There are a wide variety of linen summer flat caps on the market today. Although all of these hats share similarities, linen newsboy caps usually have a rounder design than linen flat caps. The type and amount of panels can affect the shape of these linen Irish caps and can affect whether the cap fits loose or snug against your head.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best linen flat caps for summer:
- *My Favorite* John Hanly & Co. Slim Fit Linen Irish Cap (click here to view)
- *Vented Cap* Sterkowski Derby Summer Linen Flat Cap (click here to view)
- *Handmade* Hanna Hats of Donegal Flat Linen Irish Cap (click here to view)
- *8 Panel Newsboy* Bailey of Hollywood Shawk Linen Newsboy Cap (click here to view)
- *6 Panel Newsboy* Stetson Brooklin Linen Newsboy Cap (click here to view)
- *Classic Design* Stetson Lightweight Linen Ivy Cap (click here to view)
- *5 Panel Cap* Belfry Italia Arno Linen Lightweight Flat Cap (click here to view)
- *Lined Flat Cap* Stetson Woodfield Linen Summer Flat Cap (click here to view)
- *Pub Style* Belfry Italia Guy Linen Newsboy Cap (click here to view)
- *Low Profile* Sterkowski Lightweight Linen Ivy Cap (click here to view)
I prefer the John Hanly linen Irish cap because it has a slim fit design. I personally like a low-profile, slim fit design, which fits the shape of my head, and isn’t too baggy or loose. This John Hanly cap is made with lightweight, breathable linen that makes it a great flat cap for summer.
Other brands that I really like a lot are Sterkowski, Hanna Hats, Stetson and Bailey of Hollywood. The cool thing about the Sterkowski brand is they have been in business since the early 1900’s, but still to this day they operate as a smaller brand and don’t mass produce their hats. They value handmade, small batch production.
If you prefer a handmade hat, Hanna Hats is another good brand to consider. Their linen flat cap on the list above is handmade in Donegal Town, Ireland and has a classic design that features a single panel design on the top of the cap.
Linen newsboy caps, although often referred to as “flat caps”, have design differences when compared to traditional flat caps. A newsboy cap often has a six or eight-panel design that has a more rounded shape than a flat cap, and sits a bit taller on the head.
In this article let’s take a closer look at these linen flat caps for summer so you can find the perfect lightweight, breathable hat to get your through those hot summer months. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying summer flat caps.
Best Linen Flat Caps for Summer
John Hanly & Co. Slim Fit Linen Irish Cap
John Hanly & Co is a company located in Ireland that specializes in making throws, capes, scarfs and headwear. John Hanly & Co was established in 1893, and is still under the management of the Hanly family today. This John Hanely linen flat cap has a slim fit design, perfect for those who have a narrow-shaped head.
Here’s what this John Hanley linen Irish cap looks like:
This is the current price of this John Hanly cap available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this linen ivy cap:
- Paneling – This linen Irish cap has a three panel design which helps give it the slim, fitted design. The brim is slightly visible from the front of the cap, and is sewn down to help create the flat shape of the hat. This fat cap has a traditional design that won’t sit tall or baggy on your head.
- Linen – Yes, this summer flat cap is made with lightweight, breathable linen that will allow your head to breathe in hot weather. The linen is woven by Emblem Weavers, which has been in business since the early 1960’s and specializes in working with linen yarn.
- Design – Yes, this cap does have a lightweight cotton lining to help with perpetration. Again, this linen flat cap is design to have a snug, slim fit that won’t be baggy and loose. The linen is breathable and good for hot weather. If you prefer a rounder, looser fit, a linen newsboy cap will be the better option.
Click here to view this John Hanly flat linen Irish cap available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This summer flat cap also has an internal sweat band to help control perspiration in the hot weather.
Sterkowski Derby Summer Linen Flat Cap
As we discussed earlier, one thing I really like about the Sterkowski brand is they have been in business since the early 1900’s, but still to this day they operate as a smaller brand and don’t mass produce their hats. They value handmade, small batch production. This linen summer flat cap is unique because it also has a small vent panel in the back to make it even more breathable.
