If you are searching for insulated soft toe work boots to help you get through those brutally cold work days, the good news is you do have plenty of options. Many popular work boot companies make soft toe insulated boots.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our choices for the best insulated soft toe work boots for winter work:
- Timberland PRO Direct Attach 200G Insulated Soft Toe Work Boots (click here to view)
- Carhartt Rugged Flex 400G Insulated Soft Toe Work Boots (click here to view)
- Danner Lookout 800G Insulated Service Work Boots (click here to view)
- Carolina 800G Insulated Pitstop Work Boots (click here to view)
- Timberland PRO Men’s Boondock 600G Waterproof Work Boot (click here to view)
- Rocky Bear Claw 3D Waterproof 1000G Insulated Outdoor Boot (click here to view)
- Danner Quarry USA 8″ 400G Insulated Work Boots (click here to view)
- Kodiak Men’s Tagish Waterproof Arctic Grip Winter Boots (click here to view)
- Carolina Thermoset 440G Insulated Soft Toe Boots (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Timberland PRO Direct Attach Soft Toe Insulated Boot (click here to view)
As you probably know, not all insulated work boots offer the same warmth. The weight of insulation used greatly impacts the warmth and suitability of a boot for a certain climate.
***Here’s my advice. If you want a quick understanding of what type of boot insulation may be best for you, then watch my short 45 second video posted below that quickly explains what you need to know. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the button below. Thanks!
Many boots use 3M Thinsulate as insulation. Thinsulate is very useful in boots and outdoor gear because it is extremely warm despite being non-bulky and lightweight. The microfibers trap in heat, but don’t take up a lot of space and don’t add much weight.
Although many of the options on our list use 3M Thinsulate as insulation, it’s important to note that the Timberland PRO boots use Thermolite, a similar but different type of insulation.
Many insulated work boots use 400g of 3M Thinsulate as insulation, but both the weight and type of insulation can vary boot to boot. Although 400 grams of insulation is quite common, that doesn’t mean it makes sense for all jobs.
Let’s start by discussing the different weights of insulation that may be used in a work boot, and what to expect. In this article we discuss work boots. If you are shopping for casual boots, visit our article about the best insulated chukka boots.
Insulated Soft Toe Work Boot Options
Disclaimer: We cannot make guarantees about the temperature ratings of the boots mentioned in this article. Our recommendation is to contact the companies directly for more information. We also cannot make any guarantees about the suitability of these boots for your job. All jobs are different, and all boots are different.
The most common weight of insulation in a work boot is 400 grams, but you can find work boots anywhere in the 200g-2000g range.
Anything beyond 2000g is quite rare, and likely used for high country living, or extreme work conditions near the arctic circle.
For the continental US, 400g boots will often be the best option for most workers, but we must emphasize, there will be exceptions.
For mild winters in the deep south, 400g may be too warm. And for some more extreme US climates, 400g may not be warm enough.
And let’s not forget, insulation isn’t the only thing that will determine the suitability of a work boot for winter (how warm are leather boots?).
Other materials on the boot can affect warmth, and of course your own personal comfort level will play a large role in determining what weight of insulation is best for you.
And to complicate matters even more, most boot companies (for legal reasons) refuse to put a temperature rating on their boots.
This can leave you in the dark and confused when every company tells you their boot “is the warmest out there”. Well, how warm?
What I wear
Ultimately, trial and error is the method I used to find a boot that works for me. In Kansas, I use both a 200g and a 400g work boot (are chukka boots good for snow?).
We get moderate winters here, and can have severe conditions. But we also do experience periods of mild winter temperatures.
So I personally rotate from 200g to 400g as the weather turns. I can’t make that a standard recommendation because I don’t know your job, climate, or personal comfort level, but that is what has worked for me.
Here’s a look at one of my 400g boots (Danner Quarry ~4 years old):
Most insulated work boots fall in the 200g – 600g range, which should give you a decent idea of maybe what you need.
Start with 200g if you work in mild conditions. Moderate conditions might need 400g, and severe conditions will probably need 600g or higher.
In our list at the top, we included boots between the range of 200g – 1000g so that you have a wide selection to choose from.
If you need insulated work boots with insulation beyond 600g, your options will be somewhat limited, but they do exist. In our list at the top, we included both an 800g and a 1000g insulated work boot. There are other options out there too.
Extreme Weather Work Boot Options
As I mentioned earlier, once you get to 1000g+, most boots are outdoor boots (there are a few work boots too). If you are interested in 600g, 800g, or 1000g work boots, visit our articles here:
The main takeaway is if you’re looking for an actual temperature guarantee, for most companies those basically don’t exist, and we certainly can’t give one either.
