In this article we are going to compare the popular Dickies 874 work pants vs Carhartt’s most popular pairs of work pants.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
Before we start, if you are shopping for work pants, and can’t decide between Dickies or Carhartt, here’s what you need to know about some of their most popular options:
- Carhartt Relaxed-Fit Washed Twill Dungaree Pant – Carpenter-style utility work pants with a standard, relaxed fit. Utility pocket for extra storage and reinforced belt loops for extra support. Size up the waist. Length is true to size. Click here to view these pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Carhartt Rugged Relaxed-Fit Work Khaki Pant – Versatile pants that fit in both at the office and at a work site. Not too baggy or too tight. 100% cotton. Perfect for those who spend part of the day in the office and part of the day at a work site. Click here to view these pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Dickies Original 874 Work Pants – These pants have a relaxed, regular cut. Durable fabric (non-stretch). They do run a bit small in the waist. I had to size the waist up one size. The length runs true-to-size. These are the pants we feature in this article. Click here to view these pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Dickies Regular-Straight Stretch Cargo Pant – Straight cut cargo pants with stretch fabric for comfort. Moisture wicking and wrinkle-resistant. These pants have a true-to-size fit. Click here to view these pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Comparing the Dickies 874 vs Carhartt work pants comes down to 2 main issues that we are going to cover in this article:
It is important to note that the Dickies 874 work pant comes in two different fabrics. The 874 Original (which isn’t a stretch fabric) and the 874 Flex (which is a stretch fabric).
Dickies 874 vs Carhartt Pants
The Dickies 874 work pants have a relaxed, regular cut. They aren’t too baggy or too tight. Do not expect these pants to hug your thighs, but also do not expect these pants to be so loose that you don’t show any figure.
If you want to read more about the size and fit of the 874 pants, visit our article Dickies 874 Sizing, but in general, expect the 874 pants to run small in the waist (I had to size up) but true-to-size in length. The 874 flex pants don’t run quite as snug in the waist (due to the flex material), but sizing up may still be necessary.
Click here to buy the Dickies 874 pants at Amazon (affiliate links takes you to Amazon.com). Dickies offers several other types of work pants besides the 874’s. They offer anything from a slim fit to a loose fit if you’d prefer to shop around. Carhartt also offers a wide range of fits so that you can find what works best for you.
In my opinion, the Carhartt pants that have the most similar fit in comparison to the Dickies 874 pants are the Carhartt Relaxed Fit Dungaree Pants, pictured here:
These Carhartt Relaxed Fit Dungaree Pants also run a bit small in the waist and I had to size up. Click here to view the price of these Carhartt pants at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Here are 3 other types of Carhartt work pants that fit similarly to the Dickies 874:
- Carhartt Rugged Flex Rigby Dungaree
- Carhartt Rugged Professional Series Relaxed-Fit pant
- Carhartt Rugged Relaxed-Fit Work Khaki Pant
Here is a look at the Carhartt Rugged Relaxed-Fit Work Khaki Pant:
***If you want to read further about Carhartt pant sizing and fit, visit our article How Do Carhartt Pants Fit?
Functionality and Quality
The Dickies 874 pants are offered in two different types of material: original and flex. You can expect the original material to have a bit more durability and the flex material to have a bit more comfort. Which one makes more sense for you will come down to whether you want a little more toughness in the material (Original) or a little more stretch and comfort while working (Flex).
I own the Original 874 style, which has a durable feel to it. I wouldn’t call it stiff, but it certainly isn’t a flex material. The toughness is appreciated though, and if you will be working on a job site, the tough fabric may be needed. Here is a look at the 874 Original fabric (65% Polyester, 35% Cotton):
As you can see, these Dickies 874 pants have the hook-and-eye closure at the waist instead of a button (it holds up fine). This material is both wrinkle-resistant and stain-resistant.
I own both the Carhartt Relaxed Fit Dungaree Pant and the Carhartt Rugged Relaxed-Fit Work Khaki Pant. As I mentioned above, the Carhartt Khaki Pants are great work pants because they are versatile – they don’t really look out of place anywhere. You can wear them both in an office or at a job site.
As we discussed earlier in the article, in general, Carhartt pants are more expensive than Dickies pants. Carhartt is considered by many to be the most premium workwear brand on the market. Of course, as I said, both of these brands are well-established brands that can be trusted.
But if you prefer to pay up for a premium pair of work pants, it may be best to stick with Carhartt. Again, the Dickies 874 pants are more than acceptable work pants (and many people actually prefer them as the best work pants available), but in my opinion, the Carhartt brand is the most dependable brand in workwear, and paying up for premium workwear is never a bad idea.
Carhartt offers a wide range of pants, including jeans, work dungarees, and khakis (with both original material and flex material). In fact, that is a strength of both of these companies in that they offer a wide range of pants for customers to choose from.
Without knowing your specific situation, here is my general advice:
If you want a tigher fit, stick with:
- Dickies Slim Straight-Fit Work Pant (873)
- Carahrtt Rugged Flex Straight Fit Duck Dungaree Pants
If you want a regular fit, stick with:
- Dickies Original (or Flex) 874 Work Pants
- Carhartt Rugged Relaxed-Fit Work Khaki Pant
If you want a loose fit, stick with:
- Dickies Loose-Fit Cargo Work Pant
- Carhartt Washed Duck Work Pant
Where to Buy 874 Pants?
Click here to buy the Dickies 874 pants at Amazon (affiliate links takes you to Amazon.com). In my experience, these were a size small in the waist. This is my favorite color for the Dickies 874 pants.