It seems like the majority of winter work jackets on the market today have attached hoods. If you don’t want an attached hood and are shopping for Carhartt trucker jackets, I personally like the Carhartt Detroit Jacket. It is blanket lined for warmth and has a durable duck cotton canvas shell that can stand up to tough elements.
*This page contains paid affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
Here are my recommendations for the best Carhartt Trucker Jackets:
- Carhartt Men’s Detroit Blanket Lined Canvas Jacket (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Sherpa-Lined Bartlett Jacket (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Lightweight Crowley Jacket (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Full Swing Fleece-Lined Armstrong Jacket (click here to view)
- Carhartt Men’s Quick Duck Jefferson Traditional Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Carhartt Benson Denim Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Carhartt Crawford Bomber Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Carhartt Weathered Duck Wildwood Jacket (click here to view)
Carhartt canvas jackets are very durable, but they take a little bit of time to break in. If you want more of a softshell jacket, then I’d recommend the Carhartt Crowley Jacket linked in the list above. And if you want a canvas jacket, but want to skip the break in period, Carhartt’s Quick Duck fabric uses a fabric blend to create a durable canvas shell that isn’t stiff.
Although trucker jackets don’t have an attached hood, some of the jackets linked above (for example, the Carhartt Detroit Jacket) come with snaps under the collar so that a hood can be attached if needed. If you would prefer an attached hood, visit our article about the best hooded canvas jackets.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best Carhartt trucker jackets so you can find an option that fits your specific needs. Let’s also discuss the different types of Carhartt outer shell fabrics, and how they differ. If you want to do a deeper dive on all types of Carhartt jackets, visit my article about the best Carhartt winter jackets.
Best Carhartt Trucker Jackets
Carhartt Blanket Lined Detroit Jacket
If you are searching for a Carhartt trucker jacket, as I mentioned above, Carhartt currently does not offer a jacket that is named a “trucker” jacket, but several of their jackets do have that trucker style. I think this Carhartt Detroit jacket is the best trucker-style jacket that they offer.
This is a rugged casual jacket with a warm blanket lining that can be worn both on and off the clock. Although it has been around for many years, it has gained popularity in recent years because it was the jacket that Matthew McConaughey wore in the movie Interstellar (source).
I’ve worn this jacket for several years – here’s what mine looks like:
This is the current price of this Carhartt Detroit Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Canvas Shell – This jacket uses a canvas shell. My jacket has a 12-ounce duck cotton canvas outer shell. I’ve also seen this jacket available in a weathered duck canvas version, which also uses the blanket lining. Click here to view the weathered duck version of this jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Blanket Lining – This Carhartt trucker jacket uses a blanket lining. Carhartt does not temperature rate their products, but in my experience, this Carhartt blanket lining can handle moderate winter conditions that I experience here in Kansas. Here’s a close-up of the lining on my jacket:
- Design – Yes, this Carhartt Detroit Jacket has a sort of trucker style that finishes near the waist. This jacket does not have a cuffed waist and does not come with an attached hood. My jacket does have snaps under the collar where a hood can be attached. It is a full-front zip and has a corduroy collar.
- Pockets – My jacket has two hand-warmer pockets on the outside, and one external zip-close chest pocket. There are also two pockets on the inside, including a zip-close internal pocket which gives me a safe place to store essentials out of the weather.
If you are searching for a Carhartt trucker-style jacket that does not have an attached hood, in my experience, this is the best option you will find. If you are looking for more of a lightweight trucker-style jacket, the Carhartt Crowley jacket we discuss next might be your best option.
Click here to buy this Carhartt Detroit Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This Carhartt Detroit jacket has a relaxed fit and in my experience fits true to size (how Carhartt jackets fit).
Carhartt Men’s Lightweight Crowley Jacket
Looking for a Carhartt trucker jacket you can wear in mild temperatures? If so, this lightweight Carhartt Crowley Jacket might be your best option. It is a full-front zip and has a mock-neck collar with no attached hood.
Here’s what my Carhartt Crowley Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Carhartt Crowley Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Shell Fabric – This jacket does not use a duck canvas shell. It is what I would describe as a softshell fabric that is very comfortable to wear. Because this jacket does not use a heavy shell and thick lining, the overall weight of the jacket is much less than other work jackets. My size medium weighs just over 2 pounds:
Lining – As I mentioned earlier, this jacket is built for more mild temperatures. This is not a thick winter jacket. I find it to be perfect for fall/spring temperatures. It’s a jacket that you can just keep by the door and wear practically anywhere. Mine does have what I believe is a lightweight fleece lining that offers mild warmth:
Water-Repellent – The outer shell of this jacket is water-repellent, which is another reason I like to use this in the spring and fall. It’s also designed to be wind-resistant, but again, don’t expect this jacket to take on brutal winter temperatures. Here’s a look at the shell:
- Pockets – Another thing I like about this jacket is it has a lot of zip-close pockets, including the hand-warmer pockets. This gives me plenty of room to safely store essential to protect them from the elements.
Click here to buy this Carhartt Crowley Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, if you are looking for a lightweight Carhartt trucker jacket, I think this is your best option. In my experience, it fits true to size. Read more by visiting our Carhartt Crowley Jacket Review.
Carhartt Men’s Full Swing Armstrong Jacket
If you are looking for a Carhartt Trucker Jacket to wear during active work, then I would recommend Carhartt’s line of “Full Swing” jackets that use stretch panel gussets to open up freedom of movement through the shoulders and arms.
