Waterproof bibs can be essential for those of you who work in harsh, wet conditions. I like the Patagonia Waterproof Bib Overalls because they are made with a nylon fabric that despite being very durable, is also lighter-in-weight than many other types of waterproof overalls that are made instead with PVC material.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best waterproof rain bibs:
- Grundéns Buoy X Gore-Tex Bib (click here to view)
- Carhartt Lightweight Waterproof Rainstorm Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Helly-Hansen Men’s Workwear Waterproof Bibs (click here to view)
- Patagonia Hose-Down Slicker Waterproof Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Arctix Men’s Avalanche Insulated 5000mm Waterproof Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Frogg Toggs Toadz Rockslide Waterproof Breathable Rain Bibs (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Grundéns Women’s Waterproof Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Arctix Women’s 3000mm Waterproof Insulated Overalls (click here to view)
It is worth noting that the insulated Arctix overalls on the list above have a waterproof rating of 5000 mm for men, and 3000 mm for women. This puts them right on the edge between water-resistant and waterproof, which means they may not be a perfect solution for extreme rain.
My advice is this: if you are facing hard rain but need the extra warmth, I would stick with the Patagonia Waterproof Bibs, and just layer underneath for warmth. But if you are facing light precipitation, and want the added warmth, the Arctix bibs are great for wet winter conditions. Just don’t expect them to take on an extreme rain storm and keep you completely dry.
Most waterproof rain bibs have a loose fit design so that they can be easily slipped on over other work clothes when rain showers appear. These waterproof bibs are usually designed so that they can be hosed down for an easy clean.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best waterproof overalls so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying these types of bib overalls.
Best Waterproof Bib Overalls
Patagonia Hose-Down Slicker Waterproof Overalls
What I really like about these Patagonia rain bibs is they are made with a nylon fabric that, despite being very durable, is also lighter-in-weight than many other types of waterproof overalls that are made instead with PVC material.
Here’s what my Patagonia Waterproof Bib Overalls look like:
This is the current price of these Patagonia waterproof bibs available at Patagonia.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com). Here’s what you need to know about these overalls:
- Material – These Patagonia waterproof rain bibs are made using double layer, 7.1-oz 100% nylon ripstop. This ripstop fabric has a TPU-film laminate finish. It is 100% waterproof. Here’s a look at the material and seams on mine:
- Lightweight Design – What makes this material unique is it is much lighter-in-weight when compared to traditional PVC rain bibs (and I think they’re easier to move around in also). My size large bibs weigh 1.31 pounds:
- Convenient Suspenders – The suspenders on these waterproof bibs are very comfortable and easy to use. They are made with elastic, so they fit over the shoulder comfortably and you don’t have to fight them. Another thing worth pointing out is the plastic suspender buckles are very easy to grip and use even in wet conditions.
- Fit – These waterproof overalls have a loose fit that makes them very easy to slip on and off over other work clothes. Do not expect these rain bibs to run small. They don’t feel restrictive, and they also have an adjustable strap near the ankle so you can tighten the fit around the ankle so they don’t act as a tripping hazard.
- Women’s Version – This Patagonia bib is actually a unisex design, but they do recommend women to size down their normal sizing one size when ordering these overalls.
Click here to buy these Patagonia waterproof overalls available at Patagonia.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com). These bibs are very easy to spray down and clean after a dirty, wet work day.
Carhartt Lightweight Waterproof Rainstorm Bib Overalls
Carhartt is one of the most trusted names in workwear, and they do make a wide range of bib overalls, including these waterproof overalls. These are another good option if you prefer a lightweight bib overall.
Here’s what these Carhartt rain bibs look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt waterproof overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these waterproof bibs:
- Material – Yes, this is a 100% waterproof material. These bibs are made using a 2-layer .35mm coating made of polyethylene and vinyl acetate. The suspenders are elastic for a comfortable, easy fit.
- Design – These bibs have a loose fit that won’t hug tight against your body. The leg openings are wide enough to fit over work boots. The suspenders have a plastic buckle for easy fastening, and they have adjustable straps so you can find your desired fit.
Click here to buy these Carhartt waterproof bib overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These overalls have reinforced main seams for extra durability.
Arctix Insulated Waterproof Bib Overalls
Insulated waterproof bibs are popular not only for outdoor winter sports, like skiing, but also for those of us who face brutally cold and wet work conditions. The first two options we discussed above are not insulated bibs. If you need insulated rain bibs, then these Arctix bibs are a nice option to consider.
Depending on your situation, you could also consider insulated coveralls, many of which are water-resistant, or even a pair of insulated duck canvas overalls that are water-resistant. But those options will not be completely waterproof like these Arctix bibs are.
Here’s what these Arctix insulated waterproof overalls look like:
This is the current price of these Arctix insulated waterproof bib overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these overalls:
- Waterproof – These bibs have a waterproof rating of 5000 mm. As we discussed earlier, this puts them right on the edge between water-resistant and waterproof. If you are facing extreme rain, these might not be the best choice, But if you are facing light precipitation, these overalls have the added benefit of also providing warmth.
- Insulated – These bibs are insulated with 85 Grams of ThermaTech insulation that is designed to trap heat while still being lightweight and non-bulky. These overalls are also designed to be windproof.
