The problem with lightweight jackets is they are often made of flimsy materials that can easily rip and tear. If you are working a job that demands toughness, a canvas shirt jacket provides lightweight warmth, but also has a durable outer shell fabric that can stand up to a rugged environment.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best canvas shirt jackets:
- Carhartt Men’s Snap Front Canvas Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Tecovas Men’s Waxed Canvas Jac-Shirt (click here to view)
- Filson Snap-Front Canvas Fleece Lined Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Walls Men’s Bandera Vintage Duck Canvas Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Dickies Men’s Relaxed Fit Hooded Duck Quilted Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Legendary Whitetails Journeyman Flannel Lined Rugged Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Berne Men’s Traditional Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Backpacker Apparel Great Outdoors Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Rugged Flex Rigby Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Dickies Women’s Duck Hooded Shirt Jacket (click here to view)
A reliable shirt jacket can be that first line of defense when you need lightweight warmth in a rugged environment. Not only are they a popular choice for workers, but they also can be useful for other outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, and camping.
I like to use the Carhartt Snap-Front Shirt Jacket because it uses a stretch canvas blend that is very easy to move around in. Here’s a look at mine:
The canvas shell helps resist the rips and tears that can be commonplace in a tough work environment. In this article let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular canvas shirt jackets, and several things you will want to consider when buying one.
5 Things to Consider When Buying a Canvas Shirt Jacket
The weight of the canvas fabric used for the outer shell of the jacket will vary. A typical canvas shirt jacket will use a fabric at, or around, 8-ounces. Although all canvas jackets have some toughness, the heavier-weight shells can usually take on a tougher beating.
If you are looking for something more durable and warmer than a shirt jacket, visit our article about the best fleece and flannel lined canvas jackets.
Many shirt jackets intended to be used for work will have a snap-closure front that makes them easier to close while wearing work gloves. A snap-closure front means you don’t have to worry about wrestling with traditional buttons while you wear your work gloves. Another similar option is to consider a zip front shirt jacket.
If you are looking for something a little warmer, I like to wear wool shirt jackets. To read more, visit our article about the best wool shirt jackets. To read more about lined shirt jackets, visit our article about fleece and flannel lined shirt jackets.
Most shirt jackets will have pockets on the outside of the jacket. Flap chest pockets are common, and many jackets also have hand warming pockets on the side.
Internal pockets are not necessarily included on all shirt jackets. This is something that will vary jacket to jacket. Having an internal pocket to safely store essentials can be critical.
Shirt jackets usually fit a little bit bigger than regular button-front shirts. This gives you space to easily layer them over the top of your other clothes when needed.
Best Canvas Shirt Jackets
Carhartt Men’s Weathered Canvas Shirt Snap Front Jacket
Carhartt is very famous for their heavy duty canvas pants and canvas winter jackets, but they also make a lighter-weight canvas shirt jacket. This Carhartt shirt jacket uses a stretch canvas blend so you have all the freedom of movement needed on the job. Here’s what this jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Carhartt shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Shell Material/Lining – This is a 7.8-ounce, stretch cotton canvas fabric blend to give you a flexible fit. It has triple-stitched main seams, and is a nice combination of comfort and durability. A bi-swing back allows for enhanced range of motion. It is fleece lined for warmth.
- Design – Storage options abound with two side pockets as well as two external chest pockets, one of which has a zip-close design. There is also an interior pocket, perfect for keeping valuables safe. Snap closure makes this jacket easy to take on and off even with work gloves on.
- Cuffs – Adding to the comfort factor are adjustable snap cuffs with extended plackets. These cuffs can be adjusted up your forearm if needed.
- Garment Care – This shirt jacket is machine washable.
Click here to buy this canvas Carhartt shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This is a great mild work jacket to keep on hand for those cooler fall and spring months. To read about more options, visit my article about the best Carhartt work jackets.
Walls Men’s Bandera Vintage Duck Canvas Shirt Jacket
Walls originally began in the 1930’s as a company specializing in coveralls for the US oil industry and has transformed into one of the most dependable workwear brands on the market (source). I like a lot of their jackets because they often have a vintage, classic look.
Here’s what this Walls duck canvas shirt jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Walls duck shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Shell Material/Weight – A 10-ounce, sanded and stonewashed 100% duck cotton lends itself to a vintage, lived-in look along with a softer feel. Double-needle stitching ensures it can stand up to the toughest days. There is also a bi-swing back, allowing for increased range of movement.
- Lining – A 300-weight, buffalo plaid fleece lining that traps heat and add to the classic look of this jacket.
- Closure – The metal snap closure will endure the rough and tumble of your daily routine.
- Pockets – This jacket offers a plethora of storage, including two fleece-lined hand warmer pockets, two patch pockets on the chest, and two interior patch pockets with closures. There is a pencil sheath on the left front pocket. It also has an interior media loop.
- Cuffs – The sleeves feature snap placket cuffs.
Click here to buy this Walls duck shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket is machine washable.
Legendary Whitetails Journeyman Flannel Lined Rugged Shirt Jacket
Legendary Whitetails is an outdoor gear brand. They offer a wide range of shirt jackets and are a great option if you are looking for a lightweight, yet rugged, shirt jacket. This flannel lined jacket is appropriate for the fall and spring months.
Here’s what this jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Legendary Whitetails flannel lined shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Shell Material – The 63% cotton/37% polyester blend creates a jacket that is soft to the touch, but still durable. It gives it an attractive cotton suede appearance which also makes it more weather-resistant.
- Type of Lining – A 100% cotton flannel lining keeps you warm and comfortable.
- Sleeve Lining – The sleeves feature a 100% nylon lining.
