Unfortunately, there aren’t many choices for insulated moc toe boots. We will get into why that’s the case later, but if you need an insulated moc toe work boot for winter, your choices are limited. But, the good news is, you do have a few choices from well-known brands.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our choices for the best insulated moc toe boots:
- Twisted X Composite 400G Moc Toe Insulated Hiker Boot (click here to view)
- L.L. Bean Kangaroo Upland 200G Insulated Moc Toe Boots (click here to view)
- Irish Setter Wingshooter Waterproof 400G Upland Boots (click here to view)
- Golden Fox Leather Insulated Moc Toe Work Boots (click here to view)
- Lands’ End Men’s All Weather Leather Insulated Winter Boots (click here to view)
- King Rocks Moc Insulated Wedge Sole Work Boots (click here to view)
***Here’s my advice. If you want a quick understanding of what type of insulation may be best for your insulated moc toe boots, then watch my short 45 second video posted below that quickly explains what you need to know. Also, please subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the button below. Thanks!
Even though options are limited, it’s nice that a premium brand like Irish Setter has an insulated moc toe boot. Perhaps the most important decision is choosing the weight of insulation you want in your insulated work boots.
In this article we will take a closer look at these boots so you can decide which one might be best for you. Before we do that, I want to discuss why there are not a lot of insulated wedge boots on the market today.
Insulated Moc Toe Boot Options
If you prefer to wear a moc toe work boot even during the winter months, it’s nice to find a boot that has some insulation to help keep your feet warm. But why are there so few insulated moc toe work boots on the market today?
There are limited choices for winter moc toe boots because many moc toe work boots are paired with a wedge outsole. These wedge outsoles are generally used for smooth surfaces, many of which are indoors (like a factory floor).
And because a wedge sole is built more for comfort than traction, they don’t make for the best boots in snow, ice, and sleet.
Now, it’s important to emphasize that not all moc-toe boots are made with wedge outsoles. As you can see in our list, several options have more traditional outsoles, with a raised heel.
But nevertheless, because moc-toe boots often have wedge soles, you don’t see a lot of insulated moc toe boots.
Best Insulation Weight
Disclaimer: We cannot make guarantees about the temperature ratings of the boots mentioned in this article. Our recommendation is to contact the companies directly for more information. We also cannot make any guarantees about the suitability of these boots for your job. All jobs are different, and all boots are different.
Not all insulated work boots are the same, and they will provide varying degrees of warmth. The type, but especially the weight, of insulation used will greatly impact the warmth of a boot.
Many boot companies like to use 3M Thinsulate as an insulation. Another popular insulation in boots is Primaloft.
Almost all synthetic insulation is made to be very thin and lightweight, and excellent at trapping heat. Both Thinsulate and Primaloft are this way, but in my experience, Primaloft feels a bit fluffier.
Here’s a look at a pair of boots that I own that use 3M Thinsulate for insulation:
The least amount of Thinsulate you will see in a work boot is usually 200 grams. The first thing you will need to decide when shopping for an insulated moc toe work boot, is what weight of insulation do you need?
A work boot that has 200 grams of insulation is generally more of a mild winter boot. It won’t provide you warmth for severe conditions, but can provide adequate warmth for active jobs on mild to maybe even some moderate winter days.
If you work in severe conditions, you will likely need to go with a heavier insulation. The level of insulation you need depends on your climate, activity level, and personal comfort level.
And it’s important to remember, there are other factors in a work boot besides insulation that can affect warmth (are leather boots good for cold weather?).
As I said earlier, most companies do not assign a warmth rating to a boot for legal reasons, so trial and error may be what it takes to find a boot that fits your needs.
What I Wear
I personally use a lot of 400 gram insulated boots here in Kansas. That’s what fits my comfort level the best.
I also own some 200g boots that I will wear from time to time, but I mainly rely on 400 gram insulation:
Some jobs in the northern US will need something even beyond 400 grams.
Unfortunately, your options are somewhat limited when it comes to insulated moc toe boots. Our list includes two 400G boots (3M Thinsulate), one 200G boot (Primaloft), and two mild winter boots with a mesh lining.
In my experience, it is very difficult to find insulated moc toe work boots with insulation beyond 400G. If you need insulation of 600G+, visit our articles linked below:
Best Insulated Moc Toe Boots
Irish Setter Wingshooter Waterproof 400G Upland Boots
Irish Setter boots are owned by Red Wing Shoe Company, which has been making premium footwear since 1905. Red wing Shoe Company is based out of Red Wing, Minnesota.
