When it comes to reliable and durable workwear, Filson is one of my favorite options. Filson offers a wide range of work jackets designed to withstand the rigors of demanding jobs and harsh environments. I also like the fact that some Filson Work Jackets are still made in the USA.
Here are some of my favorite Filson Work Jackets:
- Tin Cloth Work Jacket: Made with durable 14-oz. oil finish Tin Cloth, this jacket is highly resistant to weather conditions. It features snap-flap cargo pockets, a flannel-lined hand pocket, and is designed to provide excellent durability and functionality for work or outdoor activities. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Mackinaw Wool Work Jacket: Constructed with 24-oz. Mackinaw Wool, this jacket offers wind resistance and insulation even when wet. It has four cargo pockets, hand pockets, and a rear pocket, providing ample storage space. The jacket is built to last and has a classic design reminiscent of Filson’s iconic Cruiser. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Tin Cloth Short Lined Cruiser: A variant of the Cruiser jacket, this model features a shorter length and is made with 14-oz. oil finish Tin Cloth. It offers water resistance and durability, with snap-flap cargo pockets and a lining for added versatility. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Lined Tin Cloth Cruiser Jacket: Building upon the durability of Tin Cloth, this Cruiser jacket has a special lining for added warmth. It features four cargo pockets, hand pockets, and a rear pocket, and is compatible with Filson button-on hoods for additional protection. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket: The classic Mackinaw Wool Cruiser is known for its wind resistance and insulation properties, even when wet. With its four cargo pockets, hand pockets, and rear pocket, it offers ample storage space while providing the timeless appeal of wool construction. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Seattle Wool Jac-Shirt: Made with 18-oz. wool, this Jac-Shirt provides excellent wind resistance and insulation, even when wet. Its versatile design makes it suitable as a heavy shirt, overshirt, or light jacket, and the two chest pockets offer convenient storage. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
- Lined Denim Cruiser Jacket: This variant of Filson’s classic Cruiser jacket is made with heavy-duty raw denim and features a lining for added warmth. It has a snap-front closure, adjustable cuffs, and a corduroy-lined collar. Over time, the jacket will develop its own unique fade and wear patterns. Click here to view this jacket at Filson.com (paid affiliate link takes you to Filson.com).
My advice is to start by choosing the type of outer-shell fabric you need and the type of insulation/lining you need. Filson Tin Cloth Jackets are ultra-durable and weather-resistant, but they can feel stiff and take time to break in. If you prefer a more comfortable fit, the Filson Wool Jackets are flexible and don’t require a break-in period and they also provide natural weather resistance (they do a great job of insulating even when wet).
Filson offers a wide range of linings and insulations to accommodate colder work environments, and if you work in more mild temperatures, Filson Shirt Jackets might be the perfect option. In this article let’s take a closer look at the some of the most popular Filson work jackets so you can choose an option that makes sense for your job.
My Favorite Types of Filson Work Jackets
Filson Tin Cloth Work Jacket
|Ample storage with snap-flap cargo pockets and hand pockets||Not built for extreme sub zero cold|
|Wax coated for water resistance||Requires periodic rewaxing for maximum water resistance|
|Wool lining on collar for warmth and protection||Limited color options|
|Durable and protects against abrasions and thorns||Requires breaking-in period|
|Hip-length cut for easy access to tool belt||Spot cleaning needed to keep jacket fresh|
The Filson Tin Cloth Work Jacket offers several advantages, including exceptional durability and outstanding weather resistance. Made with 14-oz. oil finish Tin Cloth, this jacket offers outstanding protection against abrasions. It is coated with a wax finish which provides lasting water resistance and protection against abrasions and thorns.
The hip-length cut allows for easy access to a tool belt, and the jacket offers ample storage with snap-flap cargo pockets and hand pockets. The wool lining on the collar adds warmth and protection from cold winds.
However, it’s important to note that because this jacket uses a durable Tin Cloth fabric, it requires a break in period (can feel a bit stiff at first). It also requires periodic rewaxing for maximum water resistance.
Also, while it offers some insulation, this Filson work jacket is not built to handle sub-zero temperatures. Overall, the Filson Tin Cloth Work Jacket is a durable and weather-resistant option, but it’s important to consider these factors before making your decision.
What I Like About this Jacket: If you’re looking for a rugged, durable Filson work jacket, I think this is your best option. Filson actually offers many different types of Tin Cloth jackets, but this one is built specifically for work. These jackets are extremely durable and offer protection that many other types of jackets can’t match.
What I’d Change About This Jacket: If I could change something about this jacket I would add an internal phone pocket since there currently isn’t a great place to store a phone. I’d also add adjustment tabs at the waist so that the fit could be customizable.
Filson Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket
|Made in USA with 100% virgin wool||Can feel itchy without jacket liner|
|Wind resistant and breathable||Dry clean only|
|Insulates even when wet||Limited color options|
|Large front cargo pockets for storage||No waist adjustment tabs|
|Snap buttons for easy closure||No extra lining for colder climates|
The Mackinaw Wool Work Jacket is a great option for workwear due to its exceptional insulation and wind resistance. Crafted with 24-oz. Mackinaw Wool, this jacket provides warmth in some of the harshest weather conditions.
The wool’s natural fibers have a tight weave that blocks wind and effectively wicks moisture away. The jacket’s hip-length cut and functional pocket design make it practical for work, allowing easy access to tools and essentials.
The Mackinaw Wool Work Jacket’s rugged build, insulating properties, and ability to perform even when wet make it an ideal choice for those working in cold and demanding environments. This Filson work jacket is made in the USA using premium Mackinaw wool.
