*This page contains paid affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
In this article we compare Levi’s 505 vs 511 jeans. You can expect the 505 jeans to have a looser fit than the 511 jeans. The 511 jeans are a slim cut and the 505 jeans are a straight cut.
If you prefer slim jeans, these are your best Levi options:
- Levi’s 512 Jeans – Slim Taper Fit – (click here to view)
- Levi’s 511 Jeans – Slim Fit – (click here to view)
- Levi’s 513 Jeans – Slim Straight Fit – (click here to view)
- Levi’s 527 Jeans – Slim Bootcut Fit – (click here to view)
If you prefer a looser, straight fit, these are your best Levi options:
- Levi 501 Jeans – Original Fit Straight Leg – (click here to view)
- Levi 514 Jeans – Classic Straight Fit – (click here to view)
- Levi 505 Jeans – Regular Fit Straight Leg – (click here to view)
- Levi 559 Jeans – Relaxed Straight Fit (click here to view)
As I said at the top, you can expect the 511 jeans to have a slimmer fit in the legs than the 505 jeans. Here is a look at a pair of my 511 jeans sitting on top of a pair of my 505 jeans. As you can see, the 511 jeans have a much slimmer cut:
The 511 jeans have a slim leg opening of 14.5 inches:
The 505 jeans have a straight leg opening of 16 inches, and will fit looser near the ankle than the 511:
In this article we are going to focus specifically on comparing the 511 vs 505 Levi jeans. I will use real photos of the jeans that I own (I own both the 511 and 505). I actually wear the 511 quite a bit and have owned several different pairs of 511 jeans over the years.
What is the difference between the Levi’s 505 vs 511?
The difference between the Levi’s 505 and 511 is the 505 jeans have a straight cut with a 16″ leg opening and the 511 jeans have a slim cut with a 14.5″ leg opening. Although the 511 jeans don’t fit skin tight, if you prefer a looser fit, you will want to go with the 505 jeans over the 511 jeans. And likewise, if you prefer a tighter fit, you will want to go with the 511 jeans.
|Sits||Below Waist||Sits at Waist|
Levi’s 505 vs 511 Fit
As we discussed above, there is a significant difference in fit between the 505 and the 511 Levi jeans. The 511 is a slim cut from the hip through the ankle, and is the better choice for men looking for a tighter fit.
Although the 505 jeans are a looser cut in comparison to the 511 jeans, don’t think of the 505 jeans as baggy jeans. They are straight cut with a little extra room in the thighs. They are sort of that in-between cut where they aren’t too tight or too loose. They will show some shape, but won’t hug your legs like skinny jeans.
Choosing between these two styles is going to come down to whether or not you want that tighter fit, or a looser fit. If you prefer the tighter fit, then the 511 jeans will be the better choice for you, but you might also consider the 513 jeans which are a slim straight cut.
If you want a looser fit, you will want to choose the 505 jeans. I would also recommend considering the 514 straight-cut jeans which are quite similar to the 505 jeans and give you another style to choose from.
- Levi’s 511 Jeans – Slim from hip through ankle:
- Levi’s 505 Jeans – Regular straight cut through ankle:
Here is a look at a pair of my 511 jeans sitting on top of a pair of my 505 jeans. As you can see, the 511 jeans have a much slimmer cut:
***This article is property of workwearcommand.com***
What size to order?
In my experience, both the 511 and 505 jeans have a true-to-size fit, meaning the waist and the length was what I expected. As I mentioned earlier, I wear the 511 jeans a lot and have owned several pairs over the years. I think only once did I feel like the waist was a bit too tight. My recommendation is to order your normal sizing.
The leg opening in the 511 vs the 505 jeans is one of the most significant differences in these jeans. As we discussed above, the 511 jeans have a slim cut from the hips through the ankle. They also have a slim leg opening of only 14.5 inches.
The 505 jeans have the straight cut and therefore have a wider leg opening than the 511 jeans. The 505 jeans have a 16 inch leg opening. Here is a look at my 511 jeans and my 505 jeans so you can see the difference in leg opening size:
- Levi’s 511 Jeans – 14.5″ leg opening:
- Levi’s 505 Jeans – 16″ leg opening:
Here is a look at a pair of my 511 jeans sitting on top of a pair of my 505 jeans. As you can see, the 511 jeans have a much slimmer leg opening:
Levi’s 505 vs 511 Pictures
Other Options to Consider Besides the 511 and 505 Jeans
- Levi’s 501 Jeans – The 501 jeans have a regular cut through the thigh, and a straight cut below the knee. Very similar to the 505 jeans, but they show a bit more shape through the thighs.
- Levi’s 513 Jeans – The 513’s are a sort of hybrid between the 511 and the 505 jeans. Slim hips and thighs combined with a straight cut below knee.
- Calvin Klein Men’s Slim Straight Jeans – These slim straight jeans by Calvin Klein will give you a slim fit in the thighs with a straight fit below the knee.
- J.Crew Men’s Slim-fit Stretch Jean – Similar to the Levi’s 513 jeans. Slim cut jeans (made by J. Crew) that has a stretch material with a traditional look.