets can be easier to quickly take on and off. If you want more zip-front options, visit our article about the best zip up shirt jackets.
If you frequently use work gloves, finding a hooded flannel shirt jacket that uses snap buttons is also a good option. Snap buttons are much easier to open and close while wearing gloves. The Legendary Whitetails Berber-Lined Hoodie Flannel Jacket at the top of our list uses snap buttons.