Most companies won’t make themselves legally vulnerable by placing a temperature guarantee on a product. Unfortunately, as I have learned, sometimes it’s just trial and error to find the boot that best fits your winter needs.
***In this article, we discuss only insulated soft toe work boots. If you need steel toe, visit our article about the best insulated steel toe work boots. For comp toe, visit our article about the best insulated composite toe work boots.
Best Soft Toe Insulated Work Boots
Timberland PRO Direct Attach 200G Insulated Soft Toe Work Boots
Timberland is a boot brand that many workers feel comfortable with. The Timberland PRO line is a line of boots made specifically for workers. The Timberland PRO Direct Attach boots are a popular pair of insulated boots.
Here’s what these boots look like:
This is the current price of these Timberland PRO work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these work boots:
- Material – These boots feature a seam-sealed waterproof leather to provide durability and help keep your feet dry and comfortable. The top collar of the shoe is padded for comfort.
- Insulation – These boots have 200g of Thermolite insulation. Although these are winter boots, 200g is best for more mild winter conditions. These are not built for extreme conditions.
- Soft Toe – Yes, these are soft toe boots, but you can also buy these boots in a steel toe version.
- Sole – The outsole is made from oil- and slip-resistant rubber to provide traction.
- Direct Attach – These boots are built using a direct attach method. For more information, visit our article What are Direct Attach Boots?
- Odor – The footbed has an antimicrobial treatment for breathability and odor control.
Click here to buy these Timberland PRO work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available for these boots.
Danner Quarry USA 8″ 400G Insulated Work Boots
The Danner Quarry boots are rugged, heavy-duty boots. These boots are built for power and durability, and can stand up to some of the toughest work environments.
The Danner Quarry boots are made here in the USA. Here’s what they look like:
This is the current price of these Danner Quarry insulated soft toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). As you can see, they have that classic lace-to-toe boot design.
If you are looking for something that is more like a sneaker (sneakerboot), then these boots won’t be for you.
- These Danner Quarry boots are heavy-duty boots that prioritize toughness and quality, and have a classic, traditional work-boot build. These are 8 inch work boots which will provide support up around the ankle.
Although the Danner Quarry boots are quite comfortable to wear in comparison to other heavy-duty work boots, this boot first and foremost prioritizes toughness and durability. This boot will hold up on jobs where a more modern, lightweight boot will not.
Here’s a look at my Danner Quarry boots:
If you work in an environment that demands toughness from boots, the Danner Quarry delivers. It has a classic lace-to-toe design, where the laces drive down far near the toe of the boot.
- Insulation – These boots have 400 grams of 3M Thinsulate as insulation.
- Soft Toe – Yes, these are soft toe boots, but the Danner Quarry is also offered in an alloy safety toe.
Danner is a premium boot company that has not been willing to sacrifice quality for quantity. They still prioritize premium design features (like lace-to-toe) and prioritize making as many of their styles here in the USA.
This Quarry boot uses what is called a “610 last”. A last is a foot-shaped mold that helps determine the shape and fit of a boot.
The 610 Last used for this boot is Danner’s most universal last and can be worn by many different types and shapes of feet.
According to Danner, this 610 last type is industry standard made true-to-size and has a relatively broad and deep toe box area, which provides more volume in the forefoot and toe.
Click here to buy the Danner Quarry work boots at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available.
Carhartt Rugged Flex 400G Insulated Soft Toe Work Boots
Carhartt is a brand that many workers trust and already wear. They are famous for their rugged work jackets and pants, but in recent years their boot line has gained popularity.
Here’s what these Carhartt Ruggedflex Work Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt insulated soft toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these boots.
- Toe Type – Yes, these are soft toe work boots, but they are also offered in a composite toe version.
- Material – 100% leather uppers; rubber outsole.
- Insulation – These boots use 400 grams of 3M Thinsulate for insulation.
- Waterproof – These boots do have a waterproof breathable membrane to help keep your feet dry while you work.
- Extra Details – These boots have a toe and heel bumper to help the front and back of the boot hold up longer from things like when you kick your boots off at night.
Click here to buy these Carhartt insulated soft toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available for these boots.
Timberland PRO Men’s Boondock 600g Insulated Work Boots
Timberland is a leader in creating comfortable and dependable boots. The Timberland PRO line of boots are premium boots built to handle some of the toughest jobs. The Timberland PRO line does have a 600 gram insulated work boot.
Here’s what these Timberland PRO Men’s Boondock 600g Insulated Work Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Timberland insulated soft toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots are available in wide sizing.
