Working outside in winter can be brutal, and having a pair of insulated work boots can help. If you are looking for insulated steel toe work boots, you do have options from some well-known work boot brands.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
Here are some of the most popular insulated steel toe boots for winter work on the market today:
- Caterpillar Diagnostic Waterproof 200g Insulated Steel Toe Boots (click here to view)
- Timberland PRO Men’s 400g Direct Attach Steel-Toe Boots (click here to view)
- Rocky Men’s Ranger Steel Toe 600g Insulated Work Boots (click here to view)
- Chippewa Men’s Waterproof Insulated Steel-Toe Logger Boot (click here to view)
- Carolina Insulated 400g Surveyor Steel Toe Work Boots (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Wellington 400g Waterproof Steel Toe Work Boots (click here to view)
- Danner Men’s Steel Yard 6″ Insulated 400g Construction Boots (click here to view)
- Muck Boot Arctic Performance Insulated Steel Toe Rubber Boots (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Timberland PRO Direct Attach Steel-Toe Waterproof Insulated Boots (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Chippewa Women’s 8″ Waterproof Insulated Steel Toe Logger Boots (click here to view)
The options for steel toe insulated work boots is somewhat limited. Many companies choose to make insulated boots with composite toes or soft toes. Unfortunately, composite and soft toe boots can’t provide the protection of a steel toe boot.
But as you can see from the list above, some of the most popular brands in work boots do have a steel toe insulated boot option. So, even though the options are limited, it’s nice to have well-known brands to choose from. If you prefer a rubber work boot, visit our article about the best insulated steel toe rubber boots.
***Here’s my advice. If you want a quick understanding of what type of insulation may be best for your insulated steel toe boots, then watch my short 45 second video posted below that quickly explains what you need to know. Also, please subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the button below. Thanks!
The first thing you need to understand about insulated boots is that not all insulation is the same. The weight of insulation used can vary boot to boot, and have a significant impact on the overall warmth of the boot.
For example, although the Caterpillar Diagnostic boots are very popular, they only have 200g of Thinsulate insulation. For some jobs, this will be perfect, for others, it won’t. You’ll have to match a boot to your own specific needs.
Unfortunately, we cannot make any guarantees about the suitability of these boots for your job because we don’t know your work conditions or your own personal comfort level. All jobs are different, and all boots are different.
And one challenge when buying winter work boots is most companies, due to legal reasons, do not attach a warmth rating to their products. This can make it difficult to find a boot that makes sense for your job.
While we certainly can’t offer a warmth guarantee either, let’s start by discussing the different types and weights of boot insulation. Once you understand that, you might have a better idea what type of insulated steel toe work boot makes the most sense for your job.
But again, please understand that yes, all the boots on our list are insulated steel toe boots, but that doesn’t mean that all the boots will make sense for your job. These boots vary in warmth, and sometimes it just takes trial and error to find a boot that fits your needs.
***If you need composite toe boots, visit our article about the best insulated composite toe work boots.
What Type of Insulated Steel Toe Boot Do You Need?
Disclaimer: We cannot make guarantees about the temperature ratings of the boots mentioned in this article. Our recommendation is to contact the companies directly for more information. We also cannot make any guarantees about the suitability of these boots for your job. All jobs are different, and all boots are different.
Not all insulated work boots are the same, and they will provide varying degrees of warmth. The type, but especially the weight, of insulation used will greatly impact the warmth of a boot (explaining types of boot insulation).
Many boot companies like to use 3M Thinsulate as an insulation. Thinsulate is very thin and lightweight, and does an excellent job at trapping heat. Thinsulate delivers warmth, without being heavy or bulky. Here’s a look at a pair of my insulated Danner boots that use Thinsulate:
The least amount of Thinsulate you will see in a work boot is usually 200 grams. The first thing you will need to decide when shopping for an insulated steel toe boot, is what weight of insulation do you need?
A work boot that has 200 grams of Thinsulate is generally more of a mild winter boot. It won’t provide you warmth for severe conditions, but can provide adequate warmth for active jobs on mild to maybe even moderate winter days.
If you work in severe conditions, you will likely need to go with a heavier insulation. The level of insulation you need depends on your climate, activity level, and personal comfort level.
And it’s important to remember, there are other factors in a work boot besides insulation that can affect warmth. As I said earlier, most companies do not assign a warmth rating to a boot for legal reasons, so trial and error may be what it takes to find a boot that fits your needs.
I personally use a lot of 400 gram insulated boots here in Kansas. That’s what fits my comfort level the best. I also own some 200g boots that I will wear from time to time, but I mainly rely on 400 gram insulation:
Some jobs in the northern US will need something even beyond 400 grams. To read more, visit our article about the best 800g insulated work boots. For some extreme jobs, you may even need a 1000g insulated work boot, or beyond.
