*This page contains paid affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
This article is a comparison of Levi’s 501 vs 514 jeans (using photos). The 514 jeans have a much looser fit than the 501 jeans, especially through the thighs.
If you are interested in straight fit Levi jeans, you should consider these options:
- Levi 501 Jeans – Original Fit Straight Leg – (click here to view)
- Levi 514 Jeans – Classic Straight Fit – (click here to view)
- Levi 505 Jeans – Regular Fit Straight Leg – (click here to view)
- Levi 513 Jeans – Slim Straight Fit – (click here to view)
- Levi 559 Jeans – Relaxed Straight Fit (click here to view)
Although the 501 jeans and 514 jeans are both listed as a straight fit, I found there to be a significant difference in how these jeans fit. The 501 jeans have a tighter fit through the thighs.
As you can see below, my 501 jeans are sitting on top of my 514 jeans, and the 514 jeans have more space in the thighs:
Below are photos of me wearing both of these jeans. As you can see, the 514 jeans have a looser fit, especially around the thigh and knee area. Although I would not describe the 501 as a slim fit, it definitely fits tighter than the 514.
- Levi’s 501 Original Jeans – This is one of Levi’s most iconic styles. The 501 jeans have a regular cut through the thigh, and a straight cut below the knee. We will review these jeans in this article. Click here to view these jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Levi’s 514 Men’s Jeans – These jeans have a classic straight cut that is a bit baggier than the 501. These jeans will not hug your legs. We review these jeans in this article. Click here to view these jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
In this article we are going to focus specifically on comparing the 501 vs 514 Levi jeans using real photos. Below, we will begin our comparison by discussing the difference in fit between the 501 and 514 jeans.
What size to order?
In my experience, both the 501 and 514 jeans have a true-to-size fit, meaning the waist and the length was what I expected. My recommendation is to stick to your normal sizing when ordering these jeans.
Levi’s 501 vs 514 Fit
What is the difference between the Levi’s 501 and 514?
|Sits||Sits at Waist||Below Waist|
Although both of these styles are described by Levi as a “regular fit in the thighs and straight fit below the knee”, in my experience the 501 jeans have a slightly slimmer leg than the 514 jeans.
The 501 jeans are not what I would call slim jeans, but they are a bit slimmer than the 514’s. Here is a look at my 501 jeans sitting on top of my 514 jeans:
As you can see, the 501 jeans have a slimmer leg both in the thigh and below the knee in comparison to the 514 jeans. It’s also important to note that the 501 jeans are built to sit at the waist, but the 514 jeans are built to sit just below the waist.
The 501 jean’s leg opening is also smaller than the leg opening of the 514 jeans – the 501 jeans have a 16″ leg opening compared to a 16.5″ leg opening for the 514 jeans (more on that later).
The 501 jeans have the classic button fly, so do not expect a zip fly on the 501 jeans. The 514 jeans have a standard zip fly with a button closure.
Here is a look at the fly of the 501 (button) vs 514 (zip):
As mentioned previously, the leg opening in the 501 vs 514 is a bit different. The 501 jeans have the smaller leg opening.
- Levi’s 501 Jeans – 16″ Leg Opening
- Levi’s 514 Jeans – 16.5″ Leg Opening
This obviously might have an impact on which style you prefer. Both leg openings fit with a wide variety of footwear, but if you will be pairing these jeans with large work boots, the larger leg opening on the 514 jeans might help.
Overall, the difference between the leg opening isn’t severe and if you plan to wear these jeans mainly with sneakers, both leg openings will work just fine.
Levi’s 501 vs 514 Pictures
Other Options Besides 501 and 514
- If you prefer a slimmer fit, as we have discussed, the 501 jeans will be the better option for you (in comparison to the 514’s). If you want to consider something even slimmer, you will want to check out Levi’s 513 jeans. The 513’s have a slim-straight fit – they are slim through the hips and thighs, and straight below the knee. Click here to view these jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- If you want a relaxed fit that doesn’t hug your legs in any way, then between the 501 and 514 jeans you will probably lean towards the 514’s. If you are concerned that even the 514’s might not be relaxed enough, then I would recommend trying Levi’s 569 Loose Straight jeans. The 569’s have a roomy feel with extra room in the seat and thigh so that your legs have space to breathe. Click here to view the 569 jeans and to check out their fit (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- If you are needing bootcut jeans that pair easily with work boots for the job, I would recommend checking out the Levi 527 Jeans. The 527 jeans have the bootcut leg opening. This style is offered in stretch material which makes them very comfortable to work in. Click here to view the 527 Slim Bootcut Jeans (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Levi’s 505 Men’s Jeans – The 505 jeans are very similar to the 514 jeans. If you are debating 501 vs 514, you will also want to consider 505. It is sort of a hybrid between 501 and 514 in my opinion. Click here to view these jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Levi’s 541 Men’s Jeans – The 541 jeans are comparable to the 514 jeans in that both jeans have a fit that doesn’t hug your legs in any way, but still can show a bit of shape so they don’t look too baggy. Click here to view these jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Where to Buy the 501 and 514 Jeans?
Click here to buy the Levi 501 jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). These are classic straight jeans, that will show some shape in the thighs. Runs true to size.
Click here to buy the Levi 514 jeans at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Straight fit that in my experience fits a bit looser than the 501 jeans. Runs true to size.