In this article we are going to discuss the best double knee work pants. Having an extra layer of support over the knee is critical for those who work long hours on tough job sites, and spend at least some of their time working on their knees.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our choices for the best double knee work pants:
- Carhartt Firm Duck Double-Front Canvas Work Pants (click here to view)
- Filson Oil Finish Double Tin Work Pants (click here to view)
- 1620 Workwear Made in USA Double Knee Utility Pants (click here to view)
- Wrangler Riggs Workwear Men’s Ranger Pants (click here to view)
- Dickies Men’s Loose Fit Double Knee Work Pants (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Washed Duck Double Front Dungaree (click here to view)
- Caterpillar Men’s Trademark Cargo Pants (click here to view)
- Duluth Trading Co. DuluthFlex Fire Hose Relaxed Cargo Pants (click here to view)
- Wrangler ATG Men’s Reinforced Stretch Utility Pants (click here to view)
- Walls Ditchdigger Stretch Duck Work Pants (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Carhartt Original Fit Crawford Double Front Pants (click here to view)
This list contains a wide variety of work pants. The Carhartt B01 pants and the Filson Oil Finish work pants are built for the toughest environments.
But we also included pants like the Wrangler ATG Utility Pants that are more of a comfortable summer work pant. They won’t be as heavyweight as the other pants, but they do have reinforced double knees, which gives you a pair of flexible, comfortable work pants that still have a double knee.
Some double front pants will have a gusset to help improve comfort and range of motion.
In this article let’s take a closer look at these reinforced knee work pants so you can decide which pair of these work pants makes the most sense for you. For denim, visit our article about the best double knee jeans.
Best Work Pants with Reinforced Knees
Carhartt Double Knee Work Pants
Carhartt is a trusted name in workwear, and a brand that many workers prefer to wear. The good news for you if you need work pants with reinforced knees, Carhartt has several options.
If you’ve ever worn Carhartt pants or jackets before, you probably know they use a variety of duck cotton fabrics. Some are stiffer and more firm than others. There are 2 specific types of cotton canvas fabric I want to highlight in this article:
- Firm Duck Cotton – This is going to be a 12-ounce heavyweight cotton canvas. It will feel stiff and firm off the rack, and take time to loosen and break in. The firm material offers more protection on a work site, and more protection from the elements.
- Washed Duck Cotton – This is also a 12-ounce heavyweight cotton, but it is pre-washed to give it more of a broken-in feeling off the rack. This type of cotton won’t feel as stiff, but it also won’t give you as much protection as the firm cotton.
There are other types of fabrics that Carhartt will use, but understanding the difference between these two fabrics is important when choosing double knee work pants.
Carhartt has a popular pair of reinforced knee work pants that uses the firm cotton duck (B01 pants), and a popular pair of reinforced knee work pants that uses the pre-washed cotton duck (B136 pants). Let’s discuss these pants.
Carhartt Firm Duck Double-Front Canvas Work Pants (B01)
The Carhartt Firm Duck Double-Front Canvas Work Pants are a very popular pair of heavy duty double knee work pants. They come from a brand many workers are comfortable and familiar with, and even though Carhartt imports most of their pants, these pants (style B01) are still made here in the USA.
Here’s a look at me wearing the Carhartt B01 pants that I own:
This is the current price of these Carhartt B01 USA work pants available (affiliate link takes you to Dungarees.com). These pants are made with Carhartt’s firm cotton duck.
Here are some of the details for these Carhartt work pants:
- Double Knee – These pants do have a reinforced double knee to help them hold up over the long term.
- Knee Pad Pockets – These Carhartt pants have knee pad pockets in case you want to pair them with removable knee pad inserts.
- Heavyweight Build – These pants have a 12-ounce, 100% cotton firm heavyweight duck canvas which can stand up to a tough work site.
- Made in the USA – These B01 Carhartt pants are made in the USA.
- Relaxed Fit – These pants have a relaxed, loose fit that won’t hug tight against your legs, and gives you freedom of movement. This is Carhartt’s roomiest cut. To read more about fit, visit our article about Carhartt Pant Sizing.
