This page contains affiliate links. We earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
I personally have tried over a dozen types of Crocs and Hey Dude shoes. In this article I will compared Hey Dude vs Crocs so you can better understand which shoe is best for you. Quickly, here’s the most important things to know about Hey Dude compared to Crocs:
- My Favorites – My favorite types of Hey Dude shoes are the ones that uses the special stretch fabric blend, which forms comfortably to my foot like a sock. Click here to view the stretch Hey Dude shoes available at HeyDude.com. My favorite type of Crocs use the “LiteRide” insole, which is added cushioning under the foot. Click here to view Crocs Literide clogs available at Crocs.com.
- Comfort – Although both types of shoes are comfortable, I’m giving the edge to Hey Dude shoes because of the thick foam insoles they use in combination with lightweight, stretchy upper material. I also found Hey Dude to be slightly more flexible. But there are also comfort advantages for Crocs. Click here to jump ahead on the page to read more about Hey Dude vs Crocs comfort.
- Workplace – Hey Dudes are mainly lounge/casual shoes, although certain types may pass as business casual. Crocs are also lounge/casual shoes, but Crocs does offer several types of clogs designed specifically for the workplace. These types of Crocs often have slip-resistant outsoles, added metatarsal support, and taller heel cups. Hey Dude does not offer slip-resistant shoes for the workplace. Click here to jump ahead on the page to read more.
- Outdoor – Crocs are better than Hey Dude shoes for outdoor use because they are easy to spray clean, are water-friendly, and use odor-resistant materials. Certain types of Crocs also have an adjustable heel strap so you can tighten the fit and use it for outdoor adventures like hiking.
- Weight – I was actually a bit surprised when I weighed 10+ types of these shoes to find that Crocs Classics actually weigh slightly less than Hey Dude. But Crocs weight can vary dramatically depending on the types of Crocs you choose. Click here to jump ahead on the page to see my weight chart for Hey Dude vs Crocs.
- Sizing – The sizing length of Hey Dude and Crocs is very similar and fits true to size for most people. Crocs have a wider, roomier design, but many types of Hey Dude shoes use a stretch fabric that conforms easily to a wide range of foot shapes. Click here to jump ahead on the page to see my comparison sizing photos for Hey Dude and Crocs.
My conclusion: I think Hey Dude’s are the more comfortable option, and provide better lightweight, flexible comfort if you are simply looking for a slip-on shoe to wear casually. However, Crocs clogs serve a wider range of purposes and offer more work-appropriate and outdoor-appropriate options. In this article let’s take a closer look at Hey Dude vs Crocs using the shoes that I own.
Hey Dude vs Crocs Comfort
Are Hey Dude More Comfortable Than Crocs?
Both Hey Dude and Crocs are popular because they are very comfortable to wear. I personally give the slight comfort edge to Hey Dude for three main reasons:
- Material – Many types of Hey Dude shoes use a stretch material blend that feels like a sock against the foot. Click here to see how stretchy my Hey Dude shoes are.
- Insoles – Hey Dude shoes come with thick foam insoles. Most types of Crocs do not have added insoles, however, there are certain types of Crocs that do come with added insole cushioning. Click here to see my photos and learn more about insoles.
- Flexibility – Even though both Crocs and Hey Dude are flexible, I’m giving the flexibility edge to Hey Dudes. Hey Dude refers to this flexible design as “Flex & Fold Technology”. Click here to see me bending my Hey Dude shoes.
Hey Dude vs Crocs Material
Hey Dude uses a lightweight, breathable fabric that feels like a sock against the foot:
Many types of Hey Dude shoes have a stretch design that allows the shoe to fit a wide range of foot shapes. Here I am stretching my Hey Dude Wally:
Not all types of Hey Dudes use a stretch-fabric. Some Hey Dude shoes use a more durable canvas or chambray material, and Hey Dude even offers some loafers that use leather. But most types of Hey Dude shoes use the popular stretch fabric.
Crocs shoes are made using their “Croslite” foam material. Here’s a look at material on my Crocs Baya clog:
This Crocs Croslite material has many positives in that it is odor-resistant, lightweight, water-friendly, non-marking, and does provide a soft cushioning, I just personally like the Hey Dude material more.
