Canvas and duck bib overalls provide you the abrasion-resistant toughness you need to take on a rugged work day. I like the Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Bib Overalls because they are made with a unique canvas fabric blend that allows them to be both ultra-durable and comfortable. Patagonia’s canvas material has a broken-in feeling that doesn’t feel stiff like traditional canvas.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best duck and canvas bib overalls:
- Patagonia Iron Forge Men’s Canvas Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Rugged Flex Relaxed Fit Canvas Overalls (click here to view)
- Filson Oil Finish 14-ounce Double Tin Cloth Bibs (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Relaxed Fit 100% Cotton Duck Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- Berne Men’s Slab Duck Unlined Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- *Men’s Insulated* Carhartt Men’s Quilt Lined Zip-To-Thigh Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Patagonia Women’s Canvas All Seasons Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Carhartt Women’s Crawford Double Front Bib Overalls (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Dovetail Women’s Workwear Freshley Canvas Stretch Overalls (click here to view)
- *Women’s Insulated* Berne Women’s Softstone Insulated Canvas Bibs (click here to view)
Perhaps one of the biggest decisions you will need to make is what type of fabric blend do you want for your overalls? Although many canvas bib overalls are made with 100% cotton, some canvas overalls will incorporate spandex into the canvas to create a stretch fabric blend.
As I mentioned at the top of the page, I like the Patagonia Iron Forge overalls because they are made from abrasion-resistant 12.9-oz canvas that uses a hemp/polyester/cotton fabric blend which is more durable than standard canvas and also is more comfortable to wear. This material is not stiff and has a broken-in feeling even on the first wear.
Here’s a look at the material on my Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Bibs:
Another thing I like about the Patagonia overalls is they have a nice sized diamond crotch gusset which makes it much easier to bend and crouch while wearing these overalls, and also makes it more comfortable to sit and operate machinery.
In this article let’s take a closer look at some of the best duck bib overalls on the market today so you can choose an option that works for you. Let’s also discuss a few things you will want to consider when buying overalls.
Best Canvas & Duck Bib Overalls
Patagonia Iron Forge Men’s Canvas Bib Overalls
What I really like about these Patagonia canvas coveralls is they are made with a very durable canvas. But what I have found is even though these overalls are very durable, the fabric blend is very comfortable to wear and doesn’t feel stiff like most canvas materials do.
Here’s what my Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Bibs look like:
This is the current price of these Patagonia overalls available at Patagonia.com (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com). Here’s what you need to know about these overalls:
- Material – I think this is what stands out the most to me about these overalls. Yes, they are made from abrasion-resistant 12.9-oz canvas that uses a hemp/polyester/cotton fabric blend which is more durable than standard canvas and also is more comfortable to wear. This material is not stiff and has a broken-in feeling even on the first wear. My size 32 weighs 2.94 pounds. Here’s a look at the material on mine:
- Adjustable Elastic Suspenders – The suspenders on these bibs are very comfortable and easy to use. Yes, they are adjustable, but I have found that there is very little adjusting needed since they are elastic. They sit comfortably against my shoulders and are easy to move:
- Pockets – These overalls have plenty of pockets, including a zipper bib pocket for storing essentials. They also have an outer snap pocket with pencil slot which can store small tools. These duck bib overalls have traditional front and back pockets, with an additional side utility pocket and hammer loop. The front hand pockets have plenty of space and also have small gussets at the bottom which give me a convenient place to store my tape measure or tool clip.
- Knee Pad Compatible – Yes, these Patagonia canvas bib overalls are knee pad compatible. They have double-front knees with open bottoms for sliding in your knee pads of choice. Here is a look at the knee pad pockets on my overalls:
- Comfort – Again, this is where I think these overalls separate themselves from other brands. Even though they are very durable, the material is very comfortable to wear and is not stiff. It has a broken-in feeling on the first wear. They have an adjustable waist so you can find the right fit, and they also feature a gusseted crotch for comfort when bending, crouching, or sitting to operate machinery.
- Women’s Version – Patagonia does offer a canvas bib overall for women that is made with a similar durable, yet comfortable, canvas material. This is where you can view the Patagonia women’s canvas overalls available at Patagonia.com (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com).
Click here to buy these Patagonia Iron Forge men’s canvas bibs available at Patagonia.com (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com). I found these overalls to fit true to size with a regular fit that wasn’t too loose or too baggy. They fit easily over the top of my work boots. These overalls are machine washable.
Carhartt Men’s Rugged Flex Relaxed Fit Canvas Bib Overalls
Carhartt is one of the most trusted names in workwear, and they do make a wide range of bib overalls, including these canvas overalls. The main difference between these overalls and the Patagonia overalls we just discussed above, is these overalls are made with a stretch canvas fabric blend.
Here’s what these Carhartt duck bib overalls look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt stretch overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these overalls:
- Material – Yes, this is a stretch canvas fabric blend. The 8-ounce canvas is made with a cotton/spandex stretch blend that helps increase the flexibility of these overalls. A stretch fabric blend might be important for those of you who spend much of you work day bending, stooping, and crouching.