- Pockets – These work pants have 2 front pockets, 2 back pockets, side utility pockets. They also have the knee pad pockets that we discussed earlier. Yes there is a hammer loop so these pants can function as canvas carpenter pants.
This is where you can buy these Carhartt B01 USA work pants (affiliate link takes you to Dungarees.com). Again, these pants have a loose, relaxed fit that in my experience runs true-to-size.
As I mentioned above, these Carhartt B01 pants use a firm cotton duck fabric. The firm duck is the toughest cotton canvas fabric that Carhartt offers. Here is an up-close look at the firm cotton duck:
Many workers looking for heavy duty work pants prefer a firm cotton because it adds some wind-resistance, and is tough enough to hold up at a work site.
But, as I’ve said, it is important to note that the firm duck will take a while to break in. This means the first handful of times you wear these B01 pants, they may feel a bit stiff.
Some people don’t like this stiff feeling, and so they try to skip the break-in period by buying a pair of pre-washed pants. Pants that are pre-washed have a more broken-in feeling on the first wear.
Carhartt Men’s Washed Duck Double Front Dungaree
Carhartt offers these double-front work pants in a pre-washed cotton as well. The style number for the pre-washed version is B136.
These pre-washed pants still use a heavyweight 12-ounce cotton canvas (just like the firm B01 pants), but because they are pre-washed, they have a broken-in feeling on the first wear.
Here’s what these pants look like:
This is the current price of these Carhartt B136 work pants available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, this washed version will be softer, but won’t offer quite the protection that the firm duck offers.
It’s also worth noting that even though these pants are very similar to the B01 pants, these B136 pre-washed pants are not made in the USA, and the B01 pants are.
Filson Oil Finish Double Tin Work Pants
Filson is a clothing company based in Seattle WA that has a deep-rooted tradition in providing heavy-duty dependable workwear. Their founder, C.C. Filson, opened shop in 1897 and, at that time, specialized in making ultra-tough, ultra-dependable clothing for stampeders heading north for the Klondike Gold Rush.
The Stampeders who marched north towards the Klondike region put their lives at risk in search of gold. The conditions in the Yukon were brutal. Winters were dark and devastatingly long.
The stampeders faced blinding snow storms, avalanches, hypothermia, towering terrain, malnutrition, disease, and all the other perils of wilderness. It is estimated that out of the 100,000 people who set out to stampede for gold, only 30,000 actually made it to the Klondike region.
Making clothes that could hold up in the sub-freezing wilderness meant C.C. Filson couldn’t cut corners, and had to emphasize toughness and dependability. And although the Klondike Gold Rush has long since passed, that tradition of toughness and dependability has carried over to Filson’s current collection of workwear.
Filson’s Oil Finish Double Tin Work Pants are what they describe as their “toughest pair of pants”. These pants are sill made here in the USA. Click here to view these Filson pants at Filson.com.
The oil finish gives these canvas work pants a premium toughness by making them water, wind, and abrasion resistant. The waxed canvas makes it very difficult to puncture these Filson work pants.
They have a double layer of material over the seat and thighs that stretches down over the knee to give you the extra reinforcement you need at the knee.
It’s worth noting that the oil finish means caring for these pants will be a bit different than normal work pants. The oil finish can affect light-colored clothing if they make contact for long periods of time in warm weather. But the the oil finish makes these pants extremely durable.
To be clear, (in my opinion) these Filson pants are the toughest and most durable work pants on this list. Ultimately I put the Carhartt B01 pants at the top spot because they will be easier to care for (they can be machine washed and dried), and may be closer to what more of you are looking for. But if you need the absolute toughest, I’d recommend these Filson pants.
The cool thing is if you like the Filson brand, but aren’t sure the oil finish will work well for you, they also makes work pants without the oil finish (called a “dry” finish). If you don’t want the oil finish, then check out The Filson Dry Tin Cloth Utility pants. They also have reinforced knees.
These Filson Dry Tin Cloth Work Pants are also ultra-tough, but because they don’t have the oil finish, they won’t be as resistant to abrasions as the other Filson pants. But the dry pants are machine washable.