Here’s what this Sterkowski linen ivy cap looks like:
This is the current price of this Sterkowski linen flat cap available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this linen Irish cap:
- Paneling – This flat cap has a traditional design that highlights the one main panel across the top of the cap. The main thing that differentiates this cap from other summer flat caps is this Sterkowski Derby Cap has a small vent on the back of the cap to allow for additional airflow.
- Handmade – Still to this day Sterkowski prides itself on details and the handmaking process of building a cap. Yes, this summer flat cap is made with lightweight, breathable linen that will allow your head to breathe in hot weather.
- Design – This linen flat cap does have a lightweight mesh lining to help with moisture control. Has a traditional brim that is slightly visible from the front side of the cap and helps provide some extra weather protection. Although this cap is a flat cap, and won’t be as round as linen newsboy caps, this flat cap is not as narrow as the John Hanly cap we discussed first.
Click here to view this Sterkowski linen summer flat cap available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This cap also has an internal sweat band to help control perspiration in the summer months.
Stetson Brooklin Linen Newsboy Cap
Although newsboy caps are often referred to as flat caps, there are subtle design differences. These differences can obviously vary by brand, but most linen newsboy caps will have a rounder design than linen flat caps and linen ivy caps. Yes, there can be exceptions, and this Stetson linen newsboy cap does have a telescoping back which allows it to fit deeper on the head.
Here’s what this Stetson linen newsboy cap looks like:
This is the current price of this Stetson linen newsboy cap available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this cap:
- Paneling – This newsboy cap has a traditional six-panel design. Most newsboy caps have either a six panel design or an eight panel design. The six-panel newsboy caps tend to have a sleeker design than the eight-panel newsboy caps.
- Fabric – Yes, this newsboy cap is made with linen and has a lightweight, breathable design which allows it to be used during the hot summer months. The linen fabric has a herringbone pattern to help it stand out. This cap also has a lightweight lining for moisture control.
- Design – This cap has a small brim that is slightly visible from the front side of the cap. As we discussed above, perhaps the most important design feature to consider with this cap is the telescoping back which allows the cap to sit deeper on the head for a fitted look.
Click here to view this Stetson linen newsboy cap available at Amazon (paid affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This cap also has an internal sweat band to help control perspiration in the summer months.
Other Summer Linen Flat Caps to Consider
- Bailey of Hollywood Shawk Linen Newsboy Cap – This Bailey of Hollywood Shawk Cap is an 8-panel newsboy cap that will have a rounder, baggier shape than other types of flat caps. The bill sticks out slightly on the frontside of the cap. Yes, this newsboy cap is made with a lightweight linen fabric perfect for the warm spring and summer months. Click here to view this Bailey of Hollywood linen newsboy cap (paid affiliate link takes you to BaileyHats.com).
- Belfry Italia Arno Linen Lightweight Flat Cap – This Belfry 5-panel summer flat cap has the single panel in the front that dominates the top of the cap, but then has four accent panels in the back to help add shape and style to the cap. The 2-inch brim is sewn to the top of the cap. Yes, this summer flat cap is made with lightweight linen and is full lined for moisture control. Click here to view this Belfry Italia Arno lightweight linen Irish cap (paid affiliate link takes you to HatsintheBelfry.com).
- Stetson Lightweight Linen Ivy Cap – Looking for simple, classic design? That’s what this Stetson linen ivy cap delivers. A single panel top delivers a timeless design and, yes, this cap is made with a lightweight linen so that it provides the air flow and breathability needed on a hot summer day. If you don’t like the design of multiple panels on the top of your summer flat cap, this Stetson cap might be your best option. Click here to view this Bailey of Hollywood linen newsboy cap (paid affiliate link takes you to HatsintheBelfry.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Linen Flat Caps
How Should a Flat Cap Fit?
Flat caps should fit snug, but not too tight around the side of the head. The actual fit of the cap itself will vary depending on the paneling and design of the flat cap you choose.