What I Like About this Jacket: I really like Filson wool jackets, especially the 24-ounce wool jackets. Filson’s premium Mackinaw Wool fibers can be bent and flexed 20,000 times without breaking. This is a comfortable jacket that provides warmth without the stiffness of typical work jackets. I like the snap buttons on this jacket which make the jacket easy to snap and unsnap even with work gloves on.
What I’d Change About This Jacket: I like storage pockets on the chest of a jacket instead of near the waist. I would like this jacket more if the storage pockets were on the chest and there were simple hand-warming pockets near the waist.
Filson Lined Denim Cruiser Jacket
|Made in the USA with heavy-duty raw denim||Dry clean only, requiring special care|
|Wool blend lining offers insulation||Limited color options (specific to the denim version)|
|Preshrunk raw denim develops unique fade pattern||Break-in period for optimal comfort|
|Multi-pocket design for convenient storage||Doesn’t pair well with tool belts|
|Snap-front closure for easy on/off||Pricier than some other options|
The Filson Lined Denim Cruiser Jacket is a rugged and versatile workwear option that combines the utility of a multi-pocket forestry jacket with the durability of mid-1800s gold rush denim. This jacket stands out with its fully lined interior, featuring a special wool blend that provides added warmth (warmest Filson jackets).
The preshrunk raw denim material ensures a unique fade and wear pattern over time, telling the story of its rugged use. The snap-front closure and adjustable cuffs offer convenience and flexibility. With a cotton corduroy-lined collar, this jacket not only delivers on functionality but also adds a touch of comfort.
This jacket finishes past the beltline, so it won’t pair easily with tool belts. Filson does offer a shorter version of this jacket (think trucker style) if you prefer your jacket to finish above the belt.
This Filson work jacket is made in the USA. Whether you’re working outdoors or seeking a durable and stylish jacket for everyday wear, this Filson jacket offers the ideal combination of toughness, warmth, and timeless style.
What I Like About this Jacket: I really like raw denim jacket because once they break in they are extremely comfortable. I like the chore-coat style of this jacket and the fact that it has numerous pockets and tool slots on the front of the jacket. I also like the snap buttons which make the jacket easy to snap and unsnap even with work gloves on.
What I’d Change About This Jacket: The cape style across the upper chest portion of this Filson work jacket is not my favorite style. I prefer just normal chest storage pockets without the protective cape.
Filson Seattle Wool Jac-Shirt
|Excellent warmth for a shirt jacket||Limited color options|
|Durable and long-lasting premium wool||Slightly scratchy fabric for some individuals|
|Versatile for various weather conditions||Limited pocket options|
|Perfect to layer under a heavy jacket||Requires dry cleaning|
|Relaxed fit for freedom of movement||Not built for extreme conditions|
The Filson Seattle Wool Jac-Shirt is a popular option for those looking for a work shirt jacket. Made from a blend of 80% virgin wool and 20% nylon, this jac-shirt offers excellent insulation and durability despite being much less bulky than most work jackets.
Its midweight fabric makes it suitable for various weather conditions, particularly in cool to mild temperatures. The Seattle Wool Jac-Shirt features a button-front closure, allowing for easy on/off and temperature regulation.
This Filson work jacket has two chest pockets for storing small tools or personal items. The straight-cut design and relaxed fit provide freedom of movement, making it ideal for tasks that require flexibility and range of motion. This jacket is made in the USA.
Whether you’re working outdoors, engaging in light to moderate physical activities, or simply need a dependable layer for transitional weather, this Seattle Wool Jac-Shirt offers the perfect balance of comfort, style, and functionality.
What I Like About this Jacket: I think this jacket is a great option if you are working in mild to moderate winter conditions and don’t want a heavyweight, bulky work jacket. It also works nicely as a layering piece under a heavy jacket for more extreme conditions. Easy to pack.
What I’d Change About This Jacket: I’d like to see a wider range of colorways offered for this jacket and I’d love to see a version of this jacket with snap buttons for easier on/off.
What to Consider When Buying a Filson Work Jacket
- Durability: Filson jackets are known for their exceptional durability, making them suitable for rugged work environments. I like Filson Tin Cloth Jackets because they are ultra-durable
- Weather Resistance: Determine if you need a jacket that offers water resistance or protection against harsh weather conditions. Wool is naturally water-resistant and Filson’s Tin Cloth jackets have wax coating for added water-resistance. Types of Filson waterproof jackets.
- Insulation/Lining: Do you need a jacket with insulation or lining to provide additional warmth in colder temperatures? Filson offers jackets with various lining options, such as wool, flannel, or synthetic materials, that provide insulation and help retain body heat. Consider the climate and working conditions you will be in to choose the appropriate level of insulation or lining that will keep you comfortable throughout your workday.
- Fit: Pay attention to the sizing and fit options available, as Filson work jackets may have varying fits, from roomier to more tailored styles. The length of the jacket will also vary. Filson offers many jacket that finish past the waist, but also offer their Cruiser jacket in shorter versions (think trucker style) that I have found to be a better option if you sit and operate machinery
- Layering Ability: If you require the flexibility to layer clothing underneath, ensure that the jacket has enough room to accommodate additional layers comfortably.
- Pocket Configuration: Many Filson work jacket have extra front-side storage pockets, with some jacket even having cargo pockets. Be sure the jacket’s pocket design and placement meets your storage needs for tools, equipment, or personal items.
- Collar & Cuff Features: Consider the presence of collar linings, adjustable cuffs, or other features that provide added comfort, protection, and functionality. Some Filson jackets allow you to attach a hood if needed.
- Maintenance: Many Filson work jackets require specific care instructions, such as dry cleaning or re-waxing, so consider the maintenance requirements and ensure they align with your preferences and lifestyle.