- Design – These Arctix bib overalls have cargo pockets and chest bib pockets for storage. They also have zippered hand pockets for storing essentials. These bibs zip at the chest and zip at the leg opening to make them easier to take on and off, and they have adjustable waist straps so you can find the desired fit.
- Women’s Version – Arctix also makes insulated overalls for women that have a waterproof rating of 3000 mm. Again, these overalls will be best for light precipitation. Click here to view the women’s version of these Arctix insulated overalls (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Click here to buy these Arctix men’s waterproof bib overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, although these bibs offer water protection, they won’t offer enough protection to take on extreme rain.
Other Waterproof Rain Bibs to Consider
- Helly-Hansen Men’s Workwear Mandal Bib Pant – These Helly-Hansen men’s pant is 100% waterproof and features an internal zip-close chest bib pocket to give you a safe place to store essentials in out of the rain. These bibs have a standard fit that is loose enough to fit over other clothes. They have elastic suspenders and also have an adjustable button at the waist so you can customize the fit as needed. Click here to view these Helly-Hansen rain bibs available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Frogg Toggs Toadz Rockslide Waterproof Breathable Rain Bibs – These Frogg Toggs waterproof bib overalls are designed to be 100% waterproof while also remaining breathable. They are made with polyester and feature several zip-close pockets for storage. They have adjustable suspenders and an adjustable waist so you can find the correct fit. You can also zip off the bib top and use them as waterproof pants. Click here to view these Frogg Togg waterproof overalls at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- RainRider Waterproof Rain Bibs Overalls – The thing that really stands out about these RainRider waterproof overalls compared to many other options on the market today is they come with an adjustable back divider that attaches to the suspenders so you can easily adjust how the suspenders sit against your back and shoulders. These bibs are waterproof and feature a large front bib pocket for storage. Click here to view these RainRider waterproof bibs at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Waterproof Bib Overalls
Material used for Overalls
The type of material used for overalls will greatly affect weather and rain resistance. As you probably know, many traditional overalls are made with 100% cotton, but there are actually a wide range of materials used to make overalls today (purpose of overalls).
- Waterproof Material – Waterproof overalls are usually made with either nylon or polyester, and often have a coating added to help make the bib waterproof (more on waterproof rating). The drawback is because these bibs are completely waterproof, they often are not very breathable.
- Canvas Duck – Canvas is obviously a popular material used in workwear. We will discuss this in more detail later, but cotton canvas bibs are not waterproof, although many options are treated to be water-resistant. A 100% cotton duck canvas bib can be a bit stiff to wear, and may need time to break in. To read more, visit our article about the best canvas bibs.
- Stretch Canvas – Some duck overalls will use a stretch fabric blend that will help increase the comfort and flexibility of the overalls. This might be particularly helpful if you spend a large amount of you workday bending and crouching. But as a word of caution, some types of stretch canvas blends won’t be as durable as regular canvas. To see options, visit our article about the best stretch overalls.
- Wool – Wool is naturally water-repellent and good at insulating even in wet conditions. Wool is also quite breathable, making wool bibs a versatile option that can be worn in many seasons. To read more, visit our article about the best wool overalls.
- Insulation – Yes, they do make a wide variety of insulated bibs for winter. To see options, visit our article about the best insulated overalls.
Do They Make Canvas Rain Bibs?
Yes and no. Unfortunately, canvas is not waterproof, so it will take on water. However, many companies will treat their canvas and duck bibs with a water-repellent finish to help add some protection to the bibs.
Water-repellent canvas bibs can’t take on a heavy rainstorm and keep you dry, but they can handle light precipitation or morning dew. But, to be clear, canvas bibs won’t be a solution for most wet work environments.
Carhartt does offer a nylon duck bib that is insulated and treated to be water-repellent. Again, these bibs aren’t completely waterproof, but the treated nylon will give you some weather protection, and it is incredibly durable. Click here to view those Carhartt Yukon Extremes nylon duck overalls (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Water Resistant Bib Overalls
As we just discussed above, water resistant overalls will be very common, especially for canvas bibs. For many people, it can be a bit confusing to understand what is and is not waterproof.
Sometimes companies will use a play on words to make garments sound more waterproof than they really are. The main thing you need to understand is this: a water-resistant bib will not keep you dry in extreme rain.
Water-resistant bibs are designed to repel light precipitation (think of a light mist or morning ground dew). Water-resistant overalls would be perfect for someone like a farmer who is out doing morning chores and faces dew on the ground, and perhaps the occasional overspray of a water hose.
For extreme, wet work conditions in heavy rain, you will need a true waterproof bib overall. The drawback is truly waterproof overalls are not as breathable as other options (for obvious reasons). So for some people facing only light precipitation, and water-resistant bib overall gives them the protection they need, and is a more breathable option.
Other Waterproof Workwear
If you are working in rainy, wet conditions, here are some other types of workwear to consider:
- Best Insulated Rain Jackets
- Best Waterproof Work Pants
- Best Waterproof Pull On Boots
- Waterproof Compared To Moisture Wicking
Storage in Rain Bibs
One drawback is waterproof bib overalls often don’t have as many pockets as traditional overalls. This is due to sevefal factors, including the fact that pockets can create more seams, which can create more opportunities for water to creep in.
You will often find waterproof bibs that have a zip-close pocket somewhere near the chest (sometimes inside, sometimes outside). There also also some insulated waterproof overalls that will have zippered pockets near the waist.