***If you are interested in pull-on boots, visit our article about the best insulated pull on work boots.
Best Insulated Steel Toe Boots for Winter
Caterpillar Diagnostic Waterproof Insulated Steel Toe Boots
Caterpillar is the world’s foremost manufacturer of heavy equipment, but in recent decades Caterpillar has also become a reliable supplier of industrial and casual footwear for America’s workers (source). And they do make a pair of insulated steel toe work boots.
Here’s what these Caterpillar Diagnostic Waterproof Insulated Steel Toe Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Caterpillar steel toe winter boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots are available in wide sizing.
- Material – These boots are crafted with 100% leather.
- Waterproof – The leather uppers are waterproof which also adds protection for a winter environment.
- Steel Toe – Yes, these Caterpillar boots have a steel toe.
- Insulation – These steel-toe boots use a 200g Thinsulate insulation.
- Sole – These Caterpillar work boots features a durable rubber sole on the bottom that is oil, water, and abrasion resistant.
- Footbed – An EVA foam insert with gel technology comes with the boot to provide you with extra comfort. The insert is removable so you can swap it out or clean it.
Again, these boots use a 200g Thinsulate insulation. Yes, this boot will provide warmth in comparison to normal work boots that aren’t insulated, but this boot probably won’t be warm enough if you work in dangerously cold environments.
Generally, 200g boots are better used in mild winter conditions for those who have an active job where they move around a lot. If you sit and operate equipment in sub-freezing temperatures, sticking with heavier insulation would probably be best.
Again, it’s about matching the warmth of your boot to your job. For some workers, 200g is perfect because it gives them a bit of warmth, but not so much that they sweat out of their boot.
Wolverine Men’s Marauder Insulated Steel Toe Work Boots
Wolverine is another well-known name in industrial footwear. They have an insulated steel toe work boot that has 400g of Thinsulate (our first option had 200g).
Here’s what these Wolverine Men’s Marauder Insulated Steel Toe Work Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Wolverine steel toe winter work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots are available in wide sizing.
- Material – Made from 100% leather, with a mesh lining that wicks away moisture to keep your feet dry and cool for all day comfort.
- Insulation – These boots use 400g of 3M thinsulate, which is heavier than the 200g of Thinsulate used on the Cat boots we discussed first.
- Sole – These Wolverine boots feature a rubber sole that is slip and oil resistant.
- Steel Toe – Yes, these Wolverine boots have a steel toe.
- Unique Feature – These boots feature a contour welt. This allows the boot to bend and flex, and makes it a little easier to wear. This gives you the toughness of a work boot, but the comfort of hiking boot.
These boots use 400g of Thinsulate insulation. Obviously, this is more than the 200g of Thinsulate used in the Cat boots we discussed first. If you are on the fence about whether the 200g boot will be warm enough, it might be best to error on the side of caution and go with a 400g boot.
Again, boot insulation goes even much higher than 400g. I personally wear both 200g and 400g for Kansas winters, but all jobs and climates are different. Because boot companies rarely attach a temperature rating, sometimes you have to learn just by trying boots to see how they feel in the elements.
Click here to buy these Wolverine steel toe winter work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Expect these boots to fit true to size.
Timberland PRO Men’s Direct Attach Steel-Toe Boot
Timberland is a boot brand that many workers feel comfortable with. Their popular Direct Attach boots do come in an insulated steel toe version.
Here’s what these Timberland boots look like:
This is the current price of these Timberland insulated steel toe boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots are available in wide sizing.
- Material – These boots feature a seam-sealed waterproof leather to provide durability and help keep your feet dry and comfortable. The top collar of the shoe is padded for comfort.
- Steel Toe – Yes, this is a steel toe work boot.
- Insulation – These boots use 400g of Thermolite insulation. Thermolite is another synthetic insulation used in footwear.
- Sole – The outsole is made from oil-resistant rubber to provide traction. The midsole of the book has a lightweight plastic for added flexibility and cushioning.
- Odor – The footbed has an antimicrobial treatment for breathability and odor control.
These boots use 400 grams of Thermolite insulation. Many people often wonder how Thermolite compares to Thinsulate, and in my experience, it feels very similar.
Another synthetic insulation you’ll find in work boots from time to time is PrimaLoft. Overall, all these insulations offer (in my opinion) similar levels of warmth. I’ve always felt like PrimaLoft is a bit fluffier.