Wrangler Double Knee Work Pants
Wrangler Riggs Workwear Men’s Ranger Pants
Many are familiar with Wrangler jeans, but Wrangler has a specific line of apparel dedicated to work clothing called Wrangler Riggs Workwear. The Wrangler Riggs Men’s Ranger Pants are very popular cargo work pants that have reinforced knees.
Here’s what these Wrangler Riggs Men’s Ranger Pants look like (multiple colors available):
This is the current price of these Wrangler work pants available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Expect these pants to fit true to size, and have a relaxed fit.
- Ripstop Fabric – These pants are made with a 100% cotton ripstop fabric to help prevent tears and rips. They also have reinforced knees for long-lasting durability. Ripstop pants are popular for lightweight toughness.
- Double Knee – These pants do have a double knee for durability.
- Cargo Pockets – These pants have standard cargo pockets on both legs. They also have very deep front pockets, and have reinforcement on the front right pocket so that it can handle a tape measure clip without wearing out. These also have a hammer loop.
- Roomy Fit – These pants have a relaxed fit that won’t hug tight against your legs. They also have a crotch gusset for easy bending, crouching, and driving.
These are the first pants on our list that are more of a cargo work pant. If you prefer cargo pants, and need cargo pockets to help store tools and essentials, these Wrangler Ranger pants give you a nice option that has reinforced knees.
Click here to buy these Wrangler Ranger Pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, expect a relaxed fit that runs true to size.
Wrangler ATG Men’s Reinforced Utility Pant
As we just discussed above, Wrangler has a specific line of workwear called Wrangler Riggs Workwear. But they have a second line of clothing, called ATG by Wrangler (stands for “All Terrain Gear”), which also can function well as work clothing.
The Wrangler ATG line puts an emphasis on outdoor performance-wear that is tough, yet easy to wear. These might be a good option for those of you who need the double knee, but prefer a flexible, more comfortable pant.
The Wrangler ATG Men’s Reinforced Utility Pant is a flexible work pant that is also great for summer. Here’s what these Wrangler ATG pants look like:
This is the current price of these Wrangler ATG Men’s Reinforced Utility Pants available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Expect these pants to fit true to size.
These pants are made with a cotton/spandex stretch canvas that makes them both durable, but easy to move around in. They also have a “comfortsoft waistband” and a gusseted crotch. The gusseted crotch gives you extra space while bending, crouching, and driving.
Yes, these pants have reinforced knees for extra durability. They won’t be as tough as the heavy canvas pants we covered at the top of the article, but these are a nice option for those of you who want some flexible and comfortable, but also need extra knee reinforcement.
These pants have a side zipper utility pocket, which gives you a safe place to store essentials. Another important detail about these pants is they make for great summer work pants. Not only do they provide UPF 30 sun protection, but they also wick away moisture and sweat to help keep you dry.
Click here to buy these Wrangler ATG pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These pants have a straight leg that fits true to size.
Caterpillar Men’s Trademark Pants
These Caterpillar Men’s Trademark Pants are heavy-duty work cargo pants that also have reinforced knees and knee pad pockets. This is a popular pair of work pants, for many reasons, but in large part due to the amount of storage pockets.
Here’s what these Caterpillar Trademark Pants look like (multiple colors available):
This is the current price of these Caterpillar work cargo pants available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Expect these pants to have a relaxed fit that runs true to size.
One thing that distinguishes these Caterpillar Trademark pants is they have two front pull-out holster tool pockets. These pockets can tuck away inside the normal front waist pockets when you don’t need them.
I like to call this type of work pant a “specialist” work pant. These pants include much more than just your basic pair of cargo work pants.
For some poeple, that extra detail is perfect and helps them perform their job at a higher level. For others, it may just be overkill and wasted bulk.
Ultimately, you will need to decide if the extra storage space and finer details of pants like this will actually help you perform your job at a higher level.
If you are someone who benefits from extra storage space, this is one of the most comprehensive work pants on the market today. They really provide a wide range of details that can help a wide range of workers.
