Denim work jackets provide a nice balance between comfort and durability, and can fit in nicely both on and off the clock. I like the Wrangler Rugged Wear Denim Jacket as a nice unlined work jacket that can be slipped over other layers on cooler days. If you want a warmer option, I’d recommend the Filson Denim Jacket linked below that uses a warm brushed-flannel lining for insulation.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best work jean jackets:
- Wrangler Men’s Rugged Wear Denim Jacket (click here to view)
- Filson Men’s Lined Denim Cruiser Jacket (click here to view)
- Tellason Stock USA Men’s 14 oz Denim Chore Coat (click here to view)
- Dickies Men’s Warming Temp-iq Denim Eisenhower Jacket (click here to view)
- Levi’s Men’s Sherpa Fleece Trucker Jacket (click here to view)
- Ciano Farmer Denim Co. 14oz Indigo Cone Mills Selvage Type III Jacket (click here to view)
- Schaefer Outfitter’s Legend Denim Jacket w/ Fleece Blanket Lining (click here to view)
- Wrangler Men’s Western Style Lined Denim Jacket (click here to view)
- Railcar Fine Goods Wool Lined Denim Chore Coat (click here to view)
- Lee Men’s Denim Chore Coat (click here to view)
- *Big & Tall* Liberty Blues™ Men’s Denim Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Carhartt Women’s Benson Denim Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Lee Women’s Denim Chore Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Dickies Temp-iq Flex Denim Eisenhower Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Schaefer Outfitter Blanket Fleece Lined Denim Jacket (click here to view)
As I mentioned briefly at the top, one of the first things you will need to decide is whether or not you need an insulated denim work jacket. If you are looking for an unlined jacket to slide over your work shirt on cool fall days, I like the Wrangler Rugged Wear Work Jean Jacket. But because it is unlined, it won’t be able to handle brutal temperatures.
There are several jackets on the list above that do have an insulating lining for extra warmth. Some options, like the Filson Denim Cruiser Jacket, use a flannel lining, while other options may use a blanket fleece, or a Sherpa fleece lining.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best work jean jackets so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying these types of denim jackets for work.
Best Denim Work Jackets
Wrangler Men’s Rugged Wear Denim Work Jacket
It’s very easy to think of Wrangler when you think of denim, and yes, they have many denim jackets to choose from. This Wrangler Rugged Wear Denim Jackets is a bit more suited for work than some of their other casual jackets. This jacket has a reinforced construction for durability and features several pockets for storage.
Here’s what this Wrangler jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Wrangler work jean jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Design – Yes, this jacket is made with 100% cotton denim. It has a full button-close front. There are two flap-close external chest pockets for storage, and has two side hand-warmer pockets.
- Warmth – This is an unlined denim jacket that will be best used as a layering piece in the fall and spring, or for mild winter days. It is not meant to take on brutal temperatures. That said, the nice thing about this jacket is for active work, on cooler days you can slip it over a flannel and not sweat out of it in 10 minutes.
- Fit – This jacket is design with a roomy, relaxed fit, that gives you plenty of space to layer underneath this jacket, and plenty of space to move around freely while wearing the jacket. It is designed to finish near the waist.
Click here to buy this Wrangler denim work jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This jacket is machine washable.
Filson Made in USA Cruiser Flannel Lined Denim Jacket
Filson is a clothing company based in Seattle WA that has a deep-rooted tradition in providing heavy-duty dependable workwear. Their founder, C.C. Filson, opened shop in 1897 and, at that time, specialized in making ultra-tough, ultra-dependable clothing for stampeders heading north for the Klondike Gold Rush.
Modern day, they’ve transitioned into a company that provides a wide range of outdoor gear (not just workwear). Their gear can be worn by fisherman, loggers, miners, engineers, explorers, and even just everyday folk looking for rugged casualwear.
