Insulated bib overalls can be essential for those of us who work in cold winter conditions. I like the Carhartt R41 Insulated Overalls because they use a medium-weight insulation that works perfectly for the winter weather I face here in Kansas. If you work in more extreme conditions, I’d recommend one of the Refrigiwear winter overalls on our list below. Many of their bibs are comfort-rated for sub-zero temperatures.
*This page contains paid affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best winter bib overalls:
- Carhartt Men’s Quilt-Lined R41 Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Berne Men’s Heritage Insulated Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Super Dux Insulated Work Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Arctix Men’s Essential Insulated Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Dickies Insulated Men’s Canvas Winter Overalls (click here to view)
- *Extreme Cold* RefrigiWear Softshell Water-Resistant -60F Insulated Overalls (click here to view)
- *Extreme Cold* Carhartt Yukon Extremes Loose Fit Insulated Biberall (click here to view)
- *Extreme Cold* RefrigiWear Iron-Tuff Insulated -50F Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Berne Women’s Softstone Insulated Bibs (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Arctix Women’s Essential Insulated Winter Bibs (click here to view)
- *Women’s Extreme* RefrigiWear Iron-Tuff Insulated -50F Winter Bibs (click here to view)
Although all of the bibs on the list above are insulated for winter conditions, certain types of winter overalls are made for more extreme temperatures. If you are dealing with the coldest conditions, I’d recommend sticking with either the Refrigiwear overalls, or the Carhartt Yukon Extremes Overalls on the list above.
It is worth noting that none of the winter bibs on the list above are flame-resistant. If you need insulated flame-resistant overalls, then Ariat has a nice option for you to consider. Click here to view the Ariat FR Insulated Overalls 2.0 Bib available at Ariat.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Ariat.com).
While it is common for most insulated bib overalls to use a canvas outer shell fabric, there are also softshell options on the market. As you probably know, canvas can feel stiff when you first wear it, and take a while to break in. If you prefer canvas, but want to skip the break in period, buying a pair of pre-washed canvas overalls will be your best option.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best insulated overalls for winter conditions so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when shopping for insulated bibs.
Best Insulated Bib Overalls for Winter
Carhartt Men’s Quilt-Lined R41 Bib Overalls
These Carhartt R41 Winter Overalls use a medium-weight insulation, which makes them ideal for moderate winter conditions I face here in Kansas. These insulated bib overalls use a heavyweight canvas outer shell fabric that provides the needed durability on a job site.
Here’s what these Carhartt insulated overalls look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt insulated bib overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these winter bibs:
- Material – These Carhartt overalls are made with 12-ounce heavyweight cotton canvas outer shell fabric. The insulation is made of polyester and features a quilted nylon lining. As we discussed above, these overalls provide a medium warmth suitable for moderate winter conditions.
- Design – These Carhartt insulated overalls zip to the thigh so you can easily slip them on over your other work clothes when the weather takes a turn for the worse. They have several bib pockets, including a zip-close pocket for storing essentials. The legs have utility pockets and tool loops, and these overalls have double-front knees that can take knee-pad inserts.
- Sizing – Carhartt recommends sizing up one size on your normal pant sizing, and sizing up two sizes if you plan to wear these overalls over other work clothes. The suspenders are adjustable and made of elastic for an easy, comfortable fit.
Click here to buy these Carhartt insulated bibs available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These winter overalls are machine washable.
RefrigiWear Softshell Water-Resistant -60F Insulated Overalls
For extreme, dangerous conditions, these Refrigiwear insulated bibs will be a nice option. They are comfort rated down to -60 degree Fahrenheit.
Here’s what these Refrigiwear overalls look like:
This is the current price of these Refrigiwear insulated bib overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these winter bibs:
- Material – These are softshell overalls and will be much more flexible than canvas overalls. They are made with a micro-fiber outer shell fabric that is very easy to move around in, and is also water-repellent. Refrigiwear has reinforced certain areas (like the knees and kick plates) to add extra durability in those spots.