- Pockets – Hand-warming side pockets and two snap-closure chest pockets means there are no lack of options for storage.
- Front Closure – This jacket has a snap-front closure.
- Garment Care – Machine wash in cold water with like colors. Tumble dry on low heat. If needed, iron on low setting.
Click here to buy this Legendary Whitetails shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, this jacket is best used as a spring/fall jacket.
Dickies Men’s Relaxed Fit Hooded Duck Quilted Shirt Jacket
Dickies is popular because they make dependable workwear for a wide range of jobs. The cool thing about this durable shirt jacket is it comes with a built-in hood. Here’s what it looks like:
This is the current price of this Dickies hooded shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Shell Material/Weight – This jacket’s 8-ounce, 100% cotton duck is brushed for extra softness and offers a relaxed fit that’s ideal for layering.
- Hood – The biggest takeaway from this jacket is it is the only jacket on this list that has an attached hood. Not many canvas shirt jackets have an attached hood.
- Lining – A faux fleece lining offers superior comfort and warmth. The 100% polyester, diamond-quilted lining makes the jacket easy to put on and take off.
- Pockets – There are two lower side-seam pockets as well as two chest pockets with snap closures.
- Closure – A zipper closure on the built-in hoodie and a snap closure on the jacket keeps the chill of the colder weather at bay.
- Garment Care – Machine wash in cold water. Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Hang to dry.
Click here to buy this Dickies hooded shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). To see more shirt jackets that have a hood, visit our article about the best hooded flannel shirt jackets.
Filson Workshop Tin Cloth Chore Jacket
Filson is a clothing company based in Seattle WA that has a deep-rooted tradition in providing heavy-duty dependable workwear. Their founder, C.C. Filson, opened shop in 1897 and, at that time, specialized in making ultra-tough, ultra-dependable clothing for stampeders heading north for the Klondike Gold Rush.
The Stampeders who marched north towards the Klondike region put their lives at risk in search of gold. The conditions in the Yukon were brutal. Winters were dark and devastatingly long.
The stampeders faced blinding snow storms, avalanches, hypothermia, towering terrain, malnutrition, disease, and all the other perils of wilderness. It is estimated that out of the 100,000 people who set out to stampede for gold, only 30,000 actually made it to the Klondike region.
Making clothes that could hold up in the sub-freezing wilderness meant C.C. Filson couldn’t cut corners, and had to emphasize toughness and dependability. And although the Klondike Gold Rush has long since passed, that tradition of toughness and dependability has carried over to Filson’s current collection of workwear.
Filson does offer a rugged shirt jacket. Here’s what you need to know about the Filson Workshop Tin Cloth Chore Jacket:
- Shell Material/Weight – Constructed of a 10.5-ounce dry-finish Tin Cloth that makes it water-repellent and practically windproof, this jacket is built to last. The flat-felled seams render it extra strong.
- Lining – This jacket is unlined to reduce bulk, making it comfortable to get jobs done around the house.
- Pockets – With two lower patch pockets, a button-flap chest pocket, and a slotted utility chest pocket, there is plenty of room to stash all the tools you need to conquer your chore list. There is also an internal phone pocket on the right side.
- Closure – This jacket’s button-front closure gives it a utilitarian look.
- Cuffs – The sleeves have adjustable cuffs with button closures.
- Garment Care – Filson Dry Tin Cloth is meant to be wiped clean instead of thrown in the wash.
Berne Men’s Traditional Shirt Jacket
The Berne brand of workwear has been around since 1915. Founded in the small town of Berne, Indiana, they set out to make comfortable and dependable workwear for American farmers.
Today they’ve evolved into a company that supplies all sorts of workwear. The Berne Men’s Traditional Shirt Jacket is a nice jacket to consider if you are looking for a durable shirt jacket. Here’s what it looks like:
This is the current price of this Berne shirt jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket.
- Shell Material/Weight – The shell of this jacket is constructed of 8-ounce, 100% cotton duck which provides the sturdiness of duck along with the fit and ease of a classic button-down shirt.
- Lining – The medium-weight quilted taffeta lining offers additional warmth on chilly days. It also ensures that your clothes don’t “stick” when putting on the jacket or while removing it.
- Pockets – Keeping the essentials close at hand is easy with two side-seam pockets as well as two chest pockets with snap closures.
- Closure – An antique nickel, snap-front gives this jacket a simple, functional style.
- Cuffs – Snap sleeve plackets keep cuffs secure.
Other Canvas Shirt Jackets to Consider
- Backpacker Apparel Great Outdoors Shirt Jacket – Backpacker is an outdoor brand built for hikers, and they offer a durable shirt jacket. This shirt uses a 7.5-ounce canvas shell with a flannel lining, and has back shoulder vents to allow some heat to escape while you work. Click here to view this jacket at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Carhartt Men’s Rugged Flex Rigby Shirt Jacket – This Carhartt jacket has a little bit of spandex mixed in to give it some stretch. One thing I like about this jacket is it has a zip-close chest pocket which gives you a safe place to store essentials. This shirt has a fleece lining. Click here to view this jacket at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Gioberti Men’s Shirt Jacket with Flannel Lining – This shirt is made with a pre-washed cotton fabric that will give a broken-in, yet durable, feel. It has a flannel lining and snap-button pockets. It also has an inner pocket for storing essentials. Click here to view this jacket at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Coleman Fleece Lined Washed Canvas Shirt Jacket – Coleman has made a name for itself over the years in the outdoor niche. And this shirt jacket also functions great as a work shirt. This canvas jacket has a fleece lining and a snap-button front. Click here to view this jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
In this article we discussed canvas jackets, if you would prefer a softer shell, visit our article about the best softshell work jackets.