This is what the Filson Flannel Lined Denim Cruiser Jacket looks like available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to filson.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This Filson flannel lined denim jacket is made premium 14-ounce durable raw cotton denim sourced from the famous Cone Denim Mills. This denim will develop its own unique faded patina over time to give it a worn-in casual look.
- Made in USA – This jacket is sewn in the USA. It is a button-front jacket designed to have a modern fit that finishes near the waist. This waist finish prevents the jacket from riding up when you sit down.
- Type of Lining – This is a flannel lined denim jacket. As I mentioned at the top, I personally prefer flannel lining because I feel like it is more comfortable to wear and also allows the jacket to breathe a little bit. Filson uses Alaskan Guide brushed flannel for the lining in this winter denim jacket.
- Pockets – This jacket has large assortment of pockets and slots to give you plenty of space to store essentials. One of the chest pockets is a flap-close pockets, and there are also two hand-warmer pockets. The hand-warmer pokcets are deep and can easily store work or riding gloves.
Click here to buy this Filson flannel lined denim work jacket available at Filson.com (affiliate link takes you to Filson.com). This jacket is machine washable.
Tellason Stock Raw Denim USA Chore Coat
Tellason is a denim-focused apparel brand based out of San Francisco, California. They are a newer company (founded in 2008 by friends Tony Patella and Pete Searson). They make a classic denim chore coat that might be perfect for you if you prefer a functional, classic design.
Here’s what this Tellason Stock Chore Coat looks like:
This is the current price of this Tellason Stock Denim Work Coat available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this coat:
- Material – This chore coat is constructed of 14-ounce, non-selvedge, 100% cotton Cone Mills White Oak raw denim. This is an unlined coat, built more for mildly cool temperatures, or for laying over other outerwear.
- Fit – A classically designed piece that adds fashion to function, the raw denim allows you to create your own wear patterns over time and will eventually mold to your body shape, creating a custom fit.
- Made in USA – This denim work jacket is made in USA. The denim is milled in North Carolina and sewn in California.
- Design – Featuring six utility pockets designed for everything from carrying a newspaper to a tool, there is a place for anything you could need in this coat. It has five pockets on the front, two with button closures, as well as an interior pocket. A buttoned front placket gives the coat a traditional appearance.
- Shrinking – This is raw denim which has not been pre-washed. It has, however, been sanforized to prevent shrinkage.
Click here to buy this Tellason Stock Denim Work Coat available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This work jean jacket is cut and sewn in San Francisco.
Dickies Men’s Warming Temp-iq Denim Eisenhower Jacket
The Dickies Eisenhower Jacket has a classic design that finishes near the waist and blends in nicely both on and off the clock. Dickies offers this jacket in non-denim versions, but recently released this denim version.
This is what this Dickies Men’s Denim Eisenhower Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Dickies Eisenhower work jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this workwear jacket:
- Material – This denim work jacket is made with a cotton/polyester/spandex blend to help ensure that it is both flexible and durable, while maintaining a comfortable denim feel. This jacket has a full zipper front closure.
- Type of Lining – This jacket has a flannel lining to help retain warmth on cold days. Dickies Temp-iq technology allows this jacket to be both warm and breathable.
- Features – This Dickies work jacket features slash front welt pockets. There is also a pencil pocket located on the left sleeve. This is a collared jacket with no attached hood.
- Fit – A waist-length, classic fit that is cut true to size and generous throughout the chest and shoulders. There are adjustable tabs at the waistband.
Click here to buy this Dickies Men’s Insulated Denim Work Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). To read more about sizing, visit our article about Dickies Jacket Sizing.