Hey Dude vs Crocs Insoles
One thing I really like about Hey Dude shoes is they come with thick foam insoles which provide nice comfort under the foot. Here is a look at the thickness of Hey Dude insoles in the shoes that I own:
Most types Crocs are a bit different in that they don’t have added insoles. The footbed is made of Crocs’ Croslite foam material:
As we discussed earlier, this Crocs Croslite material has many positives in that it is odor-resistant, lightweight, non-marking, and does provide a soft cushioning, I just personally do not think it is quite as soft as the Hey Dude insoles.
However, it is important to note that even though basic Crocs clogs don’t have extra insole cushioning, Crocs does offer certain types of clogs with added cushioning. These types of Crocs use the “LiteRide” insole cushioning for extra comfort under the foot.
In the short video below, I tried to capture how soft the “LiteRide” insoles are on my Crocs:
If you like Crocs, and want added comfort under the foot, I would suggest buying a Crocs clog that uses the LiteRide insole. To read more about these types of Crocs, visit my article that discusses the most comfortable Crocs.
Another thing I really like about the comfort of Hey Dudes compared to Crocs is the flexibility that Hey Dude shoes offer. In the photo below, I tried to capture just how flexible my Hey Dude shoes are:
Hey Dude refers to this flexible design as “Flex & Fold Technology” and this lightweight, flexible outsole is one of the most popular design features on Hey Dude shoes.
Hey Dude vs Crocs for Outdoor Use
Crocs are much better than Hey Dude for outdoor use. Below let’s discuss some reasons why:
- Water-Friendly – Crocs are made to be water-friendly shoes that also have ventilation ports so water can escape. Crocs also float. Hey Dude shoes are not water-friendly (although Hey Dude does offer a more water-friendly version called the Hey Dude Wally H20 and Hey Dude Wendy H20). Still, Crocs are the better water option.
- Adjustable Heel Strap – Crocs offer certain styles that have adjustable heel straps. This is very important so you can tighten the shoe for a more secure fit when walking or hiking outdoors. View my article about Crocs with adjustable straps to see a full list of options. Example below:
- Easy to Clean – Crocs are so simple to clean because they are made with odor-resistant materials and can be spray cleaned with a hose. Hey Dude shoes are washer-machine friendly, so they are also easy to clean, but Crocs are easier.
- Outsoles – Neither Crocs nor Hey Dude shoes are good for serious hiking, but Crocs does offers certain types of clogs that have more advanced outsoles to provide extra traction on outdoor terrain. These types of Crocs can be used for easy hiking trails. Hey Dude insoles are best for flat, predictable terrain. For example, Crocs All Terrain has the advanced outsole:
- Sun – One small drawback about using Crocs outdoor is extreme heat/sunlight can cause Crocs to shrink. To learn more, visit my article that discusses whether or not Croc shrink in the sun.
Hey Dude vs Crocs for Work
Crocs offers several clogs designed specifically for the workplace and Hey Dude currently does not. Here are some features of Crocs work clogs:
- Slip Resistant – Crocs work clogs have slip-resistant outsoles that help meet certain workplace safety standards. Not all types of Crocs are certified slip-resistant and Hey Dude does not currently offer any certified slip-resistant shoes. Below are photos of a slip-resistant outsole on the Crocs Bistro:
- Closed Toe – Several types of Crocs work clogs do not have ventilation holes so that they meet closed-toe workplace standards. For a full list, visit my article that discusses closed toe Crocs. For example, below is the closed toe on my Crocs Bistro clogs:
- Other Features – Crocs work clogs have other safety features like thicker metatarsal area to protect the foot from spills and a taller heel cup to meet certain workplace standards for heel design. Below you can see how the heel is taller on my Crocs Bistro than Crocs Classic:
To read more about workplace options, visit my article that discusses the best work Crocs.
Hey Dude vs Crocs Sizing
Men’s Photo Comparing Hey Dude to Crocs Sizing
Below is a photo of my men’s Hey Dude compared to Crocs sizing. The sizing length of these shoes is very similar, but Crocs are well-known for having a wider, roomier fit:
Crocs also have a slightly deeper toe box area as you can see in the photo below:
However, it is important to remember that many types of Hey Dude shoes use a stretchy fabric which conforms easily to a wide range of foot shapes (learn more about Hey Dude width).