- Warmth – These insulated bibs are comfort rated down to -60 degrees Fahrenheit and built for extreme conditions. The outer shell is wind-resistant. They have a micro-fleece inner lining and over 500 grams per square inch of insulating power. These bibs are designed with a high torso and a full, high back for extra weather protection on your chest and upper back.
- Design – These winter overalls have two zip-close hand warmer pockets, and also feature a zip-close external chest pocket. They have adjustable tabs at the waist and ankles so you can customize the fit. The chest zips to the waist, and the legs zip to the knee so that these overalls are easy to take on and off over other clothes.
- More Durable Option – If you like Refrigiwear, but don’t want a softshell fabric, then the Refrigiwear Iron-Tuff overalls will be a great option for you. They are still more flexible than most canvas fabrics, but are highly abrasion resistant because they use abrasion resistant nylon. Click here to view these overalls at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). They are comfort rated to -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Women’s Refrigiwear – Refrigiwear offers a softshell insulated bib for women also. Click here to view Refrigiwear’s softshell overalls for women available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). That bib is comfort rated down to -20 degree Fahrenheit.
Click here to buy these Refrigiwear insulated bibs available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These winter overalls have reflective accents throughout the bibs to help improve safety in low-light situations.
Berne Women’s Softstone Insulated Winter Overalls
These Berne women’s winter overalls are made using a pre-washed canvas fabric. Pre-washed canvas is popular because it gives the canvas a worn-in feeling on the first wear, and allows you to skip the break-in process that comes with traditional, stiff canvas.
Here’s what these Berne insulated overalls look like:
This is the current price of these Berne women’s insulated bib overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these insulated bibs:
- Material – These Berne winter bibs are made with a 10-ounce cotton canvas outer shell fabric. As we discussed earlier, these insulated overalls use a pre-washed canvas. The pre-washing process helps break in the fabric and gives it a softer feel. This can increase comfort, but also help improve your range of motion in the bibs.
- Insulated – Yes, these winter overalls are insulated. They use a medium-weight insulation that is covered with a polyester taffetta quilt lining. These are a nice option for moderate winter conditions. If you face dangerous, extreme conditions, I’d probably stick with the Refrigiwear overalls on our list at the top of the page.
- Details – These overalls have full length leg zipper so that they can easily be slipped on over other work clothes. These insulated bibs have plenty of pockets, including a zip pocket for storing essentials. The hem at the leg opening is reinforced with durable nylon to keep that area from wearing out prematurely. These bibs have brass buckles and an elastic waist to improve fit and comfort.
Click here to buy these Berne insulated bibs available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These winter bibs are machine washable.
Other Insulated Winter Overalls to Consider
- Carhartt Men’s Super Dux Insulated Work Bib Overalls – Carhartt created this new men’s “Super Dux” winter bib overall as a durable alternative to cotton canvas. This material is much more flexible, made of a nylon/spandex fabric blend. It is wind-resistant and water-repellent. The waist down is insulated with 80g of 3M Thinsulate, and from the waist up is insulated with a Sherpa lining. These bibs have plenty of pockets, including convenient ledge hand pockets that make it easy to get your hand in and out. Click here to view these Carhartt winter overalls (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Berne Men’s Heritage Insulated Bib Overalls – These Berne insulated overalls are made using 10-ounce cotton canvas fabric and insulated with medium-weight insulation for warmth. They feature a high back for extra weather protection. These winter bibs have full length leg zippers so they can easily be put on over the top of work clothes. These insulated bib overalls have a water-repellent finish. Click here to view these Berne winter bib overalls (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Carhartt Yukon Extremes Loose Fit Insulated Biberall – The Carhartt Yukon Extremes series is designed to take on the coldest conditions. These winter overalls use a Cordura 500-denier nylon outer shell fabric that is ultra durable (even more durable than cotton canvas). This bib is also wind-resistant and water-repellent. It is insulated with 150g of 3M Thinsulate to take on brutal winter conditions. It also has unique front-leg cargo pockets for extra storage. Click here to view these Carhartt winter bibs available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
7 Things to Consider When Buying Insulated Bib Overalls for Winter
The amount of coverage that a pair of winter overalls offers an vary a bit brand to brand. Some options will have high torso and high back coverage for additional chest and upper back warmth. If you are working in brutal conditions, this can be an important detail (why are overalls popular?).