These pants have knee reinforcement and knee pad pockets. They have hook and loop closures that help secure a tool belt.
These pants are made with an 8.8 ounce cotton/poly blend. They have a gusseted crotch for ease of movement.
- Fit – These pants have a standard fit that isn’t too loose or too tight. As we discussed above, the crotch is gusseted so you have freedom of movement. Expect a true-to-size fit.
Click here to buy these Caterpillar Pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, expect a true-to-size fit.
Dickies Men’s Loose Fit Double Knee Work Pants
Dickies is another well-known workwear brand. They specialize in making dependable work apparel for a wide range of jobs. Here’s what these Dickies Pants look like (multiple colors available):
This is the current price of these Dickies double knee pants available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Expect these pants to have a relaxed fit that runs true to size.
These pants are stain and wrinkle resistant, and have an industrial professional look. They work well as work pants for janitors, maintenance workers, mechanics, and other industrial trades.
These pants have a loose fit and won’t hug tight against your legs.
Duluth Trading Co. Flex Work Pants
Duluth Trading is a workwear brand established in 1989, but has really gained steam during the recent decade. One thing I personally like about Duluth is they put an emphasis on creating comfortable, easy-to-wear clothing that is still tough and dependable.
They have a lot of work pants, but there are two specific options that you’ll need to consider if you are looking for double knee work pants.
- Duluth Men’s DuluthFlex Fire Hose Ultimate Relaxed Fit Cargo Pants – Duluth “Fire Hose” pants put an emphasis on toughness, but these are also flex work pants, which gives you something that is both tough and dependable (they also have a crotch gusset). These pants have double knee pouches that do accept knee pad inserts. These are cargo pants, so you’ll have plenty of storage options. Water repellent finish. Relaxed fit. Click here to view these pants.
- Duluth Men’s DuluthFlex Fire Hose Relaxed Fit Double Knee Carpenter – These pants also have the “Fire Hose” toughness combined with the flexible “DuluthFlex” fabric, but these are carpenter pants, so the styling will be a bit different. They don’t have cargo pockets, but do have 7 total pockets, including several utility pockets. These pants also have a crotch gusset and double knee reinforcement. Knee pad compatible. Click here to view these pants.
Edgevale Men’s Cast Iron Utility Pant
Edgevale is a newer apparel company (established in 2013), and the cool thing about them is they offer a double knee work pant that are made here in the USA.
If you remember, the Carhartt B01 pants and the Filson pants at the top of the list are also made in the USA, but these Edgevale Pants give you a third option for double knee work pants made in the USA.
The truth is it is pretty hard to find work pants that are made in the USA. Most well-known brands outsource all of their production overseas. Certain brands like Filson, Edgevale, 1620USA, and others, have emphasized the need to keep productions of their work pants in the USA to ensure quality.
Edgevale’s Cast Iron Utility Pant is a strong work pant that does offer reinforcement over the knee. These pants have utility pockets on both the right and left leg.
These have a tapered fit below the knee for more of a modern look. But above the knee, they give you plenty of space to move around (they have a gusseted crotch). Click here to view these Edgevale utility pants at EdgevaleUSA.com.
Walls Ditchdigger Stretch Duck Work Pants
Walls is a well-known name in workwear and a brand that has a long history of producing high quality bibs, work pants, and work jackets. Their popular Ditchdigger pants come with reinforced knees and built-in knee pad pockets.
Click here to view these Walls Pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Expect these pants to fit true-to-size.
These Walls Ditchdigger pants have standard front and rear pockets, then have one side utility cell-phone pocket (and also, of course, have the knee pad pockets). Overall, these pants aren’t as bulky as some of the other pants on this list.
These pants are made with a cotton/spandex blend, which means they will have some stretch to them. This stretch fabric will help while you are bending, stooping, and working on your knees.
- Fit – These pants have a standard relaxed fit that isn’t too loose or too tight. The crotch is gusseted so you have freedom of movement. Expect a true-to-size fit.
Click here to buy these Walls Pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, expect a true-to-size fit.