- To see more Hey Dude sizing photos I took for men click here: Men’s Hey Dude Sizing Photos.
- To see more Crocs sizing photos I took for men click here: Crocs Sizing Photos.
Women’s Photo Comparing Hey Dude to Crocs Sizing
Below is a photo of women’s Hey Dude compared to Crocs sizing. The sizing length of these shoes is very similar, but Crocs are well-known for having a wider, roomier fit:
Crocs also have a slightly deeper toe box area as you can see in the photo below:
However, it is important to remember that many types of Hey Dude shoes use a stretchy fabric which conforms easily to a wide range of foot shapes. Both Hey Dude and Crocs do not come in half sizes.
- To see more Hey Dude sizing photos I took for women click here: Women’s Hey Dude Sizing Photos.
- To see more Crocs sizing photos I took click here: Crocs Size Guide Photos.
Hey Dude vs Crocs Width
The sizing length of Hey Dude vs Crocs is very similar (if you made me choose, I’d say Hey Dude fits slightly longer). The biggest difference in fit between these two types of shoes is in the width of the forefoot area.
Crocs have a much wider and roomier forefoot. However, it is worth mentioning that many types of Hey Dude shoes are made using a stretch fabric that conforms easily to the foot.
In the video below, I’d tried to capture just how stretchy Hey Dude shoes are:
Hey Dude vs Crocs Weight
I was a bit surprised when I weighed these shoes and found Crocs Classics to weigh just a bit less than Hey Dude shoes. Here I am weighing my men’s Hey Dude Wally size 12 and my Crocs size 12:
Women’s weight was very similar in that the Crocs weighed just a bit less than Hey Dude:
I recently tried 10 of the most popular types of Crocs. The weight of Crocs will vary depending on what type of Crocs you buy. Below I charted the weights of my size 12 Crocs and also inserted the weight of a size 12 Hey Dude Wally so you can compare the weight of Hey Dude vs Crocs:
|Type of Crocs||Weight (lbs)||Photo|
|Crocs Classic||0.43||click here to view|
|Crocs Baya||0.43||click here to view|
|Hey Dude Wally||0.45||click here to view|
|Crocs All Terrain||0.56||click here to view|
|Crocs Yukon Vista II||0.56||click here to view|
|Crocs Specialist||0.60||click here to view|
|Crocs Crocband||0.60||click here to view|
|Crocs LiteRide||0.66||click here to view|
|Crocs Bistro||0.73||click here to view|
|Crocs Bistro Pro||0.83||click here to view|
|Crocs On-the-Clock||0.84||click here to view|
Hey Dude vs Crocs Conclusion
Are Hey Dude Shoes Better Than Crocs?
I personally like Hey Dude shoes more than Crocs because I think they are the more comfortable option for everyday lounge/casual wear. They provide a flexible, lightweight comfort that feels like a sock against my foot.
However, there are several situations where Crocs make better sense than Hey Dude shoes. Those are:
- Workplace – Crocs offers a wide selection of workplace-appropriate footwear with slip-resistant outsoles, extra metatarsal support, and taller heel cups. Hey Dude does not offer safety footwear and is not slip-resistant, and therefore isn’t an appropriate workplace option (unless you are simply looking for a business casual slip-on).
- Cleaning – Hey Dude’s are actually very easy to wash (washing-machine ready), but Crocs have an advantage in that they are so simple to hose down and clean. This might be perfect if your kids need outdoor shoes that you can clean easily, or if you are looking for an outdoor/gardening shoe.
- Outdoor – Another reason Crocs are the better outdoor shoe is many types of Crocs come with an adjustable heel strap, which allows you to tighten the shoe for a more secure fit. This is especially important for hiking, etc. Crocs are also water-friendly and most types of Hey Dude shoes are not.
- Wide Fit – If you have wide feet, Crocs may be the better option. Hey Dude does offer a few wide-sized options, but Crocs have the wider, roomier toe box. However, Hey Dude stretch fabric does conform to a wide range of feet, so both options often work for wide feet (but expect Crocs to have the wider design).