Of course, if you are working in extreme cold, perhaps insulated coveralls would be the better option. Obviously, coveralls also provide coverage to your shoulders and arms, and you can even find hooded coveralls. To read more about options, visit our article about the best winter coveralls.
Most insulated bib overalls will come with leg zippers either to the knee or waist. This allows you to easily slip these overalls on over work boots and work clothes.
Many types of insulated bibs that have leg zippers will also have a storm flap that covers the zipper to help keep weather and rain out. Some winter bibs will also zip down from the chest to the waist to make it easier to take the bibs on and off.
We have discussed this throughout, but when it comes to insulated bib overalls for work, you have three main material options to choose from:
- Canvas – 100% cotton canvas overalls are very durable and abrasion resistant. They provide a nice barrier against the wind, but can also feel a bit stiff off the rack, and take time to break in. There are also nylon canvas options that are ultra-durable (Carhartt Yukon Extremes).
- Pre-Washed Canvas – For those who like a durable canvas fabric, but hate the stiff feeling of canvas, buying a pre-washed canvas will be a nice option. The pre-washing process breaks in the canvas and gives it a softer feel. Some types of canvas bibs may also incorporate spandex to create stretch canvas overalls.
- Softshell – Many winter overalls will be offered in a softshell fabric. These types of insulated bibs are popular for things like skiing, but also can function as work overalls. Some types of softshell insulated bibs will incorporate nylon to help increase the durability of the fabric. Softshell is a nice option for those who bend and crouch a lot on the job and need freedom of movement.
Many winter bibs will be water-repellent, which means it can take on light precipitation and keep you dry. For heavy rain, you will need a true waterproof overall, but it is hard to find insulated overalls that are completely waterproof.
Many people like denim overalls, but it is very difficult to find denim insulated bib overalls. If you prefer denim, here is a fleece-lined denim overall available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). If you like wool, visit our article about the best wool overalls.
Are you dealing with moderate winter conditions, or extreme winter conditions? It is important to match the appropriate type of insulated bibs with your conditions.
Winter overalls that use medium-weight insulation will be acceptable for moderate winter conditions, but if you are facing brutal, dangerous conditions, a sub-zero bib is probably the best option.
Refrigiwear makes several insulated overalls that are comfort rated for sub-zero temperatures. Just make sure to consider your activity level while working as well when choosing the right amount of insulation needed for your winter bibs.
Do you need to use knee pad inserts? Some winter bib overalls will have a double front that is compatible with knee pad inserts.
It’s worth noting that not all types of knee pad inserts will fit into all types of knee pad openings. The truth is, yes most knee pads will fit, but buying your knee pads from the same company that makes the overalls might be a good way to ensure they fit.
One major benefit of insulated bib overalls is the chest pockets allow you to keep tools and other essentials within reach. The more storage options you have, the more functional you can be. Here are common storage options you may want to confirm your winter overalls have:
- Multi-compartment bib
- Zip pocket on bib
- Pen slots on bib
- Front and back hand pockets
- Side leg utility pockets
- Side leg tool loop
Not all insulated bib overalls will have elastic suspenders. This may come down to personal preference, but many people like elastic suspenders because they are comfortable and very easy to fasten.
If you are interested in winter bibs that have these elastic suspenders, then I’d suggest the Carhartt R41 Insulated Overalls I discussed earlier in the article. Click here to view these Carhartt winter overalls available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).