- Waterproof – These boots are composed of waterproof leather with a waterproof membrane for keeping feet dry. They also have a padded top collar.
- Type of Insulation – Yes, these boots use 600 grams of insulation, but they use Thermolite® instead of Thinsulate. Many Timberland boots use Thermolite, which is another warm, non-bulky synthetic insulation.
- Toe Type – This is a soft toe work boot, but it does have a rubber toe bumper that covers the toe of the boot to give it increased durability so the toe of your boot doesn’t wear out fast. But these are not safety toe work boots.
- Material – These boots have a 100% leather upper, a slip-resistant rubber outsole, and a fiberglass shank.
Click here to buy these Timberland insulated soft toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, wide sizing is available for these boots. To read more about fit, visit our article about Timberland Boot Sizing.
Rocky Bear Claw 3D Waterproof 1000G Insulated Outdoor Boot
Rocky Boots is an Ohio-based shoe company that opened in the 1930’s and makes several different types of boots. Rocky makes work boots, outdoor boots, hiking boots, and tactical boots.
These Rocky Mid Calf 1000g boots are not only insulated, but also waterproof. These are outdoor boots that can be used for both recreation and work.
Here’s what these boots look like:
This is the current price of these Rocky Mid Calf 1000g Boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These are lace-to-toe boots which will help pass maximum control to your foot.
- Toe Type – These are soft toe boots.
- Insulated – These boots are lined with 1,000 grams of 3M Thinsulate to keep your feet warm and insulated.
- Durable – The boots are made from 100% real leather with hard soles for durability.
- Breathable – These boots are made from GORE-TEX that allows air to circulate while keeping your feet warm in the winter.
- Cushioned – The sole has a cushioned footbed to keep your feet comfortable and prevent sores and callouses.
- Waterproof – This boot is made from waterproofing materials (Gore-Tex) that keeps moisture from seeping into your boots, whether you’re working in the rain or shoveling in deep snow.
These boots are built for extreme conditions. If you are only facing mild winter conditions, a 1000g boot will likely be way too much for you. That’s a good way to sweat right out of a boot.
But if you are facing extreme conditions, that are borderline dangerous, this may be a nice option. If you like the style of this boot, Rocky offers it in other weights of insulation in case 1000g is too much for your situation.
Click here to buy these Rocky Insulated Boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available for these boots.
Danner Lookout 800G Insulated Service Work Boots
Danner boots is based out of Portland, Oregon and has been making premium work boots since 1932. If you are looking for a pair of insulated tactical boots, Danner has a style of boots that might work for you.
Here’s what the Danner Men’s Lookout 800G Tactical Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Danner 800 gram tactical boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
These boots are made with a combination of leather and ripstop nylon for weight control. They are waterproof and have a broad toe box to help increase responsiveness.
Carolina Insulated Soft Toe Work Boots
Double-H boots was founded by H. H. Brown in Pennsylvania in the 1950’s. Double-H boots specialized in western boots and eventually became the first company to ever manufacture a steel-toe western boot.
Eventually, the safety division of the company grew to the point where it developed its own brand, and was called the Carolina Shoe Company.
Present day, Carolina Shoe Company offers a wide variety of work boots, including insulated soft toe work boots. Here are three options to consider:
- Carolina 800G Insulated Pitstop Work Boots – This is a waterproof work boot that has 800 grams of 3M Thinsulate for insulation, so it is built for more extreme environments. It is a soft toe boot but does have a steel shank for support. Click here to view this Carolina Pitstop Work Boot.
- Carolina Millwright 200g Insulated Soft Toe Boots – These waterproof 6″ boots have that traditional work boot design. They use 200 grams of 3M Thinsulate for insulation, so they are built for more mild winter conditions. These are soft toe boots but they also have a steel shank for support. Click here to view these Carolina Millwright boots.
- Carolina Thermoset 440G Insulated Soft Toe Boots – These waterproof boots fall in-between the other two boots we discussed first. This boot uses 440 grams of 3M Thinsulate for insulation. These boots also have anti-odor treatment. Click here to view these Carolina Thermoset work boots.
Best Women’s Insulated Soft Toe Work Boots
You may not have as many choices as men, but if you are a woman looking for an insulated soft toe work boot, you still have some nice options. Timberland PRO actually offers their Direct Attach insulated boots in a women’s version.
Here’s what these boots look like:
This is the current price of these women’s insulated soft toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots are made with leather uppers and slip-resistant outsoles.
These boots use 200g of Thermolite insulation. Although these boots aren’t built for dangerous, extreme conditions, they will provide warmth in more mild winter conditions.