I’ve owned several pairs of these Timberland Direct Attach boots over the years, and I feel like these boots are warm enough to handle most winter conditions that I face. Again, if you are outside in extremely severe winter conditions, and you’re not very active, you may need even more warmth than this, but for mild to moderate winter conditions, I’ve feel like these boots keep my feet warm.
As I said earlier, I can’t make a warmth guarantee, and every job and every person is unique, but I’ve always felt like these boots do just fine in common winter conditions that I experience here in Kansas. Here’s a look at my newest pair of Timberland Direct Attach boots:
To read more about how Timberland boots fit, visit our article about Timberland Boot Sizing.
Rocky Men’s Steel Toe BlizzardStalker 1200g Work Boots
Rocky Boots is an Ohio-based shoe company that opened in the 1930’s and makes several different types of boots. Rocky makes work boots, outdoor boots, hiking boots, and tactical boots.
This boot uses 1200 gram of Thinsulate, and is built for unbearably-cold temperatures. Here’s what these boots look like:
This is the current price of these Rocky insulated steel toe boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These are 9-inch boots that will fit a little farther up your leg that some of the other options on this list.
Again, this is a 1200g boot. When you get to 800g or 1000g+, you’re talking about a boot that is built for more extreme conditions. There’s two ways to look at this boot.
First, this boot may be a perfect answer for you if you do work in dangerous temperatures, especially if you aren’t extremely active in these temperatures (like a machine operator).
But it’s also important to point out, if you work in a more mild winter climate, these boots may be too warm for you. We all want our feet to be warm, but sweating out of your boots is no fun either. So just be sure these make sense for your conditions.
These boot are also waterproof. They have cordura nylon on the upper which is ultra-durable, but helps keep the weight of the boot under control since these boots fit a little higher up the leg than other options.
Click here to buy these Rocky insulated steel toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, I personally would be hesitant to use these boots for mild winter conditions just out of fear that they’d be too warm.
Carolina Insulated 600g Installer Steel Toe Work Boots
Double-H boots was founded by H. H. Brown in Pennsylvania in the 1950’s. Double-H boots specialized in western boots and eventually became the first company to ever manufacture a steel-toe western boot. Eventually, the safety division of the company grew to the point where it developed its own brand, and was called the Carolina Shoe Company.
Carolina has an insulated steel toe work boot that uses 600 grams of Thinsulate insulation:
- Carolina Insulated 600g Installer Steel Toe Work Boots – These boots have a traditional work boot design. Not only are they insulated but they have a waterproof “Scubaliner” to help keep your feet warm and dry. Yes, these are steel toe boots. They are oil and slip-resistant boots. Click here to view these Carolina Work Boots.
Danner Men’s Steel Yard 6″ Insulated 400g Construction Boots
Danner boots is based out of Portland, Oregon and has been making premium work boots since 1932. If you are looking for a pair of insulated steel toe work boots, Danner has a boot that might work perfect for you.
Here’s what these Danner Steel Yard Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Danner work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots have that traditional work boot style.
- Material – This boot provides waterproof protection with a durable, lightweight leather on the upper part of the boot.
- Steel Toe – Yes, these are steel toe work boots.
- Insulation – For warmth, this boot uses 400g of Thinsulate insulation.
- Sole – The Danner boot features a rubber sole for support and stability.
Carhartt Men’s 11″ Wellington Waterproof Steel Toe Work Boot
Carhartt is a well-known name in workwear, and a brand that many workers trust. The cool thing is they offer a pull on steel toe insulated boot, which is perfect for those of you who prefer a slip-on boot.
Here’s what these Carhartt boots look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt insulated steel toe boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available for these boots.
- Material – This steel-toed boot features a 60% leather and 40% nylon construction with Storm Defender waterproof breathable protection.
- Insulation – The insulation of these boots is 400g Litefire insulation.
- Sole – The Carhartt Wellington boots have a synthetic sole.
- Unique Feature – These are the only boots on the list that feature a pull-on style to allow you to be protected and get out the door quickly.
Click here to buy these Carhartt steel toe winter work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). LiteFire is another synthetic insulation that keeps you warm without being bulky.
Women’s Insulated Steel Toe Work Boots
Unfortunately, there aren’t as many options on the market today for women’s insulated steel toe boots as there are for men. But the good news is you do have an option from a well-known brand.
Here’s what the Timberland Women’s Insulated Steel-Toe Direct Attach boots look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt insulated steel toe boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots do have a steel safety toe.
These boots use 200 grams of Thinsulate for insulation. As we have discussed throughout the article, 200 grams is best used for more mild winter conditions, and for those who have active jobs.
If you sit and operate machinery all day, with a low activity level, you may need to go to a higher weight of insulation. But these Timberland Direct Attach boots are very popular, and give women an insulated work boot from a brand they can trust.