In this article we discuss how Dickies jackets fit. I have worn the Dickies Eisenhower Jacket and the Dickies Quilted Work Jacket for several years, and in my experience, Dickies jackets fit true to size. I have always ordered my normal sizing for Dickies jacket sizing, and not had issues.
**UPDATE – Dickies now offers its own size guide to help you find the correct sizing. If you click here to visit Dickies.com and scroll down under the product image you should see a link to the size guide which will give you more detailed information on finding the proper fit (paid affiliate link takes you to Dickies.com).
In this article we are going to discuss how Dickies jackets fit, using photos of the jackets I own. Let’s also discuss some of Dickies most popular options so you can find a jacket that fits your needs. If you want to browse through my favorite work jackets, visit my article about the best work jackets.
How Do Dickies Jackets Fit?
In my experience, most Dickies jackets run true to size, but may have a relaxed fit in case you need to layer underneath. I have always ordered my normal sizing and not had any issues. Let’s dive into some specifics so you know what to look out for when ordering Dickies jackets.
Do Dickies Jackets Run Big?
My recommendation for Dickies jackets and coats is to order your true size. Obviously, every Dickies jacket and coat can have its own unique fit, but in my own personal experience, I have always found that my true sizing has fit the best in regards to Dickies jackets.
It is important to expect Dickies’ warmer, winter jackets and coats to have extra room built in, but I still do not recommend sizing these winter coats down. This is done so that 1) you have room to layer underneath in dangerous conditions and 2) you have space to move around and work while wearing the jacket. The last thing you want is a tight work jacket that restricts your movement.
As for Dickies lighter-weight spring/fall jackets, I have not found any of these light-weight jackets to fit too big. My recommendation is to stick with your normal sizing.
Dickies Eisenhower Jacket Sizing
The Dickies Eisenhower jacket is one of Dickies’ most popular jackets. It has a sort of classic, retro style that fits in nicely as a mechanic jacket.
It is a versatile jacket that you can use both as a casual jacket and a work jacket. It has a relaxed it through the stomach. This is not a long jacket with a drop tail. It is designed to hit at or near the waist, which is a popular style for many service technicians.
The Eisenhower jacket has a clean, classic style. It is a zip-front with a poly/cotton shell and button cuffs, but is also offered in a denim version.
I have the insulated version, which has a quilted-nylon lining which is perfect for cool spring/fall days, or mild winter days:
Again, it has a relaxed fit through the stomach and hits near the waist line. I did not size up or size down. Here I am wearing a size medium (6’2″ 200 pounds):
For reference, here I am wearing a medium t-shirt:
Dickies Diamond-Quilted Nylon Jacket Sizing
The Dickies Diamond-Quilted Nylon Jacket is my favorite Dickies jacket, and has a sort of quilted bomber style. It is another Dickies jacket that fits in great both as a work jacket and as a casual jacket. It has a lightweight, comfortable feeling against your skin, but does provide what I would describe as medium warmth (it has a jersey knit lining).
This jacket is water resistant and has a rib knit collar, cuffs, and back waist. Here is a look at mine:
This jacket has a standard fit that hits at or near the waist. The back waist line is cuffed, but the front is not. Here I am wearing a size medium (6’2″ 200):
As you can see, it has a standard fit through the chest and hits right near my waist line. The sleeves have plenty of length even for me at 6’3″ tall. I recommend ordering your normal sizing for this jacket.
Dickies Winter Coats Sizing
The two jackets above are both lighter-weight jackets that are best for spring/fall and mild winter days. If you are looking for something heavier that you can use for cold winter days, I would recommend considering the Dickies Denim Blanket-Lined Chore Coat or the Dickies FLEX Sanded Duck Mobility Jacket.
These are both heavyweight options that will keep you warm during the winter. In general, expect these heavier winter coats to fit a bit bigger than the jackets posted above.
Most work winter jackets and coats have extra room built in so that you can layer underneath, and so that you can freely move and work while wearing the coat. I would recommend ordering your normal sizing, with the expectation that the coat/jacket will have extra room built in.
If you are interested in a winter work jacket, I would strongly recommend considering Carhartt. You can read about our favorite winter Carhartt jackets by visiting our article: Warmest Carhartt Jackets.
Dickies Jacket Sizing Summary
- Expect the lightweight jackets to fit true to size. Many of Dickies lightweight jackets hit at or near the waist, so make sure you are considering length when ordering Dickies jackets.
- Heavy winter coats will have a bit more space built-in so that you can layer underneath during extreme winter conditions.
- If you are working a job that requires frequent arm movement, I would consider buying a Dickies jacket that has a pleated, bi-swing back so that you have freedom of movement around your shoulders.
- In my experience, I have found the overall sleeve length of Dickies jackets to be plenty long enough, even for me at 6’3″ tall.
- Most Dickies Jackets have either a standard fit or a relaxed fit. Again, this is mainly so that your body has room to work and function while wearing these jackets.
- Dickies Insulated Eisenhower Jacket – Versatile jacket can be used for office, work, or casual. Doesn’t look out of place anywhere. Great for mechanics and service technicians. Classic collar, front-zip style. Run true to size, with a relaxed fit. Hits at waistline. Quilted nylon lining good for spring/fall or mild winter days.
- Dickies Denim Blanket-Lined Chore Coat – This is one of Dickies’ warmest work coats. Blanket-lined interior, denim exterior, corduroy collar. Button front. Five pockets for plenty of storage. Drop tail past waist for added warmth. Bi-swing back for easy movement. I suggest ordering true size. This coat runs just a slight bit big so that you have room to layer underneath in dangerous conditions. Great for farmers.
- Dickies Diamond-Quilted Nylon Jacket – Awesome casual jacket. Bomber style, zip front. Very comfortable with rib-knit cuffs, collar, and back waist. Water-resistant. Lightweight poly/cotton lining. Medium-warmth jacket best for spring/fall. This is my favorite Dickies jacket. Runs true to size with a standard cut, hits near waist.
- Dickies FLEX Sanded Duck Mobility Jacket – This is a winter option. Warm coat with quilted lining and 9.8 oz Duck flex fabric exterior. Bi-swing back. Very easy to move around in this jacket. Hooded, with front zip. Water-repellent. Drop tail finishes past waist. Dickies jacket sizing runs a bit bigger for this jacket, but I recommend ordering true size. Extra room for layering.