This is what the Carhartt Men’s Full Swing Armstrong Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Carhartt Armstrong Jacket (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – A heavyweight, 12-Ounce 100% ring-spun washed cotton duck gives this jacket durability that lasts. It has a corduroy-trimmed collar and internal rib-knit storm cuffs.
- Full Swing – This is a Carhartt Full Swing Jacket, which means it uses gusset panels to add range of motion. There is a stretch panel between the shoulders for increased ability to use your arms. Additionally, there is more room to bend in the elbows and stretch panels under the arms. Here’s a look at the panels on my Carhartt full swing jacket:
- Type of Lining – This jacket features a warm, 100% polyester fleece lining. A full front zipper closure with inner storm flap gives extra protection from the elements. Everything is reinforced by triple-stitched main seams.
- Pockets – There are a total of four pockets. One left chest pocket with zipper and two lower front pockets as well as an interior pocket.
Click here to buy this Carhartt Trucker Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Again, if you are a person who needs freedom of movement on the job, this might be your best option due to those gusset panels. To read about more options, visit our article about the best bi-swing back jackets.
Other Carhartt Trucker Jackets to Consider
- Carhartt Men’s Quick Duck Jefferson Traditional Jacket – This jacket uses Carhartt’s Quick Duck outer-shell fabric, which is a flexible (but still durable) material blend duck canvas. This jacket is lightweight and easy to move around in. Quilted-nylon lining for medium-warmth. Click here to view this Carhartt Jefferson trucker-style jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- *Women’s* Carhartt Benson Denim Jacket – If you are shopping for a women’s Carhartt trucker jacket that is made of denim, this will be your best option. This jacket has a button-front design and has a small bit of spandex incorporated into the denim to give this jacket some stretch. This jacket has a four-pocket front for plenty of storage space. Click here to view this Carhartt Benson Jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- *Women’s* Carhartt Women’s Crawford Bomber Jacket – Bomber jackets may not be exactly like trucker jackets, but there are some similarities. This Carhartt Women’s Crawford Bomber is made with a cotton/spandex outer shell that has some stretch to it. It does not have thick insulation, so will be best used as a mild winter jacket. Click here to view this women’s Carhartt bomber jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- *Women’s Hooded* Carhartt Weathered Duck Wildwood Jacket – If you are looking for a women’s Carhartt trucker-style jacket that has an optional hood, this will be a nice option. The hood is detachable, and the jacket itself has a style very similar to trucker jackets. It has a cuffed waist and cuffed sleeves, with a zip-front design that isn’t too loose through the shoulders. This jacket is Sherpa lined for winter warmth. Click here to view this Carhartt women’s jacket at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Carhartt Trucker Jackets
The firm canvas shells that Carhartt is known for not only offer extra abrasion resistance on the job, some of the shells also give you added weather protection (best Carhartt duck canvas jackets). In my experience, the firm cotton duck canvas shells help repel light precipitation. No, they won’t keep out a monsoon, but it will repel light precipitation and snow. The moisture balls up on the outside of my jacket:
Don’t think of a canvas jacket as a rain jacket. If you stand out in a pouring rain storm, the jacket will eventually take on water. But this added weather protection is nice during those brutally cold winter months.
If you want a trucker jacket that is water-repellent, visit our article about the best wool trucker jackets.
There are a wide variety of linings used in Carhartt jackets. Unfortunately, when all the linings are named something that sounds warm (thermal, fleece, blanket, flannel, sherpa, etc.) it can make it a bit difficult to understand which jackets are warmer than others.
Carhartt does not temperature rate their jackets, and I certainly cannot either. But I have had experience with all the linings, and this is my opinion on how they rank regarding warmth. Just for reference, I would consider the thermal lining something I’d wear on a mild winter day:
Understanding the linings involved with these Carhartt trucker-style jackets is probably one of the most important parts to buying Carhartt jackets. But please understand that there is more that goes into the warmth of a Carhartt trucker jacket besides the lining (for example, the weight and type of outer shell fabric also matters).
If you want to learn more about this, I would recommend visiting our article about the warmest Carhartt work jackets for winter. In my experience, the Carhartt J140 and Carhartt 104458 are the warmest Carhartt jackets.
None of the options on our list are shirt jackets, but certain types of shirt jackets have a sort of trucker style. Carhartt does make canvas shirt jackets in case you want a durable fabric that can be worn in more mild conditions.
For more options, visit our article about the best lined shirt jackets for work. If you prefer a trucker jacket, but want something a little more casual, visit our article about the best corduroy trucker jackets.
How many pockets do you need? Most Carhartt work jackets have front hand-warmer pockets, and some sort of internal chest pockets. I prefer work jackets that have a zip internal pocket that gives me a safe place to store essentials like my phone, wallet, and keys.
Here’s a look at the zip internal pocket on my Carhartt Detroit Jacket. It has two hand-warmer pockets, an external zip chest pocket, and two internal pockets, including one zip pocket:
The only drawback to wearing a Carhartt trucker jacket is none of the options have a cuffed waist. Not only does a cuffed waist help trap in heat, it also makes the jacket easier to pair with a tool belt.
As you can see above, my Carhartt J140 flannel lined canvas jacket has a cuffed waist, which gives it a sort of bomber style. To read more about these types of jackets, and others, visit our article about the best Carhartt bomber jackets.