*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
Most types of Carhartt hoodies fit true to size with a relaxed fit that provides enough space to move and function comfortably on the job. Below is a list of some of the most popular types of Carhartt hoodies, and how they fit:
- Carhartt Rain Defender Paxton Heavyweight Hooded Sweatshirt – Pullover, heavyweight, warm hoodie that also has a water-repellent finish. Perfect for those cool, drizzly fall/spring days. Spandex-reinforced cuffs to keep cold out. Drawstring hood. This hoodie has a relaxed fit that I found to fit a little bit looser than other Carhartt hoodies, but I recommend ordering your normal sizing. Click here to view this heavyweight hoodie at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Carhartt Midweight Hooded Sweatshirt – This is more of your typical, standard hoodie. This is my favorite Carhartt hoodie. It is a mid-weight that gives you something to wear in the spring and fall and to layer under a work jacket in the winter. Standard, true-to-size fit. Rib-knit cuffs with front hand-warmer pocket. Draw-string hood. Click here to view this Carhartt midweight hoodie at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Carhartt Zip Front Mid-weight Hooded Sweatshirt – Same mid-weight build as the option listed above this one, but this is a full-front zip instead of a pullover. Hand-warmer pockets with pull-string hood. Cotton/Poly blend fabric. Cuffed waist can pair easily with tool belt. Standard fit that runs a touch big but I do not recommend sizing down. Click here to view this Carhartt midweight hoodie at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Carhartt Sherpa Lined Rain Defender Hooded Sweatshirt – This is the most versatile Carhartt hoodie in my opinion. It is a sherpa lined zip-front hoodie that also has a water repellent finish to keep you dry. One of the warmest hoodies you can buy. Cotton/Poly outer fabric. Hand-warmer pockets with drawstring hood. Like many Carhartt hoodies, this hoodie has a loose, relaxed fit. Click here to view this Carhartt insulated hoodie (paid affiliate link takes you to Carhartt.com).
- Carhartt Women’s Mid-weight Pullover – This is probably Carhartt’s most popular type of women’s hoodie. It is made with a 10.5 ounce midweight cotton/poly fabric blend and has a relaxed fit design. Click here to view this Carhartt women’s midweight hoodie at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
If you want a better understanding of Carhartt hoodies and how they differ, you can watch my video posted below. If you like the video, please subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the button below. Thanks!
In this article let’s take a closer look at how some of the popular Carhartt hoodies fit, using photos of the hoodies I own. In my experience, most Carhartt hoodies have a standard fit, maybe running a touch big. I have not encountered a Carhartt hoodie that I felt was too small.
How Do Carhartt Hoodies Fit?
In general, Carhartt hoodies run true to size, but have a bit of extra room built in. This is consistent with how Carhartt sizes most of their tops (both jackets and hoodies). They are sized a bit big so that you have room to layer underneath if needed, and so that you have plenty of space inside the garment to move around and function.
The last thing you want and need is a hoodie that is too tight and restricts your movement on the job site. Let’s take a look at two of the most popular hoodie types: the Carhartt Mid-weight Pullover and the Carhartt Rain-Defender Heavyweight Pullover.
Carhartt Pullover Mid-weight Hooded Sweatshirt
The Carhartt mid-weight hoodie is perfect for you if you are just looking for a standard pullover hoodie that can shield you from temperature fluctuations throughout the day. This is my go-to work hoodie.
It has the front hand-warmer pockets and a drawstring hood. The waist is cuffed which makes it easy to pair with a tool belt.
In my opinion, this Carhartt hoodie has the truest sizing out of all their hoodies. It is a standard, true-to-size fit. Below are pictures of me wearing a size medium. I am 6’2″ 200 pounds. For reference, here first is a picture of me wearing a size medium t-shirt:
Here I am wearing a size medium Carhartt mid-weight pullover hoodie (Style #K121):
As you can see, it has a standard true-to-size fit.
As far as performance, this hoodie is exactly what it needs to be. It is a basic mid-weight hoodie that gives you some warmth, but not so much that you will sweat out of it on the cool spring days. This hoodie is perfect for your first layer that you use when the fall months start to turn a bit cool.
It also functions as a layer you can use under a winter work jacket. The hoodie is made of a cotton/poly blend, and has Carhartt’s signature triple-stitched main seams so that you can trust it to hold up over the long-haul at a work site.
It has a very easy feeling to it. Comfortable to wear, and not heavy at all against your shoulders or arms. My size medium weighs 1.62 pounds.
Carhartt Rain Defender Paxton Heavyweight Hooded Sweatshirt
This is a warmer, closer-to-winter option. Carhartt’s heavyweight rain defender hoodie is a popular piece of workwear because it can give you warmth and protection against those cool drizzly, rainy days. It is also a great base layer for winter snow storms.
This heavyweight hoodie is (obviously) a bit thicker than the mid-weight hoodie, and can provide you more warmth and protection from the elements.
This is a water repellent hoodie, which means it will repel light precipitation, but don’t expect it to fight off a monsoon.
This hoodie runs a bit bigger than the mid-weight hoodie pictured above, but I still did not need to size down. I would recommend ordering your normal sizing. Here’s a look at me wearing a size medium (style #100615):
As you can see, it runs a touch big, but honestly the built-in sizing helps for freedom of movement. It also just makes it very easy to slide this hoodie over the top of your clothes.
Regarding performance, this hoodie is perfect for you if you are looking for a warmer hoodie that can provide some warmth on its own, but also function as a warm layer underneath a winter work jacket. This hoodie does also have the Carhartt signature triple-stitched main seams.
It is very comfortable to wear and is easy on the shoulders and neck area and does not restrict my movements. My size medium weighs 1.98 pounds:
Carhartt Hoodie Sizing Conclusion
As I mentioned earlier, I personally like the Carhartt Midweight Hoodie the best. It is just perfect for those cool spring and fall days, and also works as an awesome base layer. In my experience, it fits true to size.
In general, Most types of Carhartt hoodies fit true to size with a relaxed fit that provides enough space to move and function comfortably on the job.
Carhartt gives you several options for hoodies depending on what type of style and warmth you want. It’s hard for me to know exactly what you personally are looking for, but I feel like the Carhartt mid-weight pullover hoodie featured above (style #K121) is one of those hoodies that should just be a staple in every worker’s closet.
It’s the first layer you turn to when the weather starts to turn cool in the early fall months. It is perfect to keep in your truck for those days where the weather unexpectedly shifts.