For example, linen newsboy caps usually have a rounder design that fits a bit looser on the top of the head than traditional flat caps, although some newsboy caps may have a deeper back section that allows the cap to fit deep on the head (for example, Stetson Brooklin Cap on the list at the top of the page).
If you want to read more about how to size your linen Irish cap, visit this flat cap sizing guide. The main takeaway is that the actual fit of your flat cap will vary and depends greatly on the type of paneling the cap uses. Most linen flat caps fit low on the head.
Why do Flat Caps Have Buttons?
Certain types of linen Irish caps may have a button on the bill (this is also occasionally referred to as a peak stud fastener). Other types of flat caps will just sew the brim to the top of the cap, and this leaves some people wondering, why not sew all flat caps? What role does the button play?
A snap button on top of the brim allows you to adjust the fit of the cap. Some people appreciate the ability to dictate how flat the cap fits across the head, and a snap button helps provide that flexibility, and allows the cap to be pulled deeper on the head if needed. To read more, visit my article explaining the purpose of snap buttons on flat caps.
Breathability of Linen Ivy Caps
Many linen flat caps and linen newsboy caps will have an inner lining, which can help protect the cap from sweat. Because linen caps are designed for hot summer weather, some of these summer flat caps will not have a lining.
The Sterkowski Derby Cap on the list at the top of the page has a small vent on the back of the cap to allow for additional airflow. This might be a nice option for extremely hot weather where breathability is important.
Linen Flat Cap Alternatives
Linen is lightweight, breathable and perfect for hot summer months. But if you are shopping for a summer flat cap, what are your other fabric options and how do they compare to linen?
- Wool – Wool is a popular option for flat caps, but wool is more common for winter caps. But because wool is naturally water-resistant and breathable, it is also used in certain summer caps. Linen will be the lighter-weight choice.
- Polyester – Many summer flat caps will be made with breathable polyester material, and may even have ventilation throughout the cap. These types of hats are a great alternative to linen, and are sometimes easier to care for.
- Leather – Yes, leather is thicker and better for fall and winter, but because leather pairs so well with a wide range of outfits, it is also common for summer attire. To read more, visit our article about the best leather flat caps.
- Waxed Canvas – Waxed Canvas hats are popular because they offer durability and water-resistance. Although there are some types of flat waxed canvas hats, this type of material is more common in bucket hats.
- Corduroy – Corduroy is another material popular in flat caps, but it is best for cooler weather. To read more, visit our article about the best corduroy flat caps.
- Bucket Hat – Bucket hats are great for the summer months and help keep sun off the face. Obviously, the design of a bucket hat is much different than a flat cap. But if you want to explore options, visit our article about the best summer bucket hats.
Types of Flat Caps
- Linen Flat Cap – Linen ivy caps, linen Irish caps, linen cabbie caps, linen Gatsby caps, and linen Scally caps are all essentially the same thing (there may be some minor design differences regarding the shape and number of panels). All of these summer flat caps are designed to sit flat on the head and are basically one in the same.
- Linen Newsboy Cap – Most newsboy hats are designed slightly different than traditional flat caps. Newsboy hats often have a rounded six-panel or eight-panel design that sits a bit taller and baggier on the head than a flat cap. The brim is usually more noticeable on a newsboy cap than a flat cap. It’s important to note that flat caps will occasionally be referred to as newsboy caps, so this term can be used loosely at times.
- Linen Peaky Blinders Cap – Due to the rise in popularity of the show Peaky Blinders, many people often ask what type of hat does the character Thomas Shelby wear in Peaky Blinders? Although many people often refer to it as a flat cap, the cap that the character Thomas Shelby wears in Peaky Blinders is a newsboy cap, not a traditional flat cap.
- Linen Driving Cap – A linen driving cap can refer to the entire range of linen flat caps, linen ivy caps, and linen newsboy caps (and even other types of hats). Most driving hats have a low-profile design that can fit comfortably in the cab of a car.