- Pockets – These overalls have a multi-compartment bib pocket with zipper closure in addition to two tool pockets with pen stall; two large, lower-front ledge pockets; two rear pockets; and a right-leg hammer loop.
- Design – The double-layered front adds durability and also has openings to accommodate knee pad inserts. Just like the Patagonia overalls we discussed earlier, these Carhartt overalls feature stretch suspenders for an easy on/off. Reinforced kick panels around the cuffs help prevent wear and tear.
Click here to buy these Carhartt stretch canvas overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These overalls are machine washable.
Dovetail Women’s Workwear Freshley Stretch Canvas Bib Overalls
As we discussed earlier, Patagonia offers their Iron Forge canvas overalls that I like in a women’s version which you can view by clicking here (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com). Another good option for women are these Dovetail Workwear overalls which use a canvas stretch blend. Here’s what they look like:
This is the current price of these Dovetail duck bib overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these canvas overalls:
- Design – These canvas overalls are made using a stretch canvas blend for comfort. They have a total of 13 pockets, as well as a hip clip pocket. The four-pocket bib features a unique eyelet through which you can run wired earbuds.
- Knee Pads – The double-front, reinforced thigh and rear cuff panels reduce wear and tear and have openings for knee pad inserts.
- Fit – These overalls have a straight-leg design with a fitted waist and thigh, yet relaxed calf area with plenty of room to accommodate your favorite boots. The gusseted crotch allows maximum ease-of-motion while flexible suspenders won’t hinder your movements.
Click here to buy these Dovetail canvas bib overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These overalls are machine washable.
Other Canvas & Duck Bib Overalls to Consider
- Filson Oil Finish Double Tin Bibs – Filson is a clothing company based in Seattle WA that has a deep-rooted tradition in providing heavy-duty dependable workwear. These overalls are made in the USA. They are ultra-durable and feature an oil finish that makes them water-repellent and abrasion-resistant. These are the only bibs on this list that have this oil finish. Gusseted sides for easy movement. Click here to view these canvas bibs available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Carhartt Men’s Quilt Lined Zip-To-Thigh Bib Overalls – If you are shopping for men’s insulated duck bib overalls, these will be a great option. These Carhartt overalls have a quilted nylon lining with polyester insulation and are made with a 100% cotton duck outer shell fabric. These overalls zip to the thigh for an easy on and off. They feature a double front with knee pad pockets. Click here to view these insulated canvas bib overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Berne Women’s Softstone Insulated Canvas Bibs – If you are shopping for women’s insulated canvas bibs, these Berne overalls will be a great option. They have a medium-weight quilt-lined taffeta for insulation. The outer shell fabric is a 10-ounce cotton canvas duck. They zip to the thigh and feature an elastic waist for a comfortable, yet snug fit. Click here to view these insulated canvas bib overalls available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Duck Bib Overalls
The type of canvas material you choose will be very important. Some types of canvas and duck bib overalls can feel a bit stiff. There are two ways to combat this:
- Broken-In Feeling – Some canvas bib overalls, like my Patagonia Iron Forge overalls I discussed earlier in the article, will be made with a canvas material blend which gives the overalls a broken-in feeling even on the first wear, and eliminates the stiff canvas.
- Stretch Canvas – Some duck overalls will use a stretch fabric blend that will help increase the comfort and flexibility of the overalls. This might be particularly helpful if you spend a large amount of you workday bending and crouching. But as a word of caution, some types of stretch canvas blends won’t be as durable as regular canvas. To see options, visit our article about the best stretch overalls.
Some types of canvas bibs will be water-resistant, but none of them are truly waterproof. If you need waterproof, visit our article about the best waterproof overalls.
Some duck overalls will come with leg zippers either to the knee or waist. This allows you to easily slip these overalls on over work boots and work clothes. For example, both insulated overalls on our list at the top of the page feature zip legs.
It is a bit more common to find leg zippers in insulated coveralls and insulated overalls. These insulated versions are designed to be worn over the top of regular clothes, and the leg zippers allow for them to be easily slipped on over boots. To read more, visit our article about the best winter coveralls with zipper legs.
Do you need to use knee pad inserts? Some duck bib overalls will have a double front that is compatible with knee pad inserts.
It’s worth noting that not all types of knee pad inserts will fit into all types of knee pad openings. The truth is, yes most knee pads will fit, but buying your knee pads from the same company that makes the overalls might be a good way to ensure they fit.
One major benefit of canvas bib overalls is you can keep tools and other essentials within reach. The more storage options you have, the more functional you can be. Here are common storage options you may want to confirm your overalls have:
- Multi-compartment bib
- Zip pocket on bib
- Pen slots on bib
- Pass-through seam pockets
- Side leg utility pockets
- Side leg tool loop
I’d recommend sticking with duck bib overalls that have elastic suspenders. They are so much easier to fasten and because they stretch so easily, they very rarely need to be adjusted.
If you are interested in canvas bibs that have these elastic suspenders, then I’d suggest the Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Bib Overalls I discussed earlier in the article. Click here to view these Patagonia canvas overalls at Patagonia.com (affiliate link takes you to Patagonia.com).