Irish Setter has two very popular styles of moc-toe boots: the Ashby boot, and the Wingshooter boot. Unfortunately, the Irish Setter Ashby is not offered in an insulated version. But the Wingshooter is.
Here’s what these Irish Setter Insulated Wingshooter Boots look like:
This is the current price of these Irish Setter 8 inch work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these boots:
- Material – 100% leather uppers.
- Insulation – Yes, these boots are insulated. They have 400 grams 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation.
- Shaft Height – These are 9-inch boots that will fit up over the ankle for extra support.
- Waterproof – These boots have a moisture management lining to help keep your feet dry while you work. For more waterproof options, visit our article about the best waterproof moc toe boots.
- Soft Toe – These are soft toe boots. They do not have a safety toe.
Click here to buy these Irish Setter work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available for these boots.
Twisted X Composite Moc Toe Insulated Hiker Boot
Twisted X is a relatively new footwear brand (founded in 2005) that has seen its popularity grow quite rapidly due to some of their unique designs, and their commitment to prioritizing handmade boots.
They originally began creating only western boots, but have since expanded their line to offer both casual and work boots. They do offer an insulated moc toe boot.
Here’s what these Twisted X moc-toe boots look like:
This is the current price of these Twisted X insulated moc toe work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about these boots:
- Material – Full grain leather uppers.
- Insulation – Yes, these boots are insulated. They have 400 grams 3M Thinsulate Insulation.
- Shaft Height – These are 6-inch boots that will fit lower than the Irish Setter boots we discussed first.
- Waterproof – Yes, these boots have a waterproof liner. They also have removable footbeds.
- Safety Toe – These are not steel toe, but they do have a composite safety toe. If you need steel toe, visit our article about the best moc toe steel toe boots.
Click here to buy these Twisted X insulated work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Wide sizing is available for these boots.
L.L. Bean Men’s Kangaroo Upland Insulated Moc Toe Boots
L.L. Bean is a well-known name in outdoor performance and casual wear. They have a wide selection of clothing built for cold environments, including a pair of insulated moc toe boots.
Click here to view these boots at llbean.com (affiliate link). Here’s what you need to know about these boots:
- Material – Lightweight, durable leather uppers. Premium Vibram outsole.
- Insulation – Yes, these boots are insulated. They have 200 grams of Primaloft Insulation.
- Shaft Height – These are 8-inch boots that will fit up over the ankle for extra support. Lace garage helps keeps laces dry.
- Waterproof – These boots have a waterproof liner to help keep your feet dry while you work.
- Soft Toe – These are soft toe boots. They do not have a safety toe.
Please note that these boots us Primaloft instead of Thinsulate. As I mentioned earlier in the article, in my experience, these two types of insulation are very similar, only Primaloft felt fluffier.
This boot uses 200 grams of insulation. Although this can provide warmth for mild winter conditions, this should not be considered a boot capable of taking on extreme, dangerous winter conditions.
Golden Fox Leather Insulated Moc Toe Boots
Gold Fox has been making footwear since the 1970’s, and they make an insulated moc toe work boot that is a bit different than the other boots we’ve discussed so far. Here’s what these Golden Fox boots look like:
This is the current price of these Golden Fox Boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this boot:
- Lining – These boots have a mesh lining and a pig skin collar to help keep your feet warm in cold weather. These are best for mild conditions.
***These boots are built for more mild winter conditions. They will not be suitable for extreme environments. They do not have Thinsulate insulation. But they do have a mesh lining to provide some mild warmth to your foot.
- Material – The 6-inch boot sports a soft full-grain leather and a rubber sole. This is a moc toe work boot with a wedge outsole.
Click here to buy these Golden Fox work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Multiple colors are available for this work boot.
King Rocks Insulated Moc Toe Work Boots
King Rocks is actually another brand owned by Golden Fox, and just like the Golden Fox boots we discussed above, these are moc toe boots that do provide some warmth for winter.
Here’s what these King Rocks Moc Insulated Wedge Sole Work Boots look like:
This is the current price of these King Rocks insulated wedge work boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These boots have that traditional work boot style.
- Material – The upper features a pitstop water repellant full grain leather. Wedge outsole.
- Lining – Just like the Golden Fox boots, these King Rocks boots have a mesh lining that is more suitable for a mild winter climate. These boots aren’t built for severe winter conditions, but they will provide a little warmth.
- Construction – King Rock uses Goodyear welt construction to assemble the footwear.
Click here to buy these King Rocks Boots available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, these insulated moc toe boots will be best for more mild conditions.