Other Denim Work Jackets to Consider
- Lee Men’s Denim Heritage Chore Coat – This Lee Men’s coat has a classic chore-style design and is made with 100% cotton denim. If features 4 front pockets for storage, and comes in both lined and unlined versions. It has a regular fit that will finish past the waist for extra weather protection below the belt. Click here to view this Lee denim work coat available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Ciano Farmer Denim Co. 14oz Indigo Cone Mills Selvage Type III Jacket – Ciano Farmer Denim Co. is a locally-owned business located in Texas that handmakes jackets, pants, shirts, and other workwear. This winter denim work jean jacket is made with selvage denim sourced from Cone Mills and is lined with a wool blanket liner. It can be customized in a variety of ways to fit your specific needs. Click here to view this work jean jacket available at CianoFarmer.com.
- Schaefer Outfitter’s Legend Denim Jacket w/ Fleece Blanket Lining – This Schaefer Outfitters fleece lined denim jacket is another option that is made here in the USA. And it’s a little more affordable that some of the other made in the USA options on this list. This fleece lined denim jacket is made with 14.5-ounce denim and features a distinctive leather collar. It has a four-pocket front for storage. Click here to view this work jean jacket available at SchaeferOutfitter.com.
- *Women’s* Carhartt Benson Denim Jacket – If you are shopping for a women’s Carhartt trucker jacket that is made of denim, this will be your best option. This jacket has a button-front design and has a small bit of spandex incorporated into the denim to give this jacket some stretch. This jacket has a four-pocket front for plenty of storage space. Click here to view this Carhartt Benson women’s’ denim work jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Denim Work Jackets
Insulated Denim Work Jackets
As we have discussed throughout, not all work jean jackets will have a lining. If you prefer a lining, you do have options. You can find fleece, flannel, Sherpa, blanket, and wool lining. And, of course, there is more that goes into the warmth of a jacket besides the lining (for example, the weight of the denim also matters).
Although I like several different types of lining, I personally prefer flannel lined denim jackets. I think the flannel lining is warm and comfortable, but also has a bit of breathability so I don’t feel overheated when I wear the jacket. In my opinion, fleece traps more heat than flannel. To read more, visit my article about the best insulated denim jackets.
Denim Chore Jackets
A chore coat can be used in both city factories and country fields. Casually, it can be worn as a weekend jacket, or even a riding jacket. Its versatility drives its popularity. Not all these jackets will have a lining. Some are built more for fall/spring, while others will be able to stand up to winter conditions.
Chore coats typically have a loose, relaxed fit that can easily fit over the top of other work clothes. They have plenty of storage pockets and typically finish well past the waist.
Some of the denim coats built more for style may have a sleeker design, or may be shrink-to-fit jackets. In general, most chore coats have a roomy fit, but it can vary a bit by brand. To read about options, visit my article about the best denim chore coats.
Alternatives to Work Jean Jackets
These denim work jackets are stylish, functional, and warm, but perhaps there are other options out there that fit your needs better. For example, if you are in a milder climate, would a lined shirt jacket make more sense? Or maybe even a flannel shirt jacket?
If you are in a colder environment, would a hooded work jacket be a better option? It is difficult to find a lot of hooded denim jackets – if you want to explore options, visit our article about the best hooded jean jackets.
To read about more winter options, visit our articles linked below:
- Sherpa lined work jackets
- Blanket lined work jackets
- Fleece and Flannel lined canvas jackets
- Best insulated trucker jackets
- Lumberjack work jackets
- Wool work jackets
- Hooded Trucker Style Jackets
Flexible Denim Work Jackets
Many work jean jackets are made with 100% cotton. Although cotton denim is very comfortable to wear, it won’t be very flexible.
Some denim work coats and jackets will incorporate spandex into the denim fabric to help give the jacket some stretch. This can be particularly important if you rely on range-of-motion while on the job. If you prefer a stretch fabric, I’d recommend the Dickies Denim Eisenhower Jacket on my list at the top of the page.
The Length of Denim Work Jackets
Most denim work jackets will finish at or near the waist. Not only does this give the jacket a modern look that can be worn in a variety of ways, it also prevents the jacket from riding up over your shoulders when you sit down. If you prefer your jacket or coat to finish past the waist, then you